We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Andy's Car Rental - Deceptive descriptions of cars BEWARE

Which George Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
St. Louis, MO
reviews: 10
Andy's Car Rental - Deceptive descriptions of cars BEWARE

We rented a car for our vacation over Christmas break from Andy's. The car was described as a mid-size car - similar to a Malibu. I thought a Malibu-sized car should fit our family of four nicely. Boy, was I wrong. Instead we were given a Ford Focus. Of course, being Christmas break there were no other cars available to switch. Then the customer service rep told me that Malibu on their website means a "Malibu Classic" which is smaller than a Malibu in the United States. The customer service rep also told me that she had relayed this complaint by other customers to the company administrator and that nothing had been changed on the website. I now see that the mid-size is described as a Ford Focus. While the change is a positive step, I wonder if they mean a 'Ford Focus Classic'. We will not rent from Andy's again. In addition, this seems to be a common problem with Andy's. When I was returning our car, another customer came in and said he'd like to return his Andy's Rent A Shoebox. Guess he had a similar experience.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for East End, Grand Cayman
reviews: 12
1. Re: Andy's Car Rental - Deceptive descriptions of cars BEWARE

I dunno that any deception is intended. The fact that the Andy's website describes a Ford Taurus as a "full-size car" should serve as notice that maybe they have a different idea of car sizes than Americans typically do.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
reviews: 18
2. Re: Andy's Car Rental - Deceptive descriptions of cars BEWARE

SuzyQ2, while I don't dispute your statements as truthful, writing off Andy's over this perceived bait n switch seems like an overreaction. We've rented from Andy's many times over the years. We always opt for the cheapest and smallest vehicles as there are just 2 of us and the $ cost is inline with what we want to spend for our driving needs. I'm sure just about everyone has had bad experiences with rent a car agencies and can cite their own headaches with them but why not give them another shot knowing now how they classify their vehicles? If they screw-up again then you're well within your right to move on to another company. I'm not shilling for Andy's and have no allegiance to them per se but the tone and tenor of your post seems excessive. For what it's worth we've also rented from Budget and Avis on the CI's and none are perfect.

New York
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
reviews: 42
3. Re: Andy's Car Rental - Deceptive descriptions of cars BEWARE

I think what qualifies in the US as compact, etc., is not true for the rest of the world. In Europe the cars are much smaller and in the Cayman Islands you will find they follow the British sizing patterns. It is true that the models sold in overseas markets are not the same as the same "name" in the US. While I can readily understand your frustration I think it would have been the same no matter who you rented from. In many other countries parking spots are smaller, thorofares through towns are smaller so the largesse Americans are used to just wouldn't be appropriate! Your post does really serve however to put people on notice that they need to take this into consideration when they are choosing models!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
reviews: 19
4. Re: Andy's Car Rental - Deceptive descriptions of cars BEWARE

As others have rightly pointed out, Andy's doesn't follow US convention with regards to size of car in a category. No reason why they should either, it's a British territory with a high percentage of Japanese cars, two regions who favour the smaller vehicle. I think it's a case of caveat emptor, using their definition of full-size and extrapolating what a smaller category will provide. I don't doubt there's a lot of confusion though, they should have better comparisons on their web site

I've heard more Andy's complaints due to the old and tired vehicles they often provide

St. Louis, MO
reviews: 10
5. Re: Andy's Car Rental - Deceptive descriptions of cars BEWARE

The customer rep I spoke with told me that my situation occurred a number of times for previous customers. She also indicated Andy's administrator made no changes to the website description as a result of the prior instances. To me, that is deceptive. A simple statement indicating that there are differences in size between cars made for the US and cars made for Britain would have gone a long way in avoiding this problem.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
reviews: 19
6. Re: Andy's Car Rental - Deceptive descriptions of cars BEWARE

Not to be rude but I don't think explaining US cars are bigger is necessary, considering how even Americans make fun of their oversized and inefficient nature. What would be useful is putting the equivalent sized US car, which we all agree they could and should have done better on

As a visitor it's up to you to learn the differences, not the responsibility of the host nation to spell everything out. For what it's worth I don't think the Malibu exists outside of the US and not even sure what a 'Malibu Classic' is, you can kind f see how they are trying to be helpful but haven't quite gotten there

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for East End, Grand Cayman
reviews: 12
7. Re: Andy's Car Rental - Deceptive descriptions of cars BEWARE

"I've heard more Andy's complaints due to the old and tired vehicles they often provide"

A couple years back I rented a Chevrolet Spark from them during my solo Sept. trip. I'm pretty sure I could have beaten the thing in a 40-yard dash. It was also the size of a thimble.

I made friends with a couple while I was there, and the woman did auto shows for Ford here in the U.S. So of course she just had to take a pic of a full-sized human (me) looming over the tiny thing to bring back with her as display fodder, LOL.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
reviews: 84
8. Re: Andy's Car Rental - Deceptive descriptions of cars BEWARE

It's a common issue when travelling, I have found. I go back and forth to the UK and have learned to distrust the nomenclature of "economy, compact", etc. I tend to research models in the country I am visiting when I care about what I am going to get.

i don't consider that Andy's was deceptive, any more than any other non-US car rental company in any country is deceptive when they express car sizes according to their locality.

however, since Cayman's tourism business is 80% from the US (or so I have heard) it would make sense to have US equivalents on thei site, and no just Andy's, but Marshalls and the other Cayman rental companies.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
reviews: 11
9. Re: Andy's Car Rental - Deceptive descriptions of cars BEWARE

I think if you look on each rental car website, cars and categories are generally quite well described and it is not difficult to realize car size categories on almost any Caribbean island are not the same as vehicles in the USA. Think of it as a learning experience in the wonderful world of travel to other countries:-)

In the past we have rented on GC from Hertz, Avis and Andy's. The two times we used Andy's our problem was not with size representation, but condition. First time, filthy and sand filled; second encountered breakdowns...did not go for "third time is the charm!" NO problems with either Hertz or Avis.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
reviews: 84
10. Re: Andy's Car Rental - Deceptive descriptions of cars BEWARE

We have rented from Andy's twice. One time we had a loud noise on one wheel, took it back, and got a different car without a problem.

Get answers to your questions about George Town