We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Too many cruise ships

Which Seven Mile Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
reviews: 2
Too many cruise ships

Maybe I'm worrrying over nothing, but for some reason, I get this feeling with 3 or 4 cruise ships in, my peaceful island vacation is in jeopardy...... are there any nice quiet places to go when the island is innundated??

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
reviews: 94
1. Re: Too many cruise ships

With the exception of a few places, you'll never know they're there.

Charlotte, North...
reviews: 1
2. Re: Too many cruise ships

We've been going to Cayman for about 10 years every summer. I can honestly say that, with planning, the cruise ships have never adversely affected our vacation. We always check the cruise schedule before we go. Some days there is one ship in port, other days 2. I don't remember there being more than 2 in port at a time, but that certainly doesn't mean it doesn't happen. We try to plan trips to popular sites such as Stingray City, Rum Point, Georgetown, etc around the cruise ship schedule. We stay in a condo on Seven Mile Beach and cruise ship passengers do not impact our beach experience at all. You don't mention when you are traveling or where you are staying, but with planning, I would not worry too much about cruise traffic.

Minnesota
reviews: 9
3. Re: Too many cruise ships

We were in the Cayman in February and had a day that there were 5 ships and you didn't even notice it. The only place you saw alot of people was right where they got off the boats. Don't worry!

Washington DC...
4. Re: Too many cruise ships

Thanks so much for your reply. I feel better. We are going over Christmas 2013, and according to an on-line schedule there are ships in almost everyday, some days even 4 or 5! I'm staying in a condo in the West Bay area on the ocean, which fortunately is away from the action. Any quiet beach areas you suggest to go to?

Dallas, Texas
reviews: 6
5. Re: Too many cruise ships

We were in GC the week of the US Thanksgiving 2012. Since it was our first visit to the island and knowing beforehand that an average of 3-4 ships were scheduled each day (some days less, some days more) with Sunday being the only day with no ships in port, we had the same concern. Good news is there really was nothing for us to worry about.

We stayed in central SMB, so closer to 'the action' than you will be. On most days, we would've never known the cruise ship visitors were in port other than seeing the cruise ships themselves. There was only one instance we saw a large group of cruise ship passengers and that was when a few shuttle buses of cruisers were arriving as we were leaving the Turtle Farm.

As mentioned above, we just planned certain activities around the cruise ship schedules but never felt like we had to actively seek 'quiet beach areas' to more or less evade the crowds.....we were perfectly happy and content enjoying the beach right where we were staying! :-)

Edited: 9:22 pm, March 07, 2013
Washington DC...
6. Re: Too many cruise ships

Thanks! I haven't booked my condo yet but my thought of staying off smb were to save money and be a bit off the beaten path ... But it sounds like smb is pretty low key.. I just hate the thought of sitting on the beach and seeing big ole boats on the horizon!!!

Charlotte, North...
reviews: 1
7. Re: Too many cruise ships

Please do not let cruise ships in port keep you from enjoying all that Seven Mile Beach has to offer. Unless you are staying very close to Georgetown, you will not even notice the ships in port (from a resort location standpoint). We have stayed in condos in the southern section of SMB and cruise ships were not a factor at all for us. You may see them from a distance while on the beach but it will not hamper your trip...unless you choose to shop Georgetown when 3 ships are in port. Cayman is a very laid-back relaxing island...whether boats are in port or not...go and enjoy!

Washington DC...
8. Re: Too many cruise ships

Thanks again. The condo I found in west bay only a few miles from smb is saving me quite a

Lot of $$$$. Places on smb are sooo pricey...I am going at the most expensive time so I figured I can drive to many spots and beaches in my rental car and then find a quiet spot on smb when we want to swim.. But thanks for your thoughts as they have out me at ease!

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
reviews: 84
9. Re: Too many cruise ships

Susan, which condo did you book? We stay in West Bay all the time and find it very convenient.

Washington DC...
10. Re: Too many cruise ships

coconut bay........... I wanted to be a bit removed, but close enought to drive to great beaches and sites, then come back to a quiet, comfortable place. This complex looks really nice. DId you feel like you were missing out not being on SMB?

Get answers to your questions about Seven Mile Beach