We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good place to stay on 7 mile beach

Which Seven Mile Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Baltimore, Maryland
Good place to stay on 7 mile beach

Hi all,

We have booked our flights for the first week in February. We now have to decide where to stay within our budget. I have narrowed it down to anchorage and discover point condos, the sunshine suites hotel, and a place called poinsettia, which I haven't found many reviews on. We are not divers, but hope to be walking distance to many restaurants and shops. That being said, we don't want to battle with cruise crowds too often when they are docked.

Can anyone comment on these places as far as amenities, pools, location, and what is nearby?

Thanks

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
reviews: 16
1. Re: Good place to stay on 7 mile beach

While there are other budget friendly places to stay along Seven Mile Beach, I will comment on the four properties you mentioned. Scratch Pointsettia, it is at the southernmost end of Seven Mile Beach and a very rocky area which is not conducive to easy water access. Sunshine Suites is not on the beach but a short walk away. It is the most centrally located of your properties, closest walking distance to restaurants and shops. The other two, Anchorage and Discovery Point are in the northern end of Seven Mile Beach with much less within walking distance. Most people who stay there rent a car or utilize the bus system. Of those two, I would choose Discovery Point over Anchorage for it's larger beach and pool areas. There can be some rocks at the water entry at Discovery Point but you can always find a sandy area to get into the water easily.

Kansas
reviews: 34
2. Re: Good place to stay on 7 mile beach

Kiddos, just curious, do you have a favorite "budget friendly" SMB condo complex other than those listed by OP?

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
reviews: 10
3. Re: Good place to stay on 7 mile beach

Depends upon how many of you are traveling, what you consider "budget friendly" and how far you expect to go for restaurants/shopping.

I totally agree staying along Northern part of SMB in a condo, despite need for rental car to access restaurants, shopping, etc, would be not only a wise choice, but also one you will enjoy. Savings really mount up being able to have breakfast, lunch, snacks, drinks on hand in the unit, you will be directly beachfront, short drive to grocery and liquor stores, shopping options and many restaurants of all types and price points within a 5-10 minute drive.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
4. Re: Good place to stay on 7 mile beach

KansasMamabear, while I don't know if I would call it a " favorite ", my first choice in that area would be Aqua Bay. It is north of the other properties with a great beach and oceanfront pool ( we never use a pool, by the way ), nice direct oceanfront units with screened patios. We had our unit selected but need accomodations which will allow my husband to erect his radio antenna. Aqua Bay could not allow it so we could never stay there. We no longer stay in condos, like the independence and actually prefer that there is no housekeeping. The housekeepers anywhere we stayed were all wonderful but always seemed to come by at lunchtime.

The northern end of Seven Mile Beach reminds me of how the central section used to be, minus the Chinese Restaurant and the old Foster's shopping area across the street. We stayed in that area pre-Strand, pre-Ritz and before the new, taller properties were built. It holds no appeal to me now.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
5. Re: Good place to stay on 7 mile beach

Oh, and I meant that staying in the central area is not appealing to us. We do venture there to eat at Edoardo's and Copper Falls, and to the liquor store : )

We'll be in Cayman 2 weeks from today. We are using Cayman Shoppers for the first time since we are arriving on a Sunday.

Upper Saddle River...
reviews: 5
6. Re: Good place to stay on 7 mile beach

We just returned from GC on 8/19. We ate at the grill at Sunshine Suites several times. It is delicious, however, do NOT stay there. Sunshine Suites ARE NOT on the beach. They are across the street from The Westin which is on the beach. I would recommend The Anchorage or Discovery Cove. We rented a car and honestly, for the money it's totally worth it. If you rent at the airport you save the money you'd spend on a taxi from the airport. Our 5-day rental for a mid-size car was $95 (however we opted for extra insurance which increased our total). We rented from Avis at the Ritz. In hindsight we would have rented at the airport; taxi from the airport was $15/per person and would have paid for the car for an entire day! Having the car made it easy to shop for groceries, get takeout (pizza, Chicken Chicken, etc.) and explore the island all the way to Rum Point. This way you could stay at a more affordable condo like Anchorage (and it has a beautiful beach) and it's location to shops etc won't be an issue.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
reviews: 4
7. Re: Good place to stay on 7 mile beach

Kiddos - where do you stay that you do not have to have housekeeping? I thought it was mandatory. I find it very annoying, because as you said, they are always there when we are coming in to make lunch.

We have stayed at Discovery Point 3 times and like it very much. However, I would not stay there without a car.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
8. Re: Good place to stay on 7 mile beach

bluewater43: We rent a private home now where housekeeping is optional. I don't miss it at all.

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
9. Re: Good place to stay on 7 mile beach

We stay at Kaibo and do not have housekeeping there and we don't miss it either. It used to seem like the housekeepers were coming in the same time as we were coming in from the beach....and they always took a long time.

Knoxville, Tennessee
reviews: 21
10. Re: Good place to stay on 7 mile beach

Some owners of private condos/villas offer housekeeping as an option at an extra charge. Many do so to keep their rental rates lower, with cleaning only taking place between renters. Since we have no housekeeper at home, we don't find it a problem not to have one on vacation as long s there are adequate supplies (towels, etc.) for our stay. If renting thru a private owner, always ask if housekeeping is included and if so the frequency. If renting at the same location thru the front office or property management company, you may have no choice as to whether or not you receive housekeeping.

Get answers to your questions about Seven Mile Beach