We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is Hammerheads called now?

Which George Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
atlanta
reviews: 10
What is Hammerheads called now?

I was in Georgetown 5-6 years ago and walked , not far from cruise terminal, to a restraunt called "hammerheads" ...they had a dive shop with lockers and a dock next door, and I snorkeled for an hour or two while my wife had drinks on the deck...when I finished they had a ladder that accessed the deck so I could join her for drinks.

It was a very cool spot with the remains of a boat and lots of fish to look at, the cruise ship even had excursions for $40 on a small boat that pulled up there and let people snorkel for an hour....I was so glad I could do it for free.

Is this now called the "paradise bar"?

19 replies to this topic
atlanta
11. Re: What is Hammerheads called now?

we did macabucas, fairly nice but I believe there was turtle in their all you eat BBQ buffet (chicken is not shaped like that) Macabuca had a great deck with sturdy ladder for access, not much to see except near the ironshore. Cayman Cabana still prints out as hammerheads on their cash register reciepts. location is like this: cruise port terminal then 2 blocks to the fish market (where dozens of tarpon feed on the scraps), Cayman Cabana is right next door with ladder access, The dive shop building is connected to Cayman Cabana with Casanovas above it. One block north is Rackums with it's own ladder access. The main attraction (besides the large tarpon that hang out by the fish market and in the shade under the floating dock, Cayman Cabana's deck, or the ladder near Rackums) is the wreck of the Cali. It starts about 40 yards past the square floating dock towards the left. continue to the left towards the big dock complex for good reef (be aware of the shipping lane for returning fishermen. We never made it to sunset house but the best snorkeling I found was just south of the cruise port at eden rock/devils grotto accessed by ladder at Paradise Bar (which rents gear) the tarpon meet you at the ladder. You have to swim out a good distance, toward the red markers about 200-300 yards in front of the bar. A dive boat was anchored on the edge of a huge underwater wall, they dive the wall and passages in the coral bank. It was the most impressive coral heads and abundance of fish I could find without taking a boat to the barrier reef. Paradise is the typical tourist bar, $25 for 2 drinks, snorkel gear and lounge chairs for rent, but if I was on a ship and had to choose, the snorkeling was better here than near the Cali.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
reviews: 82
12. Re: What is Hammerheads called now?

"not much to see except near the ironshore."

There's a huge and healthy reef area that runs from Turtle Farm all the way toward Northwest Point that is clearly marked with Red/White striped dive bouys about 100 yards or so off shore. Perhaps you missed something? And 200-300 yard swim at Eden rock?! It's half that distance (roughly 150 yards) to the point where the coral heads drop off to a sandy bottom).

Edited: 2:49 pm, May 07, 2013
New York
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
reviews: 39
13. Re: What is Hammerheads called now?

Have to agree with smushie about the snorkeling. Would also mention that turtle is a lot more expensive and difficult to get than chicken (especially in GC). If there was turtle in the BBQ they would have definitely advertised it as it is a treat unlike chicken ;)

Mount Tabor, New...
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
reviews: 18
14. Re: What is Hammerheads called now?

I understand Turtle Reef it is one of the better shore dive sites, but for some snorkelers (this one included), the mini-wall at Turtle Reef is bit deep to get much enjoyment out of, as is the transition zone right before it. Nice to snorkel around and see if anything big swims by between courses or drinks, but you don't really get to be up close and personal with much, except closer to shore. Guessing that is why Wise2u felt there wasn't much to see.

I'd also opt for snorkeling Eden Rock/Devil's Grotto over Turtle Reef unless I wanted a change of scenery or the best fish & chips.

Edited: 3:56 pm, May 07, 2013
Colorado
Destination Expert
15. Re: What is Hammerheads called now?

Testudo, keep heading north and east from Cracked Conch. You'll eventually hit a large "column like" coral head. It only gets better from there as you continue to contour the shoreline heading east. There are some great clusters of shoals in the shallows near shore as well as a continuation of coral heads along the mini-wall. One snorkel I would suggest (if you haven't tried it already) is to get in at Cracked Conch and snorkel to Cobalt Coast or vice versa depending on the currents. The fish sammich at Cobalt Coast is pretty good as well and you can catch a bus back to Cracked Conch if you don't feel like walking.

And turtle as mystery meat? At $35CI/lb (US $48!), if there's turtle in something, you'll know you're eating it. Either way, you're not finding it on a $15 all-you-can-eat buffet. Cracked Conch doesn't even serve cracked conch on the buffet anymore.

atlanta
16. Re: What is Hammerheads called now?

sorry my estimate of distance on the water is not very good. That said, it is still a long swim to the dropoff at Eden Rock, but totally worth it. I did go out 100 yards in front of macabuca like Testudo said it looks better for divers. If it wasnt turtle it was some funky chicken cut in shapes unlike your normal chicken pieces, the meat also had a different consistancy. Even the ribs were different from what we are used to in the states. I guess for the price it was a good deal. They did have a good deck and great drinks. Snorkeling was also good at cemetary beach, and out at the barrier reef.

We went down to boddentown, but the waves were too much for snorkeling, so we hung out on the public beach for a while before returning to Georgetown. It showed us how the locals live, nice area, but beach was full of litter, bottletops, and glass. A few bums and a lot of empty overproof rum bottles laying around.

Mount Tabor, New...
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
reviews: 18
17. Re: What is Hammerheads called now?

"keep heading north and east from Cracked Conch. You'll eventually hit a large "column like" coral head. It only gets better from there as you continue to contour the shoreline heading east. There are some great clusters of shoals in the shallows near shore as well as a continuation of coral heads along the mini-wall"

Added to the list! Thanks.

"If it wasnt turtle it was some funky chicken cut in shapes unlike your normal chicken pieces, the meat also had a different consistancy."

Could be some so many things....

Colorado
Destination Expert
18. Re: What is Hammerheads called now?

I've never seen chicken shaped like a McNugget. That doesn't mean it's made of turtle.

The BBQ all-you-can-eat uses the leg quarters and end ribs for the bbq. It's what's left over when the kitchen processes the meat for other dishes on the menu throughout the week. They're the most inexpensive cuts of both kinds of meat and are very fatty which makes them taste juicy and delicious when done right (or slathered in sauce) on the grill.

As an aside, when I jerk, if I know there aren't going to be any kids needing stuff that's a little less spicy and easy to cut up without bones, I don't even bother buying the breast/wing quarters. There will be plenty of time to jerk this summer since the better half and I are building a caboose in the back yard of my place in West Bay. Grill finally bit the dust last summer.

Edited: 4:46 pm, May 07, 2013
Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
reviews: 16
19. Re: What is Hammerheads called now?

smushie, educate me please. What is a caboose?

Reply to: What is Hammerheads called now?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about George Town
Recent Conversations