We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scuba exposure suit

central missouri
reviews: 107
Scuba exposure suit

Greetings! Planning to scuba April 14-19. Any suggestions on exposure suit? Think my 3/2 will be warm enough?I realize everyone is different, just looking for general ideas. Thank you.

Bobkat1955

New York
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
reviews: 42
1. Re: Scuba exposure suit

I only wear a skin. When I was doing 3 dives a day for 2 weeks I would start to get a bit cold at the end. My husband wears a shortie and my kids wear rash guards. I am the type of person who is more likely to get chilly than they are. You will see DM's wearing layers and some even hoodies, however, these guys and gals are never hanging out on the beach etc., and are diving several days (with the happy day off diving doing tanks!) so they don't have a chance to replenish their core body heat. Unless you are someone who has a very low natural body temp you should be just fine!!!! Most of the working DM's I know avoid air conditioning, if you aren't doing that, you should have no worries! Happy diving.

central missouri
2. Re: Scuba exposure suit

Your comments are very informative and I feel more comfortable now. Thanks very much!

Bobkat1955

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
reviews: 85
3. Re: Scuba exposure suit

My partner and I both wear dive skins whenever we come to Cayman and have only started feeling cold after 4 days of boat dives each day, with an occasional shore dive thrown in. Our friends that we travel with regularly are split - she wears a dive skin and he just swimming shorts and a t-shirt.

The only time we have ever felt cool was back on the boat, but even that isn't often.

So, as you say, everyone is different, but that's our comfort level diving on Cayman.

central missouri
4. Re: Scuba exposure suit

Thank you, really appreciate your advice.

Bobkat1955

central missouri
5. Re: Scuba exposure suit

I used a 3/2 and it was perfect. Went as deep as 100 ft, probably averaged around 55 ft. Was very comfortable the entire time. Thanks for the advice.

Edited: 6:35 pm, April 26, 2013
6. Re: Scuba exposure suit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, April 28, 2014