We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations

San Francisco...
Recommendations

Hi

I am super-excited to take my family of 4 (2 kids boy 8 & girl 16) to GC in about 3 weeks. We will stay 5 nights at the Ritz Carlton on Seven Mile Beach. I am looking for recommendations on activities to plan our days. We are not divers so that is out. We like Snorkeling and love hanging around by the beach. I want to make sure kids are not bored. Do I need to rent a car in GC to get around? I am hoping weather will be nice and sunny!

Thanks

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
reviews: 97
1. Re: Recommendations

You should definitely rent a car. As far as activities, they are numerous. Do a search if you haven't done so already because this is a common question. Off the top of my head I'd suggest a Sting Ray City snorkeling trip, perhaps a fishing charter, any number of shore snorkeling areas (particularly those where there is a restaurant to go to for lunch), and taking a drive around the island and spending a day at Rum Point. At the Ritz you can always try parasailing, paddleboarding, or other water activities. For rainy days and/or shopping visit Caymana Bay or stroll around GT.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
reviews: 17
2. Re: Recommendations

Smushie offers good suggestions. I would only add spending quality family time, long beach walks and family talks. Focus on time together and don't worry about the kids and being bored. They are being given a gift just going on a nice family vacation. They will , I hope, be grateful, not bored.

Brooklyn, New York
reviews: 31
3. Re: Recommendations

You might not need to rent a car the entire time, maybe just 2 of the days. You might want to drive out to Rum Point and also check out Starfish Point while you are there. Also, you might want to drive into town to do some duty free shopping (you can also take a cab there).

If you do a Stingray City tour, you can walk to Captain Marvin's Watersports, it is in the Falls Shopping Center just across from the Westin. They do regular excursions to Stingray and have a bus that brings you there and back. I am sure there are other tour companies that go there and pick up at the hotel.

The Ritz property is very spread out - hotel on the island side and residences on the ocean side with an enclosed "bridge" walkway to get from one side to the other. There are stores (high end - Tiffany, etc.) and the grounds are beautiful with plenty to do, but it's nice to have the option to drive places and do a little exploring. It's a very safe island, and if you pull over to look at your map, a local may also pull over to help you find your way. This has happened to us a few times!

Have fun!

Carolina
reviews: 14
4. Re: Recommendations

If you rent a car, be prepared to be able to drive on the left side of the road with the steering wheel on the right side of the car. I got the hang of it, but did have one or two minor near misses. The round-abouts are tricky. Strongly suggest you make sure you are covered by insurance...check with your agent before leaving. We rented for an entire week from Hertz and was pleased with car, service and cost.

Kansas City...
reviews: 4
5. Re: Recommendations

We just booked our stingray city/barrier reed snorkel tour with Ebanks watersports,should be great and they have very good reviews!

Kansas
reviews: 42
6. Re: Recommendations

Your family may enjoy driving out to Rum Point one day and finish it off with a nighttime kayak tour to the bioluminescent cove with Tom from Cayman Kayaks:http://www.caymankayaks.com/bioluminescence.html

We reserved prior to traveling to GCM to ensure we would be able to do the tour. It looks like there will be tours July 23 -31. It is well worth the time and money and our boys, then aged 11 & 15, are ready to go again on our next trip to GCM. There are other things to do for the earlier part of the day, drive by Starfish Point; eat at Kaibo bar & grill (open til late) or The Wreck Bar & Grill (closes at 4 or 5); you could spend the entire day snorkeling north of the pier and east around the point utilizing Testudo's snorkel guide (highly recommended) : http://snorkelblog.tumblr.com/. Enjoy!

Winston Salem...
reviews: 10
7. Re: Recommendations

Dolphin Cove and Stingray City tour with Captain Marvin for sure! Also be sure to visit the Turtle Farm and you can eat next store at the tiki bar or Cracked Conch. Yum!

San Francisco...
reviews: 21
8. Re: Recommendations

You are going to have so much fun! My family of 6 ( an 8 and 9 yr old boy and girl and two 15 year old girls) were there from June 14-22. My recommendation is to enjoy seven mile beach it is amazing and don't skip sting ray city everyone will love it! The only bad thing will be your flight : I'm assuming you are flying SFO - it's a long one (we are from Walnut Creek)- luckily my kids slept- or played on iPads. I'm jealous - have fun and take LOTS of pictures!

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
reviews: 43
9. Re: Recommendations

Be sure to check out what activities the RC might suggest. They have lots of options and can set you up with Stingray City etc. I would rent a car. You can go to dinner or spend the afternoon at Camana Bay (lovely place to eat, visit the observation tower, etc), drive to GT, hit places like Macabuca and those are all right on the west side of the island. Taxis will add up. I find the drivers to be extremely courteous and the roads eaiser than many big cities here in the US. Be sure to even ask people like your servers whats happening and where. Your family might enjoy the cat trip to Stingray City as well. Have a great time and good luck with the weather -- this year the "rainy" season seems to be holding up to its name!

San Francisco...
10. Re: Recommendations

Thank you all for your time and recommendations!