We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best shore dives

Montrose, Colorado
reviews: 36
best shore dives

Hi all.. another question. We are looking at more show diving dive we have those that snorkel only. I heard that the dive at Macabuca restaurant was good. What others would you recommend or suggest. Tx!

New York
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
reviews: 42
1. Re: best shore dives

There is a very easy rule of thumb . . . the reason the dive ops set up shops at certain locations is because there is best shore diving at those locations. I have logged many many dives at Sunset House and still love it . . . remember if you go that any males in your party must show the mermaid the proper respect. Eden Rock is just down from there == another great spot. Love the diving off Macabuca. Bascially you can't go wrong. You must have a buddy and a c-card and don't miss out on boat dives . . . there is a reason why GC is constantly written in the dive mags as a top 10 location!

Montrose, Colorado
2. Re: best shore dives

Ok. Ty and cool. So if we do a two tank boat dive. .. what would u suggest?

New York
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
3. Re: best shore dives

Depending on where you are staying if they have an inhouse op use them ... the ops across the board are excellent. I cannot image as divers not taking full advantage of the wonderful reef system easily accessible by boat all around the island. As to what do I suggest, it makes no difference. There are more 365 wonderful dive sites and basically it is first come first serve at the moorings. Generally the boat captain will ask who has done what so far on the trip rather than bring guests back to the same place they may have been the day before. If you are only thinking about doing one trip it will all be new to you and if you really enjoy diving, you are short changing yourselves by limiting your diving to only one trip. You can get in a shore dive any afternoon or day, but it just seems like a shame to go to a world class dive destination and not take advantage. Some of the ops offer packages -- where are you staying?

Montrose, Colorado
4. Re: best shore dives

We are staying at 7 Mile Beach Resort. We did 2 tank dives and 2 shore dives when we stayed on St. Lucia and when we dove Saba and Curacao(myself and husband). It usually suits us plus we snorkel and we have nondivers in our group of 7. 3 divers have been doing so about every year since 2002. One since the 1970's on and off, but diving every yr since 2001, one who has only just recently certified and did boat and shore in February. Are any dives good for snorkeling too? Now you know our thoughts/and levels. Thanks for your help!!

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
reviews: 84
5. Re: best shore dives

I would echo what Retrip says about doing the boat dives as well as shore dives. Also try Lighthouse Point and Cobalt Coast for two other shore dives which are neat.

Boat dive locations depend so much on the weather and which boat got to the buoy first - most dive ops let you express a preference, but to be honest, they often know best. I would suggest that most are not really suited to snorkelling on the same trip - you're going to see far more doing it from shore at far less cost to you!

Macomb, Illinois
reviews: 25
6. Re: best shore dives

As a snorkeler, I really enjoyed going with my diving friends to Sting Ray CITY (not sandbar). I also enjoyed snorkeling about them and watching as they explored the Eden Rock/Devil Grotto area (shore dives just south of the Harbor).

New York
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
7. Re: best shore dives

Brit is right. I would also echo his point about boat trips to dive sites not really being geared to snorkelers. The two big exceptions might be the Kittiwake and of course Stingray City Dive site (not Sandbar). There are trips to the Kittiwake geared for snorkelers and for divers -- can't tell you if they all go on the same boat. At STR you can go to the dive site (12 to 15ft) where both groups can be in the water together. Just make sure you go with a boat that has scuba. There are lots of great places where you can all team up for a little offshore snorkeling. Divers and snorkelers do two very different things. There is not point in donning the gear if you are not going to drop down a bit with scuba and when you go down you stay down until the end of the dive for personal safety. For that reason you cannot be interacting with people on the surface anyway. Let the divers get in a few dives at least (it is world class) and then you can all hang together and have a great time discussing who saw what while you were separated. There are any number of great ops. See if Seven Mile has someone they recommend. Any and all of the ops will pick you and up and drop you off so that is not a problem. If you go on a bigger boat like the flat boats that Red Sail Sports have you have a better chance of non-divers being able to come on the boat depending on how many divers are there booked that day. You will have to pay anyway though obviously not for gear. Your non divers might be allowed to swim around the boat for the first deeper dive when the dive is over -- but they won't see much. The dives usually start at 70 to 80 feet and the person doing safety watch is there to watch for divers. Of course the other choice is to charter a group, but in my opinion that would be very expensive and not provide an ideal situation for either group. Trying to keep everyone together is truly like trying to mix oil and water -- one stays on the top and the other on the bottom!!!

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
reviews: 84
8. Re: best shore dives

Agree completely - I had friends that did the Kittiwake with some diving and some snorkelling and they highly recommend it. Stingray City is similar. Both of those tend to be one-tank dives, though, in my experience (which is limited). You wouldn't tend to go to one of those sites as part of a morning out.....

I would think that snorkellers are going to see a lot more at the better snorkelling sites, and will often find when they compare notes with the divers that they have seen just as interesting stuff!

Montrose, Colorado
9. Re: best shore dives

Thanks for the recs. I just want us to be together if we can. If it means having one day out with a two tank dive(just the divers) and then doing a shore dive while the other snorkel, that is fine too. I appreciate thd to e input. We are really looking forward to our trip!

10. Re: best shore dives

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 04, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Grand Cayman