We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Identify this Fish?

Which Grand Cayman hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas
reviews: 30
Identify this Fish?

I didn't want to continue on off2gcm's question with my question regarding the identity of this fish. I believe I have finally determined how to link these photos to this forum. I originally thought it might be a trunkfish (I know nothing about fish in the Caribbean), but wonder now if it could be a cowfish? It looks like there are possibly little 'horns' in the enlarged picture. I took this in March in shallow water (just before reaching the large plot of sea grass near shore as I snorkeled back toward shore) off the smaller, west beach at the Retreat at Rum Point. I just think it is a cool looking fish whatever it is. And very well camouflaged!

...https://plus.google.com/photos/115789524148206625037/albums/5872786120105571713?authkey=CPzwuLuE7MKh5AE

Mount Tabor, New...
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
reviews: 18
1. Re: Identify this Fish?

It is a Cowfish.

Kansas
reviews: 30
2. Re: Identify this Fish?

Cool. Thank you.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
reviews: 69
3. Re: Identify this Fish?

I think it's a juvenile cowfish. From most of the adult cowfish I have seen, they have more well-defined markings.

Tennessee
reviews: 21
4. Re: Identify this Fish?

Scrawled Cowfish as compared to the honeycomb cowfish which can also be found in the carribean. The scrawled cowfish can change its color to an extent and lighten, darken, etc.

5. Re: Identify this Fish?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, May 03, 2014