We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cayman Brac North or South side?

Illinois
reviews: 1
Cayman Brac North or South side?

Traveling to Cayman Brac first time in March 2012 and deciding between two vacation rentals. One is on the North side and the other on the South side. Anyone know the "preferred" area? I'm sure it's beautiful either side, but wanted to hear from anyone that has been there.

We don't dive, but love the water and will do snorkeling.

Thanks.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
reviews: 16
1. Re: Cayman Brac North or South side?

We preferred the beach on the south side, and found the snorkeling was better on the north side. The island is so small that you can drive from north to south in a very short time so where you stay would just be a matter of personal preference.

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
2. Re: Cayman Brac North or South side?

Do either of the houses have easy access into the water? That might be something to consider. Is the south side house near the Brac Reef area (west end) or the other end of the island. We stayed on the north side and couldn't really go into the water---too many sea urchins---but we had a lovely view.

SW Colorado
reviews: 12
3. Re: Cayman Brac North or South side?

We just stayed a week on Brac in a VRBO on south side called the Brac Getaway. It was perfect, snorkeling just outside the door, saw puffer fish, spotted eagle ray, all kind of great stuff. North side does have more options, the dock accross from the police station is good snorkeling, as is bucaneer reef and Radar reef. Its best to have a booty style fin setup becasue there are urchins and the ironshore is very sharp, but I got away without booties beigh very careful where I stepped. Public beach is also a great snorkel site on the south side, go out past the break and you will see all knids of stuff.

Eugene, Oregon...
4. Re: Cayman Brac North or South side?

I've been doing a lot of research on cayman brac. Are there any sandy beaches that you can swim without having to use water shoes? There are a lot of home rentals that appear to have some sandy beache, but,it's really hard to tell...I really want to avoid the business of grand cayman, but, feel if I want to swim without stepping on coral, it's my only option.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
5. Re: Cayman Brac North or South side?

We swam at the Public Beach on the south side of Cayman Brac. We rented a home that was oceanfront, had a sandy beach area and impossible access to the water over the ironshore. That is not the case will all rentals on the Brac but it was our experience.

Also, if you are researching, you will find that Grand Cayman has less developed and quiet areas, as well. Not all of Grand Cayman is " business ". You can see some rentals in the Rum Point and Cayman Kai areas at caymanvillas.com, grandcaymanvillas.net if you are interested.

Edited: 2:50 pm, February 14, 2012
Cayman Brac
6. Re: Cayman Brac North or South side?

Cayman Brac has very little sandy beach, it is mainly ringed with ironshore, so if you are purely looking for long, white sandy beaches it is not the place for you. However, this does not mean there are no places to go in the water easily without booties. One of the best places to swim is Buccaneer's Barcadere which has a step ladder bolted into the rocks and is a natural pool cut out of the rock - on a clam day it is absolutely beautiful and perfect for swimming. You can also get in easily by the old Divi Tiara hotel on the South Side, at Panama Canal opposite the Police Station on the North East end of the island, at the Admin Dock in Stake Bay on the North Side and without too much difficulty just east of Public Beach. I have lived here for 6 years and cannot say I have been to all the houses on the island, but certainly there are very few, if any, that have direct access to the water from a sandy beach with no rocks in the water - in fact the only one I can think of is the one I live in which is a few yards west of the beach at Divi! The plus side of the lack of sandy flats is that there is lots of excellent snorkelling almost as soon as you enter the water - those long sandy stretches are good for entry and exit but rarely have anything to see there!

Eugene, Oregon...
7. Re: Cayman Brac North or South side?

I think that answers my question. I've been to GC once and loved it, but Cayman Brac caught my attention with it's size, lower housing costs, wildlife, hiking & caving. My family (including 2 teen boys) likes to be active, but,we will also be taking grandparents that have never left the U.S.& have never seen a white sandy beach with Azure waters. Rethinking GC...I thought I read a review that Rum Point was hard to swim due to turtle grass? I love 7 mile beach, but, are there any other beaches that you would recommend that aren't surrounded by condos/hotels?

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
8. Re: Cayman Brac North or South side?

Giving this thread a boost so those who stay at the Retreat at Rum Point or other properties in the vicinity can accurately address swimming and beach conditions there.

Mount Tabor, New...
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
reviews: 18
9. Re: Cayman Brac North or South side?

The beach at the Retreat has sandy "pathways" out to the deeper water (deep being 4-5 feet) from the crescent beach. I recommend water shoes since there are some rocks, but would not say they are mandatory (I do not use them). The water entrances closer to the pier from the casuarina trees are sandy and rock free.

The beach at the rum point club and properties further down Sand Point Rd. are pure sand out into the water as well.

Hard to beat the million shades of electric turquoise blue in that area when the midday sun is overhead.

10. Re: Cayman Brac North or South side?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:08 pm, April 26, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Cayman Brac