We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

restaurants and snorkeling near FS

Which Nevis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hartford, Vermont
reviews: 11
restaurants and snorkeling near FS

Traveling in July to Nevis and staying at the Four Seasons. Looking for restaurants within walking distance and best spot for snorkeling.

Is there a store near the FS to buy liquor, water and snacks? Don't want to pay $8 for a bottle of water at FS.

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
reviews: 6
1. Re: restaurants and snorkeling near FS

Restaurants within walking distance of 4S include Lime, Sunshines and chevy's (all beach bars and located in a cluster a few hundred yards south of the resort). Double Deuce Beach Bar is located at the far end of Pinney's Beach (perhaps 1/4 to 1/3 mile south of 4S. Seafood Madness is located across the parking area and street near Double Deuce. Ocean Bistro is located at the old Pinney's Beach Hotel (a hundred yards or so past Double Deuce).

The closest stores (Best Buy and Superfoods) are in Charlestown about a 10 minute drive from 4S. IGA ValueMart and Ram's are located at bit further away, about 15 minute drive.

Off beach snorkeling on Nevis is almost non-existent. There's some (but it's not very good) around the man-made breakwaters right in front of the 4S Resort. There's a small but interesting reef that you can reach from shore just off Herbert's Beach (not far from Nisbet Plantation Beach. From Nisbet's beach walk north along the beach 1/4 mile or so till you come to a jetty with a long pole sticking out over the water. About 100' from where the pole ends you'll see the beginning of a man-made reef. Swim parallel along the shore about 100' or so past the the end and you'll come to a small natural reef. The operative word here is small. You'll see all there is to see in about 15 minutes of snorkeling. The "best" (and i use that term very loosely) snorkeling in the area is at Shitten Bay off of St. Kitts and is accessible only by boat. Four Seasons runs 1/2 day sails that take you there. Honestly, Nevis is not noted for snorkeling. It's taken me longer to write these comments than it will for you to actually snorkel. To put things in perspective you rarely see anyone carrying snorkeling equipment on Nevis (or St. Kitts).

Hartford, Vermont
2. Re: restaurants and snorkeling near FS

The information you provided about snorkeling was very helpful. I guess I will leave my equipment at home.

Are there any restaurants in Charlestown where we can have lunch? If so, what would you recommend?

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
3. Re: restaurants and snorkeling near FS

For lunch are you specifically asking about places in Charlestown (it's a small town and most of the better restaurants are not located in Charlestown proper??

If so, in Charlestown you'll find:

Tea House Chinese

Gold Coast Chinese

Young's Chinese

Excellent Fast Food (Chinese)

Café des Arts (Salads, Sandwiches & Burgers)

Octagon Mermaid (Local Food)

The Yellow Truck by the ferry dock (Local Food)

Elements (Local Food)

Plus a few other very "local" type places.

Near Charlestown:

Ole Douse Cafe (sometimes referred to as "Old" House Cafe)

Rivier House

Rodney's Cuisine

Besides the places I mentioned in my first response that are within walking distance of the 4S you might consider these for lunch:

Chrishi Beach

Sunrise Beach Bar

Gallipot (Thursday through Sunday)

Paradise Drive-Thru

Nisbet Beach Bar

Mount Nevis Hotel

Bananas

The Thai Restaurant at Botanical Gardens

Nisbet Beach Bar

Hermitage Inn

Golden Rock Inn

Montpelier Inn

Mem's Pizza

Yachtsman's GrilOualie Beach

Of course you have several lunch and dinner options on the 4S Resort.

Remember too, Nevis is a small island and no place is more than a 15 to 20 minute drive from anyplace else.

Edited: 4:33 pm, February 05, 2012
Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
4. Re: restaurants and snorkeling near FS

Ops! Typo - The last restaurant is actually two: Yachtsman Grill and Oualie Beach

Happy eating.

Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 1
5. Re: restaurants and snorkeling near FS

My fiance and I are coming to Nevis in May. Neither of us has ever been to the Caribbean. I hear where snorkeling on Nevis is not very good. However, since I am not able to compare it to other Caribbean islands, do you think it is worth going on a snorkeling trip or are we better suited to spend money elsewhere?

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
6. Re: restaurants and snorkeling near FS

The snorkel trip is not just about snorkeling - but also about spending an afternoon sailing the Narrows between St. Kitts & Nevis and seeing both islands from the sea all the while enjoying the company of the other guests as you listen to island music and have a few cold drinks. It's certainly a pleasant way to spend an afternoon.

Now, have you ever been snorkeling? If so, where?. If you've snorkeled in places like Belize, the BVI's, Bonaire or the Great Barrier Reef you'll find that the snorkeling around Nevis doesn't compare. If, however, you've never been snorkeling or you've only done a modest amount you'll find the snorkeling trip from Nevis to be an enjoyable experience. It all depends on what you are comparing it to and what size budget you have for activities.

To put things in some perspective - many of us who live on the island get together once or twice a year and do a private charter on the same boat you'd be taking. Everyone always enjoys themselves even though we've all done it numerous times.

Hartford, Vermont
7. Re: restaurants and snorkeling near FS

We would love to take a catamaran trip whilst on Nevis that includes lunch, snorkeling and cocktails. A sailboat would be fine as well. Can you make some recommendations for best outfit to book with?

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
8. Re: restaurants and snorkeling near FS

For either a half or full day private sail charter contact Nevis Yacht Charters (www.sailnevis.com).

If you are interested in doing a 1/2 day sail/snorkeling trip on the Catamaran Caona (a "group boat") contact Captain Lennox at 869-669-0154 or through Leeward Islands Charters: leewardislandscharters.com/our-catamarans/…

You can also book a trip on Caona through: booknevis.com/2010110119/Nevis-Island-Activi…

9. Re: restaurants and snorkeling near FS

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:33 am, May 16, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Nevis