We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best beach snorkeling spots

Which Seven Mile Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Upstate New York
reviews: 13
Best beach snorkeling spots

We're getting ready for our first trip to GC in August. We'll be staying on 7 mile beach and could rent a vehicle if necessary to reach other beaches. So I have a few questions... Where are the best beach snorkels? Is Stingray City worthwhile? Are there any can't miss beaches that we should make sure we hit? Thanks!

28 replies to this topic
Boston...
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
reviews: 18
1. Re: Best beach snorkeling spots

You can check the "Top Questions" over on the right of the screen for the best snorkel spots. It's a very common discussion topic here.

I would seriously consider renting a car to see the rest of the island as well. Stingray City is a "must do".

Many others have also recommended the dolphin swim though we haven't done that yet.

Mount Tabor, New...
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
reviews: 18
2. Re: Best beach snorkeling spots

These are some of my favorite snorkel spots from shore:

http://snorkelblog.tumblr.com/ or http://caymansnorkelblog.blogspot.com/.

As for beaches, SMB is far and away considered the nicest beach on the island. Others that are worth a look-see are Smith Cove/Bacadere and Rum Point (both on low volume cruise ship days or after the 11:00-2:00 cruise crowds). Plenty of other deserted little spots across the island if you are exploring like Barkers and the spots on the East End and North Side.

Pgh Pa
reviews: 8
3. Re: Best beach snorkeling spots

Just there a week ago. Cemetary Beach is very good, altho a bit of a swim out to the reef. Smiths beach in georgetown was very nice, and everything is close to the cove. The public beach a few miles before Rum Point was pretty good, altho the resident barracuda was a bit more "curious/agressive" than I like!. The beached in boddentown near the texaco is also pretty good. Of course, gotta see stingray city- touristy but well woth it. Look for Capt Dexter's trimaran.

Bemidji,MN
reviews: 10
4. Re: Best beach snorkeling spots

Having made a few trips to Cayman I concentrate on SMB & Rum Point for beach experience & snorkeling. Concur with using Capt. Dexter for the Stingray City gig. You will get to snorkle along the reef which is great along with stopping to see the stingray. Suggest you do the afternoon trip with him as he tends to take his time since he is not pushed to get back as he is in AM tour. When I went he did a nice long relaxing sail back in which was great.

Worcester MA
reviews: 37
5. Re: Best beach snorkeling spots

Stingray City is a must, in my opinion. We were there last week and went with Cayman Tours - a great experience. Four stops including one we've never done before - Starfish Reef.

As far as snorkeling spots, in addition to Cemetery Beach (where the snorkeling is way out) and Smith's Cove, we also enjoyed The Wreck of the Cali (off of Rackham's Pub on 7 Mile Beach) and Eden Rock - just down a bit from there. We were going to try the Kittiwake but it didn't seem like it was a great place for snorkelers quite yet - better for divers. I'm also from upstate New York - you're going to love Cayman - it's a magical place!

Los Angeles...
reviews: 27
6. Re: Best beach snorkeling spots

We enjoyed snorkeling at Smith Cove. We really wanted to snorkel off the stairs at Macabuca Bar/The Cracked Conch in West Bay. No beach, but it looked like decent snorkeling there.

We tried to snorkel at Cemetary Beach, but it was too far of a swim for our daughter, who is only 4. We talked to some people who said it was excellent if you can manage the 200+ yard swim.

You can also snorkel off the dock at Cobalt Coast in West Bay.

Champaign, Illinois
reviews: 8
7. Re: Best beach snorkeling spots

Stingray city/sandbar is a MUST! Captain Dexter's Fantasea tours spend the time you will want to spend there. It was awesome! We will do it every trip back!

Our favorite snorkel spots in order:

1. Eden Rock / Devil's Grotto (Barracuda/Jellyfish/Cowfish/amazing coral/Parrotfish)

2. Off the stairs at Macabuca Bar/ Cracked Conch (Stingray/Flounder/Jellyfish)

3. Cemetary Beach (amazing coral/squid)

4. Smith Cove (Parrotfish)

Rum Point is OK if you have a car. We went to Starfish point (which is about 1 mile from Rum Point)....visibility was poor---not much to see. Some people get the starfish from a deeper area and bring them up to shallow water usually.

washington, dc
reviews: 7
8. Re: Best beach snorkeling spots

7 mile beach is a nice beach but a wasteland for interest as far as snorkeling off the beach is concerned.

Asheville, NC
reviews: 1
9. Re: Best beach snorkeling spots

I can't swim out to the reef, and love Cemetery Beach, because there are various fish right in close to shore (straight out from the two posts in the sand). Nothing extra fancy, but at least it's swimming with fish -- some of which are very cute (blue, yellow, silver, black striped, etc., occasional flounder or small stingray). http://photobucket.com/GrandCaymanmecllap

Even saw some cleaning station activity on my last trip.

Atlanta, GA
reviews: 131
10. Re: Best beach snorkeling spots

We just got back from our second trip and did a lot of snorkeling.

We stayed at the Marriott which has a man-made reef and some coral. We did see 3 large parrot fish, lobsters, sting rays and a good number of fish.

Rum Point had the best corals and lots of fish. Its a decent swim out but worth it if the currents are too strong. Check Testudos snorkel guide on the web. It is an outstanding guide to Grand Cayman.

Cheeseburger reef is pretty good, directly out from the Burger King in Georgetown. Ask someone at the lobster pot if you're not sure where to head out.

Smith cove is excellent also.

Cemetery reef is good.

The reef up north by the Cracked Conch restaurant is very deep, good for diving but not snorkeling.

Edens Rock is also kinda deep.

Send me a message and i can give some more details.

Reply to: Best beach snorkeling spots
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Seven Mile Beach