We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st Trip to Grand Cayman

Which Grand Cayman hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Midway, Kentucky
reviews: 2
1st Trip to Grand Cayman

Hello All -

We have booked our flight to Grand Cayman for the first week of June. This is our first vacation outside of the states so we are totally new to this. Hubby loves to dive - I love to lay on the beach while he dives. We like to have some seclusion but also would like to interact with other adults. Would also like to be within walking distance to most restaurants, some nightlife, etc. After reading the forums it seems as if SMB is the best place for us - but where? Any help on the following is greatly appreciated:

-Best hotel or condo on SMB that has a great beach and rooms overlooking the ocean (preferably under $300) and is geared more towards adults only.

-Do we need to rent a car while we are there?

-Recommended dive stores/excursions?

Thanks!!

Kansas City...
reviews: 4
1. Re: 1st Trip to Grand Cayman

We are heading down this July staying at the Westin which has the best strech of beach but won't be adults only.As for dive operators,I have heard great things about and am going to use "Living the Dream" divers

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
reviews: 16
2. Re: 1st Trip to Grand Cayman

No accomodations in Cayman are geared for adults only. Families with children are welcome everywhere. Whether or not there will be kids where you stay is the luck of the draw.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
reviews: 88
3. Re: 1st Trip to Grand Cayman

I totally disagree about the Westin Beach being the best. It's full of people and certainly not what I would call "best" There are no adults only resorts on the island but a quiet condo might be the way to go. I'd suggest renting a car, even for a few days, but, my best suggestion would be to search the boards for the answers to some of your questions. These are common questions with many answers and opinions. As far as dive ops, once you figure out where you are staying and what you're looking for (size of boat, group..) it will help to narrow your choices.

Midway, Kentucky
reviews: 2
4. Re: 1st Trip to Grand Cayman

Thanks for the quick replies. We aren't anti-kids (since we have 3 of our own and 4 grandchildren!) - just looking for some quiet time, hence the geared towards adults request.

I have searched the forums but am so overwhelmed from all the searches ( was looking at Aruba also) that I thought I would try to get direct recommendations.

Are there multiple places to rent cars from? Any better then the rest?

Thanks again!

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
5. Re: 1st Trip to Grand Cayman

If you can make some trade-offs in either your nightly price range or being within walking distance to a number of activities, I can offer some specific suggestions for you. Like you, we are grandparents but really do not want to deal with children, the running, squealing and splashing that accompanies them. If you can raise your budget a bit, ground floor unit #10 at Plantana directly faces the ocean, very private and is removed from the pool. It is above your budget but is within walking distance to a number of restaurants and just a hop removed from the central section of Seven Mile Beach.

Unit #7 at Aqua Bay, groundfloor oceanfront, is at the end of the complex, private and away from the pool. Unit #2 at Anchorage, ground floor and what I would call oceanview, is set back from the beach a bit but facies toward it, private and not near the pool. I mention pools because kids and parents playing noisily in a pool drives us nuts. The trade off in these 2 complexes is that you are within walking distance to a couple of small restaurants, and a beach bar or 2, but not in the middle of the action. A car is recommended if you stay in that area, northern Seven Mile Beach. White Sands is a small, quiet complex, units face the ocean and NO POOL!! A car is recommended if you stay there, as well. There are plenty of other condo options, check caymanvacations.com or caydirect.com to start your search, see what fits your budget and offers what you would like.

Kansas City...
reviews: 4
6. Re: 1st Trip to Grand Cayman

The Westin has the nicest and widest stretch of beach....

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
reviews: 88
7. Re: 1st Trip to Grand Cayman

Take a look at the satellite image on google.maps and try again. Beyond that, you're not going to convince me that a beach awash in chairs, people in front of me, behind me, and beside me, napkins blowing about, and the sounds of all forms of water craft coming and going is "nicest". From my spot on Seven Mile Beach, the Westin and the Ritz both look like a zoo.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
8. Re: 1st Trip to Grand Cayman

Ryanboz7: Not necessarily so. The entirety of central Seven Mile Beach is pretty much the same, so all of the properties have wide and sandy beaches. The same can be said for beaches at Caribbean Club, Coral Stone, Meridian, Beachcomber, Islands Club, Casa Carib et al. Superlatives such as " widest" and "nicest" are irrelevant, and do not apply. Also, for some, the best beach is the least populated one.

Edited: 8:11 pm, May 01, 2013
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
reviews: 8
9. Re: 1st Trip to Grand Cayman

Grand Cayman Beachsuites has special Spring/Summer rate (AAA or Seniors 65+) of $375. Over your desired cost, but you will not need to rent a car, will be near what you want, and get a separate bedroom/living dining area, kitchenette including under cabinet frig and microwave. That is where husband and I like to stay when going as just a couple. Being able to relax quietly with snacks, lunch and pre dinner drinks/munches, occasionally have a take out dinner in the suite is a nice plus, no rental car or temp CI drivers licenses, etc ends up saving on other costs.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
reviews: 64
10. Re: 1st Trip to Grand Cayman

Got to agree that the beach at the Westin is far from the best part of Seven Mile Beach, by my standards. If you want something a little less crazy, the condos in the middle-stretch of Seven Mile Beach will give you pristine, uncrowded beach with plenty of room to spread out. You will also be within easy reach (either with rental car or public bus) of some great eateries and shopping experiences.

As to dive shops (the term "excursion" is usually used for the cruise passengers, pretty much any of them will pick you up from any of the condos around there and take you to their boat. There are many good (and, based on what I've heard, no bad) dive operators on the island. Like others, I have my favourite.