We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Compare snorkle in cayman brac to cozumel?

Austin, Texas
reviews: 22
Compare snorkle in cayman brac to cozumel?

I have snorkled in Cozumel and Vieques, Puerto Rico, and Bermuda. Has anyone been to one of these places and Caymen Brac to compare it for me. I want to make sure the snorkle experience will be good. THANKS!!!

New York
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
reviews: 41
1. Re: Compare snorkle in cayman brac to cozumel?

I have snorkeled on the Brac but considering that the diving in the Cayman Islands is world class and it is not in the other places you mentioned, my guess is that it would stand to reason that the snorkeling is better too. Why are you picking the Brac over Grand Cayman???

Cambridge, Ontario...
reviews: 5
2. Re: Compare snorkle in cayman brac to cozumel?

Never been to Brac, but have done a lot of snorkeling in Bermuda. Snorkeling in Grand Cayman is much better.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
reviews: 16
3. Re: Compare snorkle in cayman brac to cozumel?

If you consider Grand Cayman, here is a look at what is in store for you.

http://snorkelblog.tumblr.com/

I found that the snorkeling on Cayman Brac was good, but certainly did not exceed what you can find in Grand Cayman. I can not make comparisons with your previous destinations, however. You might also consider Little Cayman, where the snorkeling is excellent.

Edited: 4:37 pm, February 17, 2013
New York
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
reviews: 41
4. Re: Compare snorkle in cayman brac to cozumel?

Sorry I meant I have not snorkeled In Cayman Brac, don't really do much snorkeling anywhere anymore, just diving. But I am if you have never visited the Cayman Islands before, I am surprised that your first choice would be the smallest and most isolated of the islands considering the other destinations you have mentioned.

Chesapeake, Virginia
reviews: 21
5. Re: Compare snorkle in cayman brac to cozumel?

I snorkeled in Cozumel in 2006, we were there for 9 days and snorkeled for about 4 hours each day. We went to many different snorkel sites all over Cozumel and also took the ferry to the eco park on the mainland to snorkel. We snorkeled in Grand Cayman for the last two years for 4 to 6 hours each day. I think the snorkeling in GC is so much better, for me it is like night and day. Go to Testudo's website like Kiddos recommended and if you follow his directions you will have a wonderful time. Following his directions you will see beautiful coral and fish!! We are going back this year to GC for 19 days in July and we can hardly wait. I know GC is not Cayman Brac but I thought I would give you my opinion on what I saw. I hope you have a great time wherever you go:)

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
6. Re: Compare snorkle in cayman brac to cozumel?

frenchies -10: Nineteen days! Wonderful. We have worked up to sixteen and would never be opposed to adding a few more. We had the opportunity last year when US Airways cancelled some weekday flights but had to return for my daughter's wedding. Maybe this year............

Austin, Texas
reviews: 22
7. Re: Compare snorkle in cayman brac to cozumel?

Thanks for all the info. We decided on brac because it is smaller. After being in Vieques and being the only people on the beaches most of the time I never want to go back where there are a lot of tourists. I read Grand Cayman was pretty crowded, was that bad info?

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
8. Re: Compare snorkle in cayman brac to cozumel?

Inaccurate info, I would say. While the Seven Mile Beach area is built up, the beach areas are quiet. There are crowds found at the areas which cater to cruise passengers and at a couple of the hotels, but the condo beaches are occupied by the guests. Folks who want to be in a less developed or less populated area of Grand Cayman choose rentals in the East End, North Side or Cayman Kai/Rum Point areas. There are a vast number of private homes along stretches of quiet and secluded beaches. We snorkel along the North Side and rarely see another person.

By the way, the Brac, while less developed than Grand Cayman, is not known for it's sandy beach areas. We had to drive to a public beach area along the south side of the island to swim. Our rental, while waterfront, was along a jagged ironshore and access to the water was impossible. Again, I would suggest Little Cayman over the Brac if you really don't care to stay in Grand Cayman. The are more beach areas to be found but, with the exception of the resorts, they are in their natural state.

Do some research before you choose the island you would prefer.

Chesapeake, Virginia
reviews: 21
9. Re: Compare snorkle in cayman brac to cozumel?

Kiddos - I would stay longer if I could:) Do you think it is worth a day trip to snorkel?

Luvtheseaside - we stayed at the Anchorage and Discovery Point condos and it was very quiet, like Kiddos said very few people on the beach. Loved it. Last year we drove to The Retreat condo area to snorkel so much this year we are staying at the Retreat condo. We love the snorkeling at Rum Point Coral Gardens, Rum Point Barrier Reef, Queen's Monument and we want to go to Barefoot Beach also.

central missouri
reviews: 84
10. Re: Compare snorkle in cayman brac to cozumel?

I've been to Cozumel twice, Bermuda twice, and Vieques. I'm going to the Brac in April. I'll let you know what I think. I'm a diver, but my wife snorkels.