We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scuba diving certification

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 44
Scuba diving certification

My son wants to get certified while on vacation. Is this possible here? and what is the approx. cost? I would appreciate any advice. We will be there in feb.

Massachusetts
reviews: 10
11. Re: Scuba diving certification

I agree with those who say to do your classroom and poolwork at home. I am NAUI certified. We did all of our classroom and bookwork over a 10 week session at our local dive shop. I remember on the first class in the water being terrified when the instructor said that we would have to be able to remove all our gear and put it back on. I said no way, I'll never be able to do that. By the time we left for Cayman, we were comfortable with our gear and the skills necessary. Our DM at Ocean Frontiers said we were some of the best prepared that she had ever encountered for a checkout dives. We even had to use most of our rescue skills learned during that trip due to a diver on our boat who had a panic attack at 70'.

Our friends did a three day Y class at home and came to Cayman for their checkout dives. They admitted that they didn't feel fully prepared.

IMHO, the better prepared in advance, the more smooth your checkout experience will be. Sure, you can do it all online or in Cayman, but are your really prepared?

Cayman Brac
12. Re: Scuba diving certification

For the original poster - who I believe had posted this query in the Cayman Brac forum because he/she is coming to the Brac; there are two different dive operations on the Brac: Reef Divers which is based at Brac Reef Beach Resort, and The Brac Scuba Shack which is independent and has just recently opened (but with an very experienced instructor who has been here for years). My suggestion would be to check out their websites and contact both to ask them personally what their options are and get a price from each.

http://bracscubashack.com/

http://www.bracreef.com/diveOperator.html

Toronto
reviews: 46
13. Re: Scuba diving certification

Personally I'd go with Martin from the Scuba Shack. He saved our dive vacation after things didn't work out (understatement) with the reef resort.

Martin was an excellent DM and his stories made the surface interval fly by! We had such a good time we are diving with him next year. (and booked Seafan Meadows again too!). His equipment is also brand new as well.

14. Re: Scuba diving certification

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, December 20, 2013