We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bio Luminescence Tours

Which George Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ringoes, New Jersey
reviews: 3
Bio Luminescence Tours

I see that there are two bioluminescence tours.

Cayman Kayaks: Leaves from Rum Point, so have to rent a car.

Sea Elements: Leaves from SMB, in a pontoon boat and you can snorkel in the dark.

Would appreciate feedback from people who may have done both and their preferences on which one is better.

29 replies to this topic
NJ
reviews: 8
1. Re: Bio Luminescence Tours

saw that too- would love to hear peoples experience. Looks cool and will be there during the right moon phase.

Ringoes, New Jersey
reviews: 3
2. Re: Bio Luminescence Tours

Anyone recent do either of these tours ?

Forest, Virginia
reviews: 21
3. Re: Bio Luminescence Tours

We did the Cayman Kayaks tour back in May and really enjoyed it. One of the highlights of our trip for sure. The guide, Tom, was very quick with responding to emails if you have questions. Have not been on the other tour so cannot compare the two, but if we were to return to Grand Cayman we would not hesitate to book the kayak tour again. You can go to that side of the island earlier in the day and check out the botanical park before heading to Rum Point for the tour.

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
reviews: 16
4. Re: Bio Luminescence Tours

have not been on Sea Elements, but Tom from Cayman Kayaks knows his business and is passionate about the environment

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
5. Re: Bio Luminescence Tours

I was extremely impressed with the patience and kindness Tom displayed when we did the mangrove tour with him.

Kansas
reviews: 34
6. Re: Bio Luminescence Tours

Our family of four (boys aged 11 & 15 at the time) did the Cayman Kayak tour with Tom in March of 2012. Loved it! Tom is extremely knowledgeable and very conscientious about keeping track of everyone out on the ocean in the dark. After making our payments (best time to tip), donning life vests and stowing valuables in dry pouches, we left from the Rum Point beach and kayaked a reasonable distance, even for this out-of-shape middle aged Mama Bear to enjoy, out to the cove. As we idled together in the cove, Tom explained the science of the bioluminescence and encouraged us to move our feet or arms in the water to visualize the effect. I did find myself wishing those in homes on the cove would douse their outdoor lighting if not absolutely necessary. Tom presented the information through conversation rather than as if a science class and this retained the attention of the kids in attendance much more effectively. I erroneously assumed my kids wouldn't want to repeat the tour on our last visit to Grand Cayman since we had 'been there done that' the previous trip. I have already been informed to schedule a tour during our next, yet to be scheduled, trip to Grand Cayman. We did not utilize the Sea Elements tour and we would repeat with Tom since we stay at Rum Point but would be interested to hear other's comments. It is well worth the time and money.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
reviews: 1
7. Re: Bio Luminescence Tours

Cayman Kayak tour was really great. I am not sure about what they mean by snorkeling in the dar on the other tour. Where the bioluminescence is the water is pretty shallow and I would not want to snorkel there.

B.

Wilmington, North...
reviews: 53
8. Re: Bio Luminescence Tours

Loved Cayman Kayaks and Tom. The entire operation is well run and a lot of fun. My entire family loved this tour!

Houston, Texas
9. Re: Bio Luminescence Tours

Can anyone compare the kayak tour to the boat tour? We signed up for boat; wondering if kayaks would've been a better option.

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
10. Re: Bio Luminescence Tours

krjminor

Are you going with Kitehouse? They cancelled our scheduled trip last year. I had thought the boat to biolum would be good with the kids, but we are going to schedule to go with Tom and Cayman Kayaks using the kayaks this year. He is an excellent guide.

Reply to: Bio Luminescence Tours
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted