We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How late do water taxi's run from St. Kitts to Oualie?

Which Nevis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
How late do water taxi's run from St. Kitts to Oualie?

The last few days has seen a serious jump in airfare from Boston to St. Kitts when connecting in Miami on the flight that arrives in St. Kitts at 3:10. Then it's a water taxi to Nevis. That's how we have done it in past years but with the airfare increase I'm looking into alternatives.

There is a US Airways flight out of CLT but it does not arrive in St. Kitts until 4:30. Is that too late to safely make our way to Nevis that evening? Sure don't want to get stranded in St. Kitts.

Any thoughts, guidance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Bill

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
reviews: 6
1. Re: How late do water taxi's run from St. Kitts to Oualie?

I spoke to a couple of the Water Taxi Captains about this topic just recently because I learned American Airlines is adding flights from MIA and JFK that won't arrive on SKB until after 8:30PM. The water taxi Captains told me they would be doing "evening runs" to accommodate passengers on those flights so you should have no difficulty getting a water taxi to take you to Nevis earlier in the evening.

Boston
2. Re: How late do water taxi's run from St. Kitts to Oualie?

Thanks!

Boston
3. Re: How late do water taxi's run from St. Kitts to Oualie?

The added flights might also explain whey the route with 3:10 arrival jumped so much. When I looked up that flight this past Tuesday the cost was $766 RT; today $1281.

Northern Ohio
reviews: 13
4. Re: How late do water taxi's run from St. Kitts to Oualie?

I've taken the US Air flight from CLT that arrives SKB late afternoon a couple times and have never had any difficulty connecting with water taxis to Nevis.

Nevis
reviews: 29
5. Re: How late do water taxi's run from St. Kitts to Oualie?

Hi Bill,

Look forward to having you back. Tradewind Aviation have just started a premium scheduled service from San Juan to Nevis. I think it is 3 times a week. Beautiful plane. Have a look:

Tradewind Aviation, LLC

Phone: 203.267.3305

Fax 203.267.3310

Toll free: 800.376.7922

E-mail: charter@tradewindaviation.com

Edited: 4:59 pm, November 01, 2013
Boston
6. Re: How late do water taxi's run from St. Kitts to Oualie?

I sure don't understand the economics of the companies that run air services in the Caribbean! Our flight Boston to St. Kitts with a connection in Miami round trip cost $776/person. Tradewinds Aviation San Juan to Nevis is $760 RT. Windward Air about $500 RT.

We'll be there the first week of March. Hope you and your better half are on Island.

Bill

Northern Ohio
reviews: 13
7. Re: How late do water taxi's run from St. Kitts to Oualie?

Bill, CapeAir flies from SJU - NEV and is a United partner. I found by booking it as a United co-share flight that it's a lot cheaper. (Try UA's website or Travelocity or one of those guys.)

Worth a shot...

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
reviews: 6
8. Re: How late do water taxi's run from St. Kitts to Oualie?

Bill, I'm not sure if your comment about the economics of of running an air service company was "real" or just a way of venting but here's a brief explanation as to why the seeming short flight (SJU to NEV) costs about the same as your flight (BOS/MIA/SKB).

It's all about operating costs vs. the number of people on the flight. For example - the SJU/NEV flight is in a small plane that costs about $2,000/hour to operate, and the one way flight last 1 hour meaning about $4,000 operating costs for the R/T. Divide that by say 6 passengers and you get a cost of around $667/person. Add to that a modest profit factor and you get the $760 price you were quoted.

Now a modern 737 jet airliner costs about $8,500/hour to operate and it carries about 150 passengers so the hourly cost comes to about $57 per passenger. Flight time from BOS to MIA is about 3 1/4 hours and from MIA to SKB is 2 3/4 hours for a total of 6 hours making the cost per person for the flight about $342 one way or $684 R/T. After adding in the same modest profit you come up with a number close to what you paid for the flight.

Edited: 10:23 pm, November 01, 2013
Nevis
reviews: 29
9. Re: How late do water taxi's run from St. Kitts to Oualie?

Just this week a guy here managed to book a San Juan return with Cape Air for around $200. They occasionally do these great deal specials. It's worth a try. The Tradewinds flight is a very nicely equipped plane. I do understand your annoyance. It also pains me to have to spend $900 for a short return trip for two to Dominica.

We will be here Bill. Look forward to catching up.

Boston
10. Re: How late do water taxi's run from St. Kitts to Oualie?

Thanks CaribSurfer, That helps explain a lot. (My posting really was puzzlement rather then rant :-)

The airfares in the Caribbean always do seem high yet I know that most of the carriers that try to operate down there struggle financially. Then again, if I think about short haul here in the States compared to cross Continental, you see a similar pricing effect.

Thanks for the thoughtful comment.

Bill

Get answers to your questions about Nevis
Recent Conversations