We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bringing meat to the brac

Anacortes...
Bringing meat to the brac

I am wanting to know about bringing meat to the brac in a cooler. I've read that you can do this and may have to pay a duty. Can we bring a small cooler of meat from Miami to GC to CB? Is there anything we should know before doing this? This is our second trip to the brac so I understand about the shopping and deliveries on the barge. I'm just needing info on bringing meat in a cooler. Thanks!

New York
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
reviews: 41
1. Re: Bringing meat to the brac

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147370-i2049-k507…

I don't know because I have never brought meat over to Grand Cayman much less the Brac. Maybe the above link will give you some insight. I will tell you that I know personally of one horrible store about a cooler that was opened by security in the US and was shipped on to BVI. The travelers had a stinking rotten mess to get rid of, hundreds of dollars for lost food and had to find a way to stock a sailing boat for 4 adults and 3 kids late on a Saturday night before they set sail on Sunday morning . . . I would rather buy the food there or see about a grocery service. Anyway good luck and maybe someone who has done it or knows of a food service etc will chime in. Depending on your layover there is a big supermarket right next to the airport where you could purchase the cooler and everything else!

Cayman Brac
reviews: 5
2. Re: Bringing meat to the brac

I have never brought meat from Miami but I have from Grand Cayman to Brac on many occasions. Cayman Airways give coolers priority. Make sure to tell them that meat is in there.

I packed my meat with regular ice.

I prefer the jet due to weight restrictions. You shouldn't have to pay duties between the island and as long as you don't spend over the limit of bringing goods in the country, you won't have to pay duties coming out of Miami either.

Toronto
reviews: 39
3. Re: Bringing meat to the brac

Didn't have an issue last Aug. Make sure the packs are still in a sealed store wrapping with price sticker or receipt. All the customs office asked me was "is the meat in it's original wrapping?" to which I replied yes and off we went. No $ to pay though it is possible you might have to pay duty. I guess it depends on the agent and his mood that day.

I was told by Marin (on island) that the twin otter flights will make sure the meat goes if you tell them first. Great...We had to spend HOURS in Grand Cayman as I wasn't sure if the cooler might sit until the next day if the luggage hold was full, so I booked the jet. That was a LONG day, never again! I've already got my twin otter flights booked for this year. Sure I'll pay for the 4th bag but we spent a lot more on tourist food and taxi's while killing time on GC, not to mention being tired/bored/hot/fed-up etc etc.....

I packed it with dry ice and it made to the villa at 8:30pm (packed at 5am) still solidly frozen.

Edited: 1:12 pm, January 10, 2013
Toronto
reviews: 39
4. Re: Bringing meat to the brac

We use a beer can cooler which fits in a smaller suitcase. Works perfectly and is great for bringing back delicate items.

Edited: 1:15 pm, January 10, 2013
Anacortes...
5. Re: Bringing meat to the brac

Thanks all, for the info. I appreciate your advice!!!

6. Re: Bringing meat to the brac

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, January 17, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Cayman Brac