We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ritz or Marriott?

Which Cayman Islands hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Virginia
reviews: 24
Ritz or Marriott?

I am looking at going to GC with my wife and 2 kids (4 and 2) sometime in the next 3 or 4 months. Which is better for families... Ritz or Marriott? Is the Marriott undergoing renovation?

Anywhere else similar to these resorts on GC I may have overlooked?

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
reviews: 88
1. Re: Ritz or Marriott?

These two resorts are not-at-all alike. I'd go with the Ritz if that's an option.

new york
reviews: 5
2. Re: Ritz or Marriott?

Ritz definitely. Much bigger beach area. Marriott beach very small. But Marriott is closer walking to restaurants though. So it depends on what you are looking for.

New York
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
reviews: 41
3. Re: Ritz or Marriott?

Both are great for families, but cater to families with different budgets. The Marriott is a great place, reef balls make for fun snorkeling in front. The beach is much narrower. The hotel is older (no word on when the renovations will start). While Marriott owns RC, the RC is a different brand and was created to reach a different sector of the holiday economic pie chart. Couple that with the fact that it is a much newer property and on a better part of the beach, it really depends on how much you want to spend. The main hotel rooms at the RC are across the street from the beach and connected by walkway. If it was me traveling with a family of four, I would be looking the condos like the Caribbean Club over any of the hotels. We used to take two adjoining rooms at the Hyatt however when we discovered the villas we never did the hotel thing again. The Beachsuites has a small kitchen area (stove top, fridge, microwave, etc) and the rooms are a bedroom and living room if that might better suit your family. There are lots and lots of restaurants within walking distance to all.

Raleigh, North...
reviews: 45
4. Re: Ritz or Marriott?

When we were in Cayman last February we walked by the Marriott and Ritz frequently. The beach in front of the Marriott was small, unattractive and seemed really crowded. The Ritz was much better but my God the expense! The Westin and properties just to the north have the most beautiful sections of beach.

Virginia
reviews: 24
5. Re: Ritz or Marriott?

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Looks like I'll be crossing Marriott off the list. :)

How was the Westin Property? Clean, up to date?

New York
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
reviews: 41
6. Re: Ritz or Marriott?

The RC is the most expensive hotel property on GC at the moment . . . if it is in your budget and you know before you go, there shouldn't be sticker shock . . . it is usually operating at full room capacity (it like others does groups during the off season but not the high season) and I guess there must be something that draws guests back time after time despite the price. The price at the RC is GC is inline with prices of RCs all over the world. The Westin is a lovely property . . . I met up with one of the DE's who stays there regularly this past May. Lovely beach etc. With the two kids however, you really might be better off in a condo unless you are really tied to the hotel experience. There are several truly wonderful properties -- Beachcomber, Meridian, Lacovia, Carib Club, Coralstone and on and on if you take a look at caymanvacations.com, caymanvacation.com, cicondos.com you might get some ideas. The kitchen and laundry room alone are wonderful and the places are just beautiful (even room for a babysitter!)

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
reviews: 8
7. Re: Ritz or Marriott?

Westin beach is glorious and spacious. Hotel rooms recently renovated, property beautifully landscaped and maintained. While I like some Ritz properties, I actually prefer Westin to Ritz Grand Cayman for many reasons. Marriott beach tiny and crowded. When taking our daily beach walks often have to stop when reaching Marriott because there is no space to walk by. If spending time on the sand is an important element to your GC vacation, as it always is for us, Marriott will be disappointing.

Mason City, Iowa
reviews: 104
8. Re: Ritz or Marriott?

We stayed at the Marriott for three years, and then last year we stayed at the Ritz. The staff at the Marriott were very helpful and would really try to please. The beach, as mentioned, is much narrower and the weight room is miniscule. They do try to have kid friendly events. The Ritz, on the other hand, has a huge fitness room, lots of kids activities (free ice cream in the afternoon!), a great beach with lots of "complimentary" ($50 resort fee) water sports e.g. kayaks, paddle wheel, etc. Even though we stayed on the other side of the road at the Ritz, we still loved our seven days there. Yes, the prices are very, very steep, but you probably knew that. There are restaurants and a grocery store within walking distance from the Ritz. We especially liked the restaurant at the Sunshine Suites. We plan to return to the Ritz again for our yearly journey this time in February instead of March. You get what you pay for, and at the Ritz, you'll be paying a lot...but it was good enough to make us come back.

9. Re: Ritz or Marriott?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, July 03, 2014