We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoiding Cruise Crowds (no offense)

Milford, New Jersey
Avoiding Cruise Crowds (no offense)

Is there a website that I could check to see when Cruise ships are docking and how long they are staying? Would like to avoid the 'hot spots' when they are in port. Thanks in advance.

Mount Tabor, New...
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
reviews: 18
1. Re: Avoiding Cruise Crowds (no offense)

Deeply offended, but I'll play nice...

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147365-i261-k3825…

Follow the link to the Cayman Port authority and you can see the scheduled ships and maximum passenger loads by ship for any day.

Ship cannot stay overnight and most leave between 4 and 6 PM.

Edited: 8:48 pm, March 05, 2013
Milford, New Jersey
2. Re: Avoiding Cruise Crowds (no offense)

Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for. Happy to see that there will be no cruise ships on my birthday :)

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for East End, Grand Cayman
reviews: 12
3. Re: Avoiding Cruise Crowds (no offense)

"Deeply offended"

LOL

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
reviews: 19
4. Re: Avoiding Cruise Crowds (no offense)

Next you'll be disparaging their choice of attire! I shan't hear of it!

Calicos is great around 4-5pm as the Cruisers leave and theres a great calm after the storm to accompany the setting sun

New York
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
reviews: 42
5. Re: Avoiding Cruise Crowds (no offense)

There is some really interesting people watching at Cayman Cabana (Hammerheads) around 2ish.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
reviews: 84
6. Re: Avoiding Cruise Crowds (no offense)

Yeah, I have got to say that sometimes deliberately entering the fray as a spectator sport is highly entertaining. I think that you have to have the right attitude, though - like not expecting the usual service at a place because they are so busy...

The great thing about Grand Cayman for me is that it *is* quite easy to avoid these crowds when you want to.

New York
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
reviews: 42
7. Re: Avoiding Cruise Crowds (no offense)

At two you are watching people racing back to the tenders. Although I have never been a cruiser if it should ever happen, I have learned a few lessons from watching . . . pay for transportation being the highest ranking and make sure I dress for sun exposure or atleast decently (which I would do anyway) would be second on my list. From about two onwards the island starts to resume normal life although sadly some of the ships do leave a little later now. However as it is a "tender" situation, people need to start lining up before time! Happy Birthday!

Edited: 10:16 am, March 06, 2013
Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
reviews: 1
8. Re: Avoiding Cruise Crowds (no offense)

Since I am never in George Town or on SMB or at Rum Point, the cruisers don't impact me. But, remember that they are a MAJOR source of revenue for the CIG. Without them, we would be paying even higher duty on everything. JMHO.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
reviews: 84
9. Re: Avoiding Cruise Crowds (no offense)

I don't think that Caymanites would enjoy anything like the same standard of living without the cruise business, and the island wouldn't be anywhere close to the same for the visitors.

I like the way that the island manages the cruise ships, and it's very easy to bypass those places if you don't want it. The cruise passengers really enjoy their stay too, so I really think that it's a win-win.

I don't think that I have visited an island that got the cruise ships visiting who didn't make fun of the passengers, in some way or another, though.

10. Re: Avoiding Cruise Crowds (no offense)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:44 pm, March 07, 2013
Edited: 10:44 pm, March 07, 2013