We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diving with my 11 year old daughter....

Which George Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Springfield,IL
reviews: 21
Diving with my 11 year old daughter....

I am seeking some help in locating a dive operator who will be able to accomodate my 11 y.o. daughter to do her OW certification dives and set us both up with some diving after she is done. She has just completed her pool and classroom sessions and we are going to be on island staying at VOG from March 25th to April 2nd. Does anyone have any knowledge of an operator who can accommodate us? We have our own gear so that is not an issue. 50 cu tanks would be a plus for her but she can get by with the 63 cu if necessary. Any help would be appreciated. I just don't know where to start because I know there are so many good dive operators on the island. Thanks!!

BVI
reviews: 6
11. Re: Diving with my 11 year old daughter....

Retrip, the depth limit for newly qualified open water divers is 60ft not 80ft. It is recommended that you don't dive any deeper than this until you have further training or experience. Even if a junior takes his Advanced Open Water course he is then only certified to dive to a maximum of 70ft until he reaches age 15 when the depth limit is increased to 100ft.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
reviews: 1
12. Re: Diving with my 11 year old daughter....

Again - Depth limits are recommendations by PADI nothing more.

B.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
reviews: 84
13. Re: Diving with my 11 year old daughter....

There are some excellent easy shore dives up in West Bay that would be perfect to do as an alternative to the boat diving. Lighthouse Point and Cobalt Coast are two of my favourites. The reason being that there is a mini wall at both of them that goes from about 30ft to 60ft, which means that a newish diver can experience the fun of a "wall" without going anywhere near as deep. Because there's no boat involved, the pressure is off to get in and down, and comfort levels can be tested and respected. Both sites will offer a (paid) dive guide) if you want someone to show you around.

I am certain there are others, but those are two favourites.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
reviews: 11
14. Re: Diving with my 11 year old daughter....

VOG is located next to the Westin; Redsail operates from the Westin so very convenient. Years ago my daughter, who had done classroom and pool work at home before the OW cert while in GC did the OW with Redsail....it was an excellent choice.

GC
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
reviews: 2
15. Re: Diving with my 11 year old daughter....

Check out Divetech at Cobalt coast.

http://www.divetech.com/files/Kids.htm

Ontario
reviews: 30
16. Re: Diving with my 11 year old daughter....

My 13 year old son just did his confined and open water dives with Esin from Happy Fish Divers out at the Cracked Conch on Turtle Reef. She was absolutely excellent and I can highly recommend the outfit. They had the smaller tank for his use. He loved the reef as well.

Edited: 10:15 pm, March 14, 2013
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
reviews: 1
17. Re: Diving with my 11 year old daughter....

All the dive ops on GC are great. Rarely do you read about any complaints. That being said everybody has their favorites. :)

B.

Austin, Texas
reviews: 10
18. Re: Diving with my 11 year old daughter....

Waterboy, we are heading down on the 3rd for our 10 year old daughter to check out. I have done a lot of online research and am leaning towrads Divetech. A very large portion of their website is focused on kids diving. Plus they run kids dive camps. I just felt more comfortable going with an operator that specializes in children. They said for her check outs most of the diving will be shore dives. Good luck!!

New York
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
reviews: 42
19. Re: Diving with my 11 year old daughter....

Once again they all know handle all types of divers. There is a group call Stay-Focused (stay-focused.org). They certify handicapped divers including kids. They use Red Sail boats and many Red Sail staff volunteer their time, however, there are also volunteers from many of the other ops. Why? Because the DM's tend to move around between different companies. There is no best, diving in Grand Cayman is world class pretty much across the board. You will not be disappointed. And while the max depth for an open water diver is less than an advanced diver, both jr or full can go deeper with a DM/Instructor. They know this and will stick to the rules. While your kids are still kids, they are stepping up into a sport that gives them much opportunity but also much responsibility. They need to be comfortable and competent and have confidence in their abilities as a diver. The DM's will give them and teach them what they need -- you really can go with confidence no matter who you use. While we have had lots of kids certified (my own and many of their friends) and we have lots of dives in GC and are familiar with many of the shore dive sites, I would not take a newly certified diver on a shore dive until they had a least a few dives with a dive professional under their belts. All the shore diving spots are used for training, in general GC is a great place to certfy because it is so user friendly. My daughter was short and her buddy in her OWI was almost six feet tall. While it might have been easier for her to have another "kid" as a buddy, she had to figure out how to check out her buddy's equipment etc from her smaller stature. In the long run it made her think and perhaps because she certified with an adult, felt the confidence of a"diver" not a "kid" diver. By 16 she was working with the handicapped divers -- don't overthink it. All the ops are great and your kids need a chance to become divers not kids who are divers! Just like jr drivers they might have certain limitations but they still have to drive with the grown ups and follow the same rules and regs and be able to react properly when something goes wrong!

20. Re: Diving with my 11 year old daughter....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 19, 2014
Get answers to your questions about George Town