We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Price increase for driver's licenses

Which Cayman Islands hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
reviews: 1
Price increase for driver's licenses

I was told by BA (of McCurley's Tours) that the price of a temporary driver's license has increased to $20 from $7.50.

I plan to get an international permit through my local AAA.

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
reviews: 16
11. Re: Price increase for driver's licenses

How much does the international license cost?

If you're not a AAA member, where else do you get it?

Mass
reviews: 4
12. Re: Price increase for driver's licenses

Seriously? Like how much more can they rip you off? That's tripple........

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
reviews: 16
13. Re: Price increase for driver's licenses

I don't consider it a " rip off ". I visit Cayman because I choose to. If I felt that I was being ripped off, I could choose to go elsewhere.

New Hope...
reviews: 20
14. Re: Price increase for driver's licenses

You can't escape from taxes and fees anywhere in the world. At least Cayman does not have sales tax.I don't see anyone complaining about the sales tax in Los Angeles (9%) or VAT in London (20%).

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
reviews: 64
15. Re: Price increase for driver's licenses

The way I see it, it is a form of tax that is levied to those that want to use the roads and related facilities on the island - a lot of what The Cayman Islands does has as its goal to support the local populace. As a result they don't pay a lot of the taxes that we are used to in the USA, for example.

Think of bridge tolls or thruway charges - essentially you are paying to use something that (hopefully) goes back to maintaining that thing, rather than putting it all on the local tax payers, that may, or may not use it.

Since the way around it is to get an international drivers license, it's not like you are completely forced to pay this, if you do some research.

16. Re: Price increase for driver's licenses

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 09, 2014