We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Four Seasons to Downtown

Which Nevis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hartford, Vermont
reviews: 11
Four Seasons to Downtown

How many miles is it from the FS property to downtown Charlestown?

Can you walk on the beach or the main road to get downtown?

Indianapolis...
reviews: 58
1. Re: Four Seasons to Downtown

It is not far at all (a few miles max). I don't think you can walk the beach from the Four Seasons but I haven't tried to go that far either. I walked from the Four Seasons down to Double Deuce once and that was about a 15 minute walk. Hope this helps.

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
reviews: 5
2. Re: Four Seasons to Downtown

By road it's about 2 miles from the 4S main entrance to the center of downtown Charlestown. You can't walk the entire way along the beach. You can only go about 1/2 mile to Double Deuce, from there you have to walk along the road as there is "no beach" from that point on - only private waterfront property with a very rocky shore line.

Hartford, Vermont
3. Re: Four Seasons to Downtown

Is the walk fairly easy or will we be dodging cars and walking uphill?

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
4. Re: Four Seasons to Downtown

It's flat all the way from 4S to Charlestown. The roadbed is probably no more than 15' above sea level at the highest point along the route . There are no sidewalks so you'll be walking along the shoulder of the road (which is not very wide in some spots). It's the "main island road" so, yes, there will be cars passing you by all the time.

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
5. Re: Four Seasons to Downtown

For what it is worth, I just checked the distance on my odometer - along the main island road, it's 2.7 miles from the main entrance of the 4S to the center of Charlestown.

Boston...
6. Re: Four Seasons to Downtown

In driving around the island, I sometimes see people (visitors) walking this route. They usually don't look happy--maybe that's because it's mid-day or early afternoon and it's hot.

Make sure you have comfortable shoes, and water. Or, if you're walking just for exercise, go early in the morning.

Watch the traffic and remember that driving is on the left.

Hartford, Vermont
7. Re: Four Seasons to Downtown

Thank you all for the information provided. I have a habit of starting out, on foot to a destination whilst on the islands and wished, in retrospect that I took a bus or cab.

Nevis
reviews: 24
8. Re: Four Seasons to Downtown

Also don't bank on a pit stop at Double Deuce. It's not there any more!

Boston...
9. Re: Four Seasons to Downtown

Nilechamp, Double Deuce has closed?

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
10. Re: Four Seasons to Downtown

I haven't talked with the owners (Mark & Lynndita) in a few weeks but back then they were telling me the government was making them move because the land where the bar is located is going to developed (into what I don't know - lots of rumors around the island when it comes to these types of matters).

Anyway, I think they ceased operation within the past week or so and their phone has been temporally disconnected. I suspect they will reopen in some other location but it won't be for a while.

Edited: 2:17 pm, April 05, 2012