We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mastic Trail

Which Grand Cayman hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Troy, Michigan
reviews: 2
Mastic Trail

As a follow up to an earlier question by another person, is it too hot in July to take the Mastic Trail tour? How long does it take? I would love to do it, but if it will be several hours of misery due to the heat (and possibly mosquitos), I would prefer to stay on the beach. Thanks!

New York
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
reviews: 41
1. Re: Mastic Trail

This is a purely personal issue. Some people would be petrified to spend 5 minutes on a boat still at the dock, another enjoy a nice day out when conditions are great, and still another enjoy a gritty, raw day with MN throwing her weight around. Everything from the weather on a given day to your level of fitness and appreciation for what there is to see influences this decision. Why not wait until you get there, do a little drive by and see where the needle goes on your personal enjoyment meter!

Houston, Texas
2. Re: Mastic Trail

We did it in mid June, and it is hot and humid as you are inland and out of the ocean breeze. BUT - it was wonderful and I would highly recommend it. I believe the walk is about a mile, not bad. The flowers were amazing and we saw several blue iguanas - got some great pictures. We did not use a guide (like to meander at our own pace!), But as we entered and exited, they were very helpful and informative. We went on an overcast day and that helped with the heat. Bring water! They also have a small gift shop. Great stop on your way to explore the north side!

Houston, Texas
3. Re: Mastic Trail

Oops! We did the Botanic Gardens - not Majestic Trail.

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
reviews: 16
4. Re: Mastic Trail

The weather between the 2 places would be about the same. If you go, be sure go on the guided tour through the National Trust and bring water with you. When we went the tour was in the morning, which would be a better time of day temperature wise.

http://www.nationaltrust.org.ky/?p=866

Mastic Trail Tours

Tuesday through Friday mornings

$20 for members, $24 for non-members

Additional days and private tours may also be available.

Call 749-1121 for reservations, meeting time and directions.

For a full schedule of available tours, please check our Tours Schedule.

Edited: 11:11 am, July 02, 2013
chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
reviews: 16
5. Re: Mastic Trail

P.S. When we went on the tour they only did !/2 the trail. We went in from the Northside entrance and then came back the same way. Don't know if this is true at all times of the year. I think the other half of the trail was too muddy when we went.

Maine
reviews: 21
6. Re: Mastic Trail

We (2 adults, an 8, 10, and 12 year old) did the Mastic trail with Stuart -the guide for the National Trust and it was a highlight for us. We slowed him down with all the stuff the kids were looking at and we did the three geocaches on the trail as well. (not part of the walk, but Stuart was very patient with us) I would definitely go with Stuart as there is so much to hear about and see that you will totally miss without even knowing it. All the reviews with Stuart are very high, all the lower scores are unguided. It took us close to 3 hours but I think 2 is more typical. He has a ton of info he can share if you're interested.

People comment about it being difficult but it's a trail, there are some stones and stumps but if you don't have physical impairments it's fine. We brought water but, speaking freely, I wouldn't next time because it's not that long and I hate carrying it. I'd be thirsty by the end but fine. To recommend to others, sure, bring water for safety and probably comfort. We did our walk at 8 am, typically the guided walks are at 9, still not the heat of the day.

7. Re: Mastic Trail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, July 05, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Grand Cayman