We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants / Things to Do??

Which Nevis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York, NY
reviews: 2
Restaurants / Things to Do??

Hi - My husband and I are coming to Nevis this month for our "last hurrah" before baby. We are staying at the Four Seasons for 6 nights, but opted not to do the dinner meal plan because we'd like to try a few places on the Island. Any suggestions on restaurants to go to (outside the FS) which are either romantic or fun/casual? I have read a few things about Montpelier Inn, Coconut Grove, Bananas, and Miss June's - but would like to hear some concrete advice/suggestions. Also - any suggestions activities/things to do/excursions that would be fun? (I am 4 mos pregnant - but still like to be active). Thanks in advance!!!

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
reviews: 6
1. Re: Restaurants / Things to Do??

It's hard to know what you mean by "concrete advice/suggestions" since everything you read or hear from people is going to be essentially the same information.

That said I'll offer the following:

Restaurants - Montpelier has, perhaps, the most romantic dining spot on the island. The food is consistantly very good and the atmosphere can't be beat. Ask if they are serving dinner in the Sugar Mill, if so, book it. If not dining on the terrace is a onderfull experience. Coconut Grove is very good (probably the best and most extensive wine list on the island) and is one of the most expensive places on the island. Gary and his wife are wonderful hosts. Bananas is good for as slightly less formal dinner environment. Miss Junes is an altogether different dining experience. The food is served buffet style and consists of a lot of cassoroles, curries, and West Indiand type dishes. The draw of this place is it's like attending a dinner party with 10 or 12 other strangers. You go yhere for the experience not necessarilly the food. Miss June's is only open one or two nights a week and because it's off-season in June may not be open at all. If you want a very nice meal in a quiet setting have dinner at Mount Nevis Hotel. The food is quite good and you dine on the veranda overlooking the lights of St. Kitt's southern penninsula. For more casual dining try Double Douce Beach Bar (at the south end of Pinney's Beach), Le Bistro (in Charlestown) or Pizza Beach (near the airport). Another good beach restaurant is Gallipot, however, it has closed for the season and won't re-open until November.

As for things to do, you can visit the Nevis Museum, the Admiral Nelson Museum, the Botanical Gardens, The Nevis Village, explore the old ruins at Coconut Walk and the Eden Brown house (if you happen to be on-island during the full moon you might even see Eden Brown's ghost). There are several old churches on the island and if you feel up to it you might want to take an easy hike through the rain forest or perhaps up to the top of Saddle Hill where there is an old fortification and lookout post dating back to the days of Admiral Nelson. Take a day sail on Canoa (leaves from Four Seasons dock several days each week) for a snorkel trip to Shitten Bay (off of St. Kitts). You can take he ferry to St. Kitts for a day and explore the Fortress at Brimstone Hill, the petroglyphics, the Batik Factory at Romney Mannor and the Black Rocks.

For more on what to do or see on Nevis go to: www.nevis1.com

New York, NY
reviews: 2
2. Re: Restaurants / Things to Do??

thanks so much for your detailed advice suggestions!! very much appreciated!

Basseterre, St...
reviews: 4
3. Re: Restaurants / Things to Do??

Other popular restaurants in Nevis are Cafe des Arts, Mingles, Rumours, Seafood Madness, Chevy's Beach Bar a short walk from the Four Seasons, and Oualie Beach Resort restaurant.

For more island info visit www.nevisisland.com and www.stkittstourism.kn

For a tour of Nevis I highly recommend Biddy Weekes. He is very knowledgeable and friendly. You can e-mail him at bernardweekes@hotmail.com

Have a great time!

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
reviews: 6
4. Re: Restaurants / Things to Do??

Liz - Sorry but Mingles closed it's doors for good the first week in May.

Nevis
reviews: 29
5. Re: Restaurants / Things to Do??

If you are planning a visit to Bananas try scheduling it for Wednesday. They have live music in a very romantic setting.

For something livelier, Double Deuce have Karaoke on Thursday. They have just extended their menu and this weekend I had a fantastic seared and peppered tuna steak salad for just 20 EC$ !

Indianapolis...
reviews: 65
6. Re: Restaurants / Things to Do??

Hi lbfreedman:

I have been to Nevis a few times and here is what I would recommend.

RESTAURANTS -

Montpelier Plantation Inn is by far the best restaurant on the island. It is very romantic and relaxing and I would recommend you eat here 2 times. They have a sugar mill which you can dine in for a little extra $$ and my fiancee and I are still punching ourselves for not taking advantage of that. I would recommend that you do that one night.

You mentioned Coconut Grove. This is a very neat place however it is definitely overpriced and overrated. The owner wasn't the friendliest person. Plus to get the equivalent of a bowl of French Onion Soup is $14 US dollars. We spent over $150 there and we didn't get a bottle of wine (both just got 1 drink) plus we didn't get dessert. So I would skip this if I were you.

Miss Junes I think will be closed due to it being low time. I have never been able to go here but I have heard nothing but good things so if it is open I would definitely do this one night.

If you want a more casual dinner, one place which is a MUST is Chevy's Bar and Grill which is about a 2 minute walk on the beach from the Four Seasons. Right next to the Four Seasons is Sunshines which everybody writes about. Go right past that and 1 more minute is Chevys. At Sunshines the people are rude and the food was overrated. Much different experience at Chevy's. Chevy (the owner) is an amazing cook (don't go here if you are in a hurry though) and after he cooks for you he will come out and talk with you and is just the nicest guy. Even when we didn't eat there, we had a few drinks there in the afternoon and just chatted with Chevy. Plus beers there are $2 compared to $5.50 at the Four Seasons. MUST TRY.

I would recommend the Double Deuce for lunch one day. It is about a 10-15 minute walk down the beach from the Four Seasons. This place was started by the former executive chef at the Montpelier Plantation Inn, Mark Roberts. They have the best burger I have ever tasted.

Hermitage is another Plantation Inn with good food. It is not near as good as the Four Seasons but it was a very good meal in a very relaxing and pretty setting.

ACTIVITIES - There are a few things I would recommend you do on Nevis. In case you didn't know, Nevis is home to lots of green monkeys (you will see then everywhere from the roads to the golf course). My fiancee and I took a monkey tour which we booked through concierge at the Four Seasons and we were taken up around the Golden Rock Plantation and given an hour and a half tour about the monkeys and in the process we saw hundreds of them. I would highly recommend that.

Also even if you are not golfers, I recommend you take a golf cart tour of the Four Seasons golf course. It takes place at 4:30 (I believe) and you reserve your spot at concierge. It is a free tour. They take you around the course where you see monkeys plus you see some of the most amazing views you can see anywhere. The golf course goes up a volcano which provides great views of the Caribbean Sea and neighboring St. Kitts. Take your camera!!

Please e-mail me at stlfan22@email.com if you have any questions or want any additional information. You selected the perfect location in my opinion for a luxurious and relaxing vacation.

7. Re: Restaurants / Things to Do??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 pm, September 02, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Nevis