We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dolphin Cove or Dolphin Discovery

Which Grand Cayman hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis...
Dolphin Cove or Dolphin Discovery

Which dolphin facility is better? We want a basic dolphin service as we will have small children with us. We are also curious about the Nautiulis submarine any thoughts if that is worth it

8 replies to this topic
New York
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
reviews: 41
1. Re: Dolphin Cove or Dolphin Discovery

It is very unlikely that you will find many who have actually gone to both facilities. I have been to Dolphin Cove and while I was totally against this type of facility was completely taken back by the level of care and the actual level of relationships that there are between handlers and their charges -- that is something that cannot be faked at least by the dolphins!!! Cannot comment on what it would be like with little ones. We were all grown ups (age wise) and did the full experience. I would imagine that both facilities are pretty similar when it comes to the age limits for activities, how close little ones can get to the water, etc.)

San Francisco...
reviews: 15
2. Re: Dolphin Cove or Dolphin Discovery

We also chose dolphin cove- the kids loved it. The facility was clean and animals appeared well taken care of. - however, I am sure you will have fun at either one!

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
reviews: 69
3. Re: Dolphin Cove or Dolphin Discovery

What do you consider "basic dolphin service"? I think that if we have a better idea of your expectations, someone may be more easily able to help you.

I have heard good things about the sub trip - if you are not divers then it really does give you a good idea of the world under the sea, which so many people don't ever get to see. I have not done it myself, since I am a diver and get to see it up close and personal quite regularly.

Texas
reviews: 22
4. Re: Dolphin Cove or Dolphin Discovery

Went to dolphin cove (daughter is interning there for the summer) and went to dolphin discovery just to see the difference. We didn't do the program at dolphin discovery, but the feel is completely different, we thought. Dolphin discovery has a more sterile feeling than dolphin cove. Dolphin discovery has the dolphins in concrete pools and their water is filtered, while dolphin cove they are in a cove & you can see the ocean. Feels like they are in their habitat more at dolphin cove, once again, to us. I'm sure dolphin discovery programs are as good as dolphin coves, and I can tell you that dolphin coves were great! We had the time of our lives and the trainers really love what they do.

Texas
reviews: 22
5. Re: Dolphin Cove or Dolphin Discovery

Went to dolphin cove (daughter is interning there for the summer) and went to dolphin discovery just to see the difference. We didn't do the program at dolphin discovery, but the feel is completely different, we thought. Dolphin discovery has a more sterile feeling than dolphin cove. Dolphin discovery has the dolphins in concrete pools and their water is filtered, while dolphin cove they are in a cove & you can see the ocean. Feels like they are in their habitat more at dolphin cove, once again, to us. I'm sure dolphin discovery programs are as good as dolphin coves, and I can tell you that dolphin coves were great! We had the time of our lives and the trainers really love what they do.

One more thing, they have what they call a "slide out" picture for $25, which you don't have to get in the water, and would be perfect for that family shot, if everyone doesn't want to do a dolphin encounter.

Winston Salem...
reviews: 6
6. Re: Dolphin Cove or Dolphin Discovery

Dolphin Cove. Ask if Alan is working. Tell him "Braden said this is a great place to come" and Enjoy!!

NJ
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach
reviews: 10
7. Re: Dolphin Cove or Dolphin Discovery

We've been to Dolphin Discovery a couple of times and are planning a return visit. It's convenient to SMB area plus they throw in the turtle farm admission(not full park) which is located across the street. We try to plan it when the least amount of cruise ships are in port, pick an early time then afterwards head out to lunch and a trip to town. If you decide to go to this location, check their website for any specials being run. I've seen 'buy 1 get 1' or % off ticket price on the website.

www.dolphindiscovery.com

Edited: 5:44 pm, July 02, 2013
Tulsa, Oklahoma
8. Re: Dolphin Cove or Dolphin Discovery

Dolphin Cove today was fabulous. Did Dolphin Discovery last year. COVE is my fave because it has a mellow vibe and the whole photo thing is less contrived and less trouble overall. The Cove is also a more natural setting and way more pleasant than the whitewashed Discovery, and it seemed a bit cheaper with the discounts. The dolphins seemed very happy. We paid for the most involved experience and the group was quite small - 6 people. Good humored hosts, too!

Edited: 4:34 pm, June 13, 2014
Reply to: Dolphin Cove or Dolphin Discovery
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted