We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Andy's Car Rental - Deceptive descriptions of cars BEWARE

Which George Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
St. Louis, MO
reviews: 10
Andy's Car Rental - Deceptive descriptions of cars BEWARE

We rented a car for our vacation over Christmas break from Andy's. The car was described as a mid-size car - similar to a Malibu. I thought a Malibu-sized car should fit our family of four nicely. Boy, was I wrong. Instead we were given a Ford Focus. Of course, being Christmas break there were no other cars available to switch. Then the customer service rep told me that Malibu on their website means a "Malibu Classic" which is smaller than a Malibu in the United States. The customer service rep also told me that she had relayed this complaint by other customers to the company administrator and that nothing had been changed on the website. I now see that the mid-size is described as a Ford Focus. While the change is a positive step, I wonder if they mean a 'Ford Focus Classic'. We will not rent from Andy's again. In addition, this seems to be a common problem with Andy's. When I was returning our car, another customer came in and said he'd like to return his Andy's Rent A Shoebox. Guess he had a similar experience.

27 replies to this topic
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
reviews: 68
21. Re: Andy's Car Rental - Deceptive descriptions of cars BEWARE

Appreciate the feedback, SuzyQ. Love to hear fellow traveler's experiences and not just the "pro-GC" destination experts in matters. Always nice to hear both sides of the story, thank you for keeping us informed.

I don't perceive this as an over-reaction, nor do I believe that this is an unfair post. It's your personal viewpoint based on your firsthand experience with this rental agency. That's the point of T.A. - to keep others informed of our travel experiences, both the good and the not-so-good. That's what i call FAIR.

Love the rent-a-shoebox comment. Enough said! ;-)

Edited: 3:23 pm, March 28, 2013
Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
reviews: 64
22. Re: Andy's Car Rental - Deceptive descriptions of cars BEWARE

I think that the advice to be very aware of the classifications of the cars is absolutely excellent advice!

Travellers should not assume that a "Compact" car in any country is the same as a "Compact" car at home. The only way to be sure is to look at the model examples and research those to make sure you are getting what you want. This isn't specific to Andy's, nor even to the Cayman Islands - the same applies when I go and rent a car in the UK when I visit.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
reviews: 18
23. Re: Andy's Car Rental - Deceptive descriptions of cars BEWARE

Kim_coco,

The take away message here is bothering to do some research and not assuming the rest of the world operates in the exact same way as your home nation. It shouldn't be surprising to find out that a company on a British territory, that obeys British driving rules and uses a large number of Japanese (same system as the UK) cars uses a British/Rest of the World guide when it comes to car classifications. The only way this could be construed as deceptive would be if it was accepted practice to spell everything out to every tourist. Obviously this isn't the case, as a guest the responsibility is on you to research some things, and while there was some agreement as to a lack of clarity on behalf of Andys, the title of this thread is more deceptive than the accusations held within

If any rental car company tried to reduce things to their most obvious and simple form they would be assuming such a baffling level of ignorance that one wonders how a patron could be expected to operate a motor vehicle in the first place. If you are unsure, get the name of the model and Google it, a 10 second browse online would have nipped this in the bud

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
reviews: 88
24. Re: Andy's Car Rental - Deceptive descriptions of cars BEWARE

I couldn't agree more Saj. I have no stake in recommending Andy's or any other rental car company for that matter. Calling Andy's deceptive because of your uninformed view of how big a rental vehicle should be in some foreign country is very obviously ignorance on the part of the renter. The post could more appropriately read, "Warning: Cars in Cayman are small." I'm glad TA can clarify that issue for other TA members wondering about the size of a compact car

grand island, ny
reviews: 1
25. Re: Andy's Car Rental - Deceptive descriptions of cars BEWARE

the first time we were on Cayman (2 yrs ago), we rented from Andy's. We told the girl at the counter that our experience with her was the best we had ever had with a rental car company (that was true). There were 5 of us and when our mini van came, it was really a "mini". It was a Suzuki something-or-other. My husband said it was a 3-cylinder, which I didnt know existed! It was small, but we were on vacation, so who cares? We were only worried about fitting our luggage in, which we did (chronic over-packers). Upside-- Great gas mileage!

When my husband and i went back last year, we rented from them again. We got a compact hatchback, which we took back the next day for something with a trunk after realizing we would be needing to leave our luggage in it (exposed) for part of a day. They switched it out no problem, no additional charge. Again, great customer service! Customer service wins out for us hands down. We will use them the next time we visit also.

St. Albert, Alberta
reviews: 24
26. Re: Andy's Car Rental - Deceptive descriptions of cars BEWARE

I've booked with Andy's on three separate occasions and had no such issue. I requested a specific vehicle make and model and each time they provided me with exactly that. On a different note, on my most recent trip we were staying at one of the island villas on the East End and discovered a flat tire when we planned to run out to get gas before leaving for home. Andy's drove a similar vehicle over to us (we had and a 7 passenger SUV and they gave us an 8 passenger Van) and left with the other car.

Crowley, Texas
reviews: 1
27. Re: Andy's Car Rental - Deceptive descriptions of cars BEWARE

We have used Andy's three times and have them booked for a fourth this Thursday. On our first trip in 2004, the cars were pretty well worn, but the one we got ran good and had cold air. We always get a full size car (by their definition) to handle four adults and luggage. Last time it was a Malibu and was just fine. The cars seem to be getting better quality each time we rent. We have never had car trouble, but we read on TA about pretty good service if one has a breakdown or flat tire. As long as one is not determined to have a very new, low mileage car and is happy with solid transportation that is convenient to the airport (walk across the parking lot) and at a reasonable price for GC, I think Andy's fills the bill.

Reply to: Andy's Car Rental - Deceptive descriptions of cars BEWARE
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about George Town