We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beachs - Sea Grape or Palms?

Beeville, Texas
Beachs - Sea Grape or Palms?

I am traveling on the Royal Caribbean this week and have reserved an excursion through Dolphin Discovery but I want to take the family to the beach afterwards.

On another Forum they have recommended both of the above beaches, any thoughts on the Beach?

We will be shopping more in Cozumel so I am excited about the Dolphins and beach in Cayman!!

Rookie Cruiser w/ Family

New York
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
reviews: 42
1. Re: Beachs - Sea Grape or Palms?

If you want to do something in Cayman that you can't do anywhere else in the world, skip the dolphins and book a more private trip to Stingray City. The rays are in their natural world but over the years have become use to humans since the fishing boats came into the north sound to clean their catch. It is truly amazing. They come and go as they please! Captive dolphins can be found in many places. Either beach should be lovely. Hope you have a lovely trip!

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
reviews: 11
2. Re: Beachs - Sea Grape or Palms?

I am in total agreement with Retrip that going to Stingray City/Sandbar a much better choice than the Dolphin Discovery. The stingray excursion cannot be experienced anywhere else; they are NOT the dangerous variety like Steve Irwin encountered!

Beeville, Texas
3. Re: Beachs - Sea Grape or Palms?

Wow, thank you so much for the replies! I never expected two replies so quickly LOL!

I have already paid for the dolphins and the wife and kids are really looking forward to it.

Is there a chance to do the rays on a short trip afterwards?

She read so much about the Discovery Dolphin and they were great to us when we reserved, the others didnt even answer!!!

Do you recommend an operator for the rays so we can get in touch with them from the ship and try and schedule the rays as well?

RCF

New York
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
reviews: 42
4. Re: Beachs - Sea Grape or Palms?

Honestly don't know if you will have enough time to do both, especially as I don't know how long the DD lasts. Look at the stingraycity.org webpage or caymanislands.ky and look at the list of ops. Stingray City involves a boat trip, but a more private excursion might leave on your schedule and a faster smaller boat will be much better than the many of the big boats that take cruisers enmasse!

Los Angeles...
reviews: 104
5. Re: Beachs - Sea Grape or Palms?

Plus you can do dolphin swim at the cozumel

Beeville, Texas
6. Re: Beachs - Sea Grape or Palms?

Thank you for your help, I will look through the list.

Milo, thanks for the help but I have already paid for it but willd efinately look thru the list.

RCF

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
reviews: 16
7. Re: Beachs - Sea Grape or Palms?

Back to your original question, after your Dolphin experience I would recommend taking a taxi or tour bus to SeaGrape Beach rather than the Royal Palms. I truly doubt that you will be able to arrange a Stingray City trip that will fit within your time constraints. Save that for your next, hopfully a land-based, trip to Grand Cayman. Both SeaGrape and the Royal Palms offer a beach, and beach/snack bar but SeaGrape Beach is much larger than the one at the Royal Palms and will offer you more space to distance yourself from the mass of cruise visitors who will be at both places. Understand that many regular posters here, myself included, are not supporters of the Dolphin establishments or even the large numbers of ships that are permitted to visit the Island at one time, so that is probably why you received the responses that you did.

SWANSEA
reviews: 1
8. Re: Beachs - Sea Grape or Palms?

Sea Grape will be closer to the dolphins and the Reef Grill/Royal Palms will be closer to the pier. They are very similar. The website for the ReefGrill/RoyalPalms is www.reefgrill.com and they have webcams so you can check it out.

I hope this helps!

Enjoy!

Miami
9. Re: Beachs - Sea Grape or Palms?

I think you can still change your tour with Royal Caribbean. there is another Dolphin Facility in Cayman, Dolphin Cove, It's great, I just did it. They sell their tours in combination with with Stingray City and there is time for both. Ask the shore ex manager on board. Hope this helps!!!

Toronto
10. Re: Beachs - Sea Grape or Palms?

Hello, did you end up going to Dolphin Discovery. I am going on a Royal Carribean Cruise with my kids (4 & 9) and want to know if it is good.

What did you do in Jamacia and Cozumel?