We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hurrivane Ivan

Which Seven Mile Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NC
Hurrivane Ivan

We are planning to viist Grand Cayman in December- any body have first hand experience on the condition of the 7 mile beach and if the hotels along the beach are open?

Cayman Islands
1. Re: Hurrivane Ivan

Seven Mile Beach is completely cleaned up and beautiful. You will have no problems in December. Check our web site for the most recent openings:

www.caymanactivityguide.com/projections.htm

Joe Stebbins

Editor,

Cayman Activity Guide

Raleigh, NC
2. Re: Hurrivane Ivan

Are there any reliable, unbiased websites with information about the state of seven-mile beach? Thank you.

Cayman Islands
3. Re: Hurrivane Ivan

Unbiased?

I live here and everything I post (here or to our web site) is first hand information. Not sure what you mean by unbiased. Something is either cleaned up and ready up or it is not. If you have a specific question, post it or email it and I will be happy to answer it.

Joe Stebbins,

Editor

Cayman Activity Guide

editor@caymanactivityguide.com

denver, co
4. Re: Hurrivane Ivan

Joe:I just found out from the Discovery Point Club (via a message on their answering machine) that they will now not be open until sometime post-February 2005 (changed from the expected December date that a number of websites you recommended seemed to suggest). THe sebsites seemed to indicate that the Discovery Point Club received less damage than almost all the others properties on the north half of seven mile beach, yet it now seems that they are months away from a potential opening. I have a vacation scheduled forthe second week of January and I need to know what to do. Do you have any sense of when Seven Mile Beach will be ready for visitors and which upscale condo properties (if any) will be in shape to take visitors and be fully repaired by early January? Your suggestions would be appreciated.

Boston, MA
5. Re: Hurrivane Ivan

Yes, the CoralStone Club just called to say the entire complex is not open until March at least. What does "cleaned up" mean and what places are actually going to be open in January. It doesn't look too promising, so I'm trying to figure out what you mean. Debris is removed from the beach? Great. Are there roofs on the condos and hotels? Are they habitable? Where--I'd love to try and book one since my place won't be!

Cayman Islands
6. Re: Hurrivane Ivan

There are lots of condos open NOW and taking reservations for December and January. Check our projections page at:

www.caymanactivityguide.com/projections.htm

No hotel or condo will open with a "roof missing" or anything else. EVERY hotel and condo room is being inspected by DOT prior to being given a re-opening license. They are concerned with the island's upscale image and are going to every room personally. This is part of what is causing the delay. They have already certified about 1000 room as suitable for visitors, but there are many more still to be seen. This is what is taking so long. The target re-opening date for overnight guests remains at Thanksgiving weekend.

Part of the problem you are seeing about opening dates for certain facillities being postponed is that once they start repairs, the run into problems that were not anticipated and delays are the result. By now, most of the projected dates are fairly firm. Some of the earlier projections were more of a guess than anything else, before they had a licensed contractor do a complete and thorough inspection.

The main concern from everyone is that nothing is open until it is completely restored and beautiful and they are assured that each and every guest will have a wonderful vacation.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Joe Stebbins,

Editor

Cayman Activity Guide

Milford, DE
7. Re: Hurrivane Ivan

Someone asked for "proof" of the condition of Seven Mile Beach. I was just on this web site this morning, and it seems like just what you wanted to see. Scroll to the middle of the page, and click on the slide show. There are some really good pictures of various sections of Seven Mile beach. It is obvious that these are recent, and therefore accurate photographs.

Copy and paste the link into your address bar:

www.caymanvacations.com/indexmenu.htm…

grand forks, north...
8. Re: Hurrivane Ivan

We were on the 7 mile beach on 11-15-04. It was the most beautiful beach I have ever seen. Yes, the buildings along it are damaged and seeing Hurricaine destruction first hand for the first time is very sad, but they are working hard in the Cayman's and the beach itself was cleaned up and ready to go. If I could have changed our plans and not gotten back on the cruise ship I would have done so. I would have chosen to sleep on the lawnchair on the beach for the rest of our trip it was so beautiful. Hope this helps anyone questioning the condition of the 7 mile beach.

grand forks, north...
9. Re: Hurrivane Ivan

We were on the 7 mile beach on 11-15-04. It was the most beautiful beach I have ever seen. Yes, the buildings along it are damaged and seeing Hurricaine destruction first hand for the first time is very sad, but they are working hard in the Cayman's and the beach itself was cleaned up and ready to go. If I could have changed our plans and not gotten back on the cruise ship I would have done so. I would have chosen to sleep on the lawnchair on the beach for the rest of our trip it was so beautiful. Hope this helps anyone questioning the condition of the 7 mile beach.

grand forks, north...
10. Re: Hurrivane Ivan