We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about beaches and monkeys

Baltimore, MD
Questions about beaches and monkeys

Hi, We are traveling to St Kitts on a cruise this June and I am torn as to where to spend the day--I have read reviews and we want the beach experience and my daughter who is six wants to make sure the beach we choose--She will get to see the animals especially the monkeys!

I have read that turtle beach was the place where all of the monkeys are; however, I am reading the best beaches are Cockshells and Regaee Beach? Are the monkeys there too?

Or even South Frias Beach?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
reviews: 5
1. Re: Questions about beaches and monkeys

Monkeys roam wild on St. Kitts so one can never be sure when or where you might encounter them. When you do actually see them most likely it will only be for a brief moment (such as crossing the road while you are driving) as they are often quite shy of humans. That said, you have an equal chance of encountering monkeys on the approach roads to any of the beaches on your list or seeing them in the fields and pasture areas surrounding those beaches which are all on the southern peninsula. You should know that you probably won't see monkeys "on the beach" as that's not their normal habitat. (FYI - there's no "Raggae Beach" - it's actually the name of a Beach Bar on Cockelshell Beach.)

Cockelshell and Soiuth Friars have more facilities (beach bars, lounge chair & umbrella rentals, etc.) for tourists and would be your best bet to get your beach time. Turtle Beach is now more of a "private residential" beach. The only place there where you could possibly get something to eat or drink is the very upscale Beach House Restaurant , however, I'm pretty sure it is currently closed.

Baltimore, MD
2. Re: Questions about beaches and monkeys

Thank you for your very informative response. I really appreciate it. Cockshells Beach seems to be the best choice for our day in St Kitts.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 6
3. Re: Questions about beaches and monkeys

Your best bet to see monkeys if your are on island for such a brief time, is to head over to Shipwreck Bar on South Friars Bay. The staff there have a daily routine whereby the feed a group of monkeys that seem to live in the hill adjacent to the bar. They "call" the monkeys by striking two rocks together (I believe) and they are now trained to come down when they hear the sound. Then they feast on cut up apples and bananas. Fun to watch.

It is a nice strip of beach, and Shipwreck serves great drinks and a decent lunch with daily specials.

camp hill
reviews: 10
4. Re: Questions about beaches and monkeys

Shipwreck is the place to go for the best "Monkey Photos" I agree I seem to remember its around noon every day when they feed them.

st kitts
reviews: 2
5. Re: Questions about beaches and monkeys

Shipwreck is by far the best place to go to see monkeys! Its also my favorite beach on the island and the beach bar is very family friendly. Have fun!

Boston...
reviews: 6
6. Re: Questions about beaches and monkeys

If you want to see monkeys REALLY close up, and if there's a cruise ship coming that day, go to Port Zante. There are some locals who bring monkeys (in diapers!) to Port Zante as lots of tourists want to have their photos taken with the monkeys. Your daughter can hold a monkey, or have it perched on her shoulder!

7. Re: Questions about beaches and monkeys

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, August 12, 2010
Get answers to your questions about St. Kitts