We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best beach snorkeling spots

Which Seven Mile Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Upstate New York
reviews: 10
Best beach snorkeling spots

We're getting ready for our first trip to GC in August. We'll be staying on 7 mile beach and could rent a vehicle if necessary to reach other beaches. So I have a few questions... Where are the best beach snorkels? Is Stingray City worthwhile? Are there any can't miss beaches that we should make sure we hit? Thanks!

28 replies to this topic
Chicago
11. Re: Best beach snorkeling spots

What is a good hotel or condo to stay at for snorkeling off the beach?

Chesapeake, Virginia
reviews: 19
12. Re: Best beach snorkeling spots

Make sure to check out Testudo's snorkel blog!!! He has pictures and really great directions, make a copy and take them with you. We did, this year was our 2nd trip and it was so much better than last year because of Testudo's guide. Last year we went to Cemetary Beach, Smith's Cove and some of the other places but they don't compare to Connelly Cove, Barrier Reef, Coral Garden (Rum Point) and there are others on the list he has. When you can see beautiful coral and fish in the same area it's wonderful. Have fun:)

Worcester MA
reviews: 36
13. Re: Best beach snorkeling spots

How do you get to Testudo's blog - we're headed down next week and would love to find new places to snorkel. Thanks -

Chesapeake, Virginia
reviews: 19
14. Re: Best beach snorkeling spots

On the right side of this page are "Top Questions asked about Seven Mile Beach" and one of those is "Where is the best snorkeling and diving? Look at that and it will lead you to T's snorkel blog. Wonderful directions, descriptions and pictures you can ask him questions. I hope you have a great time!

Atlanta, GA
reviews: 131
15. Re: Best beach snorkeling spots

The Marriott has some manmade reef balls and there is some dead coral that fish like to hang around...There are several hotels around the Marriott, so that might be a place to start. I have been to GC twice and posted reviews if you care to take a look, or send me a message.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
reviews: 88
16. Re: Best beach snorkeling spots

There are great beaches with mediocre snorkeling and there are places with no beaches and superb, world-class snorkeling. Testudo's blog describes it all.

Oxford, North...
reviews: 16
17. Re: Best beach snorkeling spots

We just got back, and snorkeled at Rum Point, there was a lot to see right off the beach to the right of the dock. If you can swim out, I heard the reef was great, but we did not venture that far. We did the Stingray City with Red Sail, and the snorkeling at the coral gardens was awesome. Actually did the trip twice so we could snorkel more. Captain Jimmy on the glass bottom boat was awesome, and you get a smaller crowd than on the catamaran. We saw lots of brain corals, a school of little squids, lobsters,stingrays and many fish right off the beach, and of course, the barracuda. At the coral gardens we saw even more, including the moray eel Capt Jimmy showed us. We were first time snorkelers, and the access was easy.

London
18. Re: Best beach snorkeling spots

I agree we snorkeled the wreck of the cali opposite rackams it was fantastic there were huge 6ft tarpon fish and you could still make out a big engine.

NJ
reviews: 8
19. Re: Best beach snorkeling spots

Heading to the Marriott first week of August. How was your stay? Any tips on rooms, beach etc. Also heard there might be renovations this summer? Any help/advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

New Haven...
reviews: 4
20. Re: Best beach snorkeling spots

I just returned from my trip to Grand Cayman. Here is what I recommend. I stayed at the Westin on SMB. Definitely should rent a car if you plan on doing any beach snorkeling because the spots are spread out and cabs can get expensive.

Far and away, my favorite spot was Eden Rock/Devil's Grotto. Great marine life and AMAZING coral, with deep drop offs and caves you can peer down into. I was fortunate enough to see a nurse shark while snorkeling there.

The wreck of the cali is a cool spot too. Not as much marine life there, but interesting to see. Cemetery Beach is a nice spot too.

Stingray city is neat. You wade on a sandbar in the middle of the ocean while wild (but used to humans) stingrays swim by your feet and you can pet them. Your tour guide will wrangle one for you to pet, hold, and if you're brave, give a kiss to. I found the after trip to Rum Point afterwards to be pointless. The snorkeling is average there (very shallow in spots) and the tour leaves you there for 3 hours while you can look at a gift shop or pay to eat at the snack bar which is poor quality food. I'd skip that option if possible.

Reply to: Best beach snorkeling spots
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Seven Mile Beach