We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which house to rent?

Which Nevis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
huntington, wv
reviews: 95
which house to rent?

My family is heading to Nevis for spring break in march, and have narrowed our lodging to 3 possibilities. One is a house right in the capitol; it would be great for the kids to wander into town and for us to walk home after dinner and drinks, but I'm concerned about noise. The house looks great but there are no reviews that mention traffic, noise, etc. The next is a house way in the south of the island--VERY private, which the house site readily admits. We know we will have to drive to do anything, but wondered what to expect travel-wise. We know it's not a big island, but if it is going to take 45 min to drive 10 miles I'd like to know that up front. The final is a house above the 4 seasons--it seems like a nice compromise between the other 2, but bedroom wise is not ideal. If anyone can give me any guidance I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Sidney, Canada
reviews: 15
1. Re: which house to rent?

Your message is not very specific for Nevis. For starters go to this very good site and scroll down for a wide choice of house/villa rentals: http://nevis1.com/nevis-villa-rental.html

Regardless of where you stay, you will need a car to explore, buy groceries, etc. Nevis isn't big but there is much to see and experience. Have fun, enjoy yourselves. Cheers, Richard.

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
reviews: 6
2. Re: which house to rent?

Like Viceroy says it would help if you identified the houses you are considering.

I'm guessing the one "on the south end of the island" is Black Sand Cove - if so it's a terrific house sitting on a small bluff above a "black sand" beach - you get 180 degree views of the Atlantic & Caribbean and at the time of year you'll be going you'll be able to see some incredible sunsets right from the veranda. The home is located about a 10 to 12 minute drive from Charlestown and the Caribbean side beaches.

Not sure which house "is right in the capitol" - but the fact that you can walk to town shouldn't be a big consideration. Most shops are closed at night and there aren't any of the "real" restaurants in town - just three chinese restaurants and a couple of very small "local" places none of which you'd regularly go for dinner and drinks - all of the better restaurants are nowhere near "town". There's really nothing for your kids to do if they "wander into town" in the evenings.

I'm also guessing the "house above 4 Seasons" is probably in the Fern Hill area - this is a very nice residential area and many of the homes have excellent views of the Caribbean.

If you want to explore the island, visit the Caribbean side beaches, dine out at the more popular restaurants, take part in various "tourist oriented activities, etc. you'll need a rental car no matter which house you rent

huntington, wv
3. Re: which house to rent?

you're right, black sand cove is one of them. the one in town is allamanda or something like that (my wife has all the info at home). don't recall the name of the other, but you're right it is in a gated community above the 4 seasons. thanks for the info--I was mainly worried that from black sand to town would be some huge ordeal

huntington, wv
4. Re: which house to rent?

And now my wife points out I never pay attention. There is no house in town; the one I thought was in town (allamanda or something like that) is at oualie beach, where the water sports are

Sidney, Canada
reviews: 15
5. Re: which house to rent?

Allamanda is just down the street (Oualie Lane, North) from us. Never been in it but has a good reputation. The Oualie area is great for being a nice neighbourhood, good beach, local hotel/bar and relatively close to major restaurants and historical attractions...and great beaches. Cheers, Richard.

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
reviews: 6
6. Re: which house to rent?

As you already surmised, Nevis s a small island - nothing is more than 20 to 25 minutes of so from any other place on the island. To put things in perspective if you drove the entire length of the main island road which circumvents the island you'd only drive 18 miles and there are no traffic lights.

Allamanda is just a few hundred yards from Oualie Beach Resort so you can easily walk to the beach - you will hear some "residual noise" (music) at the house on those nights when Oualie resort has entertainment but it usually ends by 10PM or 11PM. The only other place (of interest) within walking distance of Allamanda is Gallipot Restaurant (open on Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays for lunch & dinner and Sunday for Brunch).

I'm guessing again that the house in the "gated community" is in either Fern Hill 1, Fern Hill 2 or Fern Hill 3 which are all on the slopes of Nevis Peak at the edge of the rain forest "above the Four Seasons" - they are not, however, really within walking distance of 4S resort property. in fact, nothing is within walking distance of the houses in any of the Fern Hill Developments so you'll definitely need a rental car. As I mentioned, the Fern Hill developments are in a "residential area" so you won't be bothered by any noises other than the chirping of the tree fronts in the evenings. FYI - There's also a smaller "gated community" of Four Seasons known as Mahogany Hill that at the top end of the Four Season's Golf Course but I'm guessing you are not considering any of those as they are available only through the 4S resort.

Black Sand Cove is in a very secluded area - the nearest house is over 1/4 mile away. If you are looking for peace & quiet you'll love it there. You'll rarely see anyone on Black Sand Beach (and yes, the sand is BLACK) and you'll probably see less than 20 cars drive down the road past the house during your entire stay. There's a short path and stairway that leads from the edge of the home's property down the bluff to the beach. One thing you should know, the beach faces south so it's where the Atlantic meets the Caribbean - depending on the prevailing winds & currents during the week or so you are visiting the water can either be calm (good swimming) or somewhat rough (too rough for swimming). On "rough days" you should plan on visiting the Caribbean side beaches (nearest one about 10 minutes away, furthest one 20 minutes) if you want to go swimming in the sea.

Depending on what type of "house location" you want you'll probably be happy with any of the homes your short list.

7. Re: which house to rent?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, December 22, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Nevis
Recent Conversations