We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights from JFK

Which Grand Cayman hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
reviews: 12
Flights from JFK

I have read that Cayman Air is great out of JFK but their flight schedule is very weird. Anyone have bad experience flying Jet Blue? Their schedule is much better and prices are comparable.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
reviews: 69
1. Re: Flights from JFK

I have had nothing but great experiences with Jet Blue, and that includes flying to the Caribbean (Sint Maarten in my case).

What do you find weird about Cayman Airways' schedule?

New Jersey
2. Re: Flights from JFK

First, they leave the arrival and departure destinations on different days so you can't, say, leave and return on a Thursday. For a typical 7 night vacation you have to either cut your stay short by a day or make it longer by a day. Also, departing flights on any day are not till 5 something PM. I hate having to kill so much time on departure day after check-out and hate getting home late on a cold February night.

New York
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
reviews: 41
3. Re: Flights from JFK

I love Cayman Airways and they way they treat their customers (as well as other airlines customers for instance in the face of Hurricane Dean -- never forget how great they were). We usually fly down on Saturday and home on Sunday so we make it an extra day but could do Sat to Sat and we drop off our bags and check in early and then go hang out with friends for Sunday brunch. I think it is a perfect example of different strokes for different folks!!!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
reviews: 18
4. Re: Flights from JFK

The most flexibility is to be found with AA, but then you have to transit through Miami. Granted, it's an infinitely bigger issue for non-US citizens/residents than others but it's not a great airport in any metric and English is apparently a foreign language. Just FYI but that first AA flight out from GCM-MIA arrives at a sweet spot in flight arrivals and the last time I did it there were less than a dozen people in the entire immigration hall when I walked in

Cayman Airways is a solid airline, I've been bought tickets on their flights a few times by AA due to irrops cancelling my original flight. Great staff and I'll sometimes pop by their counter at MIA just to say hi, they tend to remember their passengers better than any other airline I've ever used

New Jersey
5. Re: Flights from JFK

Thanks for that info but if I don't go non-stop I'm not going to Grand Cayman bc of hubby's aversion to stop overs. Looks like Jet Blue so I can get home at a decent hour.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
reviews: 16
6. Re: Flights from JFK

You are lucky that you have the option of a direct flight from JFK. We have no choice but to have a stop over flying from Baltimore. We don't mind so much flying TO Cayman, it's the connection on the way home that is a big pain. Fortunately, we fly through Charlotte which is a nice sized and well run airport.

Knoxville, Tennessee
reviews: 21
7. Re: Flights from JFK

Everyone would love to have non-stops but these days they are very difficult to find to many locations unless you live in a large metro area like NYC. We've learned to live with connecting flights and plan our flights accordingly so that we don't risk missing the connections. Of course you can't count on things running smoothly or there may be a schedule change after you book, but these days if we want to go some place, we just have to bite the bullet.

New Hope...
reviews: 23
8. Re: Flights from JFK

Charlotte usually has many connecting flight. What worries me is that after the merger, American/US airways will cut back on flights.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
reviews: 16
9. Re: Flights from JFK

US Airways already has. We had to change our September dates because they are now offering only weekend flights from Baltimore to Grand Cayman during that timeframe.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
reviews: 18
10. Re: Flights from JFK

I mentioned in one of these threads some time back that post-merger AA will be scaling down operations at CLT in favour of the existing hub at RDU. Same story with most of the other US hubs as the current AA infrastructure focused on JFK, MIA, LAX, DFW, RDU and to an extent ORD is much more valuable and suitable with other OneWorld partners, the alliance to which the post-merger AA will still belong

Get answers to your questions about Grand Cayman