We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants Open in August?

philadelphia
reviews: 7
Restaurants Open in August?

We are traveling August 5 to 12th. I was hoping to enjoy the BBQ at Leverick Bay but according to their website they only run the BBQ November to July. Will we have problems dining at some of the recommended places during August?

We also are hoping to do a day trip with Double D to Anegada. They only run on Thursdays that time of year and will only go out if there are at least 2 additional people interested. If anyone else is thinking about a trip during that week.....send them an email!

Thanks for your help,

Holly

Stuart, Florida
reviews: 4
1. Re: Restaurants Open in August?

Most restaurants on Virgin Gorda will still be open while you are here. Leverick normally doesn't do the BBQ after July because there are just not enough people around and the Mocko Jumbi troupe is too busy with the Emancipation Festival on Tortola at the beginning of August.

If you can't get someone to do DoubleD to Anegada, you could always take Smith's Ferry on Mon., Wed., or Fri.,. Call them 24 hours in advance for Virgin Gorda pick-up at the Spanishtown ferry dock. They pick up at 7:25am and arrive at Anegada at about 8:20am. The ferry leaves Anegada at 5:00pm to return to Virgin Gorda and then on to Tortola. It is $55.00 per person, is the least expensive way to get to Anegada and you get the longest day on the island.

philadelphia
2. Re: Restaurants Open in August?

Yank,

Thanks so much you are a wealth of information. Would it be worth a trip to Tortola to see the festival?

If we took the ferry to Anegada, once there do you just rent mopeds or something to get around for the day?

Thanks again for the great info. We can't wait to visit.

Stuart, Florida
reviews: 4
3. Re: Restaurants Open in August?

What we like to do when we go to Anegada for the day is walk from the dock to the Anegada Reef Hotel (takes about 3 minutes) and have breakfast ($8.00 or so for full breakfast). We then get a taxi from the hotel to take us to Loblolly Bay (the Big Bamboo) or Cow Wreck. You could do both, just arrange with your driver to pick you up in the middle of the day to take you to another place. Both places serve great Anegada style seafood including grilled lobster, as well as BBQ chicken & ribs, and serve cold beers and drinks all day, so no need to bring your own! They also both have shade huts and chairs (limited). You can also rent scooters from Lil Bit Taz just down the road from the ferry dock or rent a car (you can arrange this with the Hotel, but call before you get to Anegada). I just find it easier when just there for the day to do the taxi thing. If we go for a long weekend, we rent a vehicle. Anegada is our favorite get away place!

Fun events at Festival are the Calypso Monarch show and the August Monday Parade. The ferry companies run extra ferries to Tortola for Festival so it's easy to get over for events.

West Virginia
reviews: 1
4. Re: Restaurants Open in August?

I liked Cow Wreck the best for lounging on the beach and having a drink. I liked Loblolly the best for snorkeling, walking the beach, etc. We were there in Feb of last year and the beach not far from Loblolly (can't think of the name) had fierce waves and currents. Neat to see but we did not hang out there long.

The food at the Anegada Reef Hotel is AWESOME!!!! Especially dinner.

It's fun to rent a car so you can check out the island but you probably won't have a lot of time, plus, like Yank said, the Reef Hotel does not have many to rent out. I too would do the taxi.

Yank, We also really like Anegada. Stayed at the Reef Hotel for a week. What an adventure - that island is SO different. Lots of fun stories to tell friends.

philadelphia
5. Re: Restaurants Open in August?

Thanks for all of the great information! We are getting so excited about our trip. I always love tripadvisor for info about places and you guys have now managed to turn me onto traveltalkonline.com so now I am hooked on that too! Having trouble finding time to actually work!!!!

6. Re: Restaurants Open in August?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 pm, August 15, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Virgin Gorda