We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston to Virgin Gorda, Feb 2013

Boston MA
reviews: 19
Boston to Virgin Gorda, Feb 2013

I am wondering about the best way to get to Virgin Gorda - seems like the only direct flights from Boston to San Juan are offered by Jet Blue; looks like no one offers direct flights to St. Thomas (from which I could take a ferry to VG) and, from what I can tell online, American no longer offers direct flights to San Juan. My best option - in terms of minimal transfers, layovers, etc. - is to fly direct to San Juan, and take an Air Sunshine flight from SJ to VG. Does anyone know of any options that are better than this? Does it matter what day of the week I travel?

Boston
reviews: 18
1. Re: Boston to Virgin Gorda, Feb 2013

I would imagine that in Feb AA would do a non-stop to STT but they do not do this every day. They might not put this on their schedule until after the summer. Otherwise, your best option is what you said- get to SJU and fly Air Sunshine. I thought Jet Blue was flying to STT - is this a direct flight?

Boston MA
2. Re: Boston to Virgin Gorda, Feb 2013

Thanks. All the Jet Blue flights seem to go through San Juan, so I didn't see the point, but now that I think about it, I wonder if it is advantageous to do that and take the ferry - seems like one more time-consuming hop to get to final destination, and yet, given the cost of Air Sunshine RT fares (270 pp), might end up costing significantly less??

Boston
reviews: 20
3. Re: Boston to Virgin Gorda, Feb 2013

Sagvig,

First of all I have to say you look very familiar, but I can't seem to place where I may have seen you. Do you work in Boston or go to any gyms in and around Boston? I live North of Boston, but worked in the city for several years.

We have been going to Virgin Gorda for the last three years in January to the first week in February. This is what we did last year:

We flew Jet Blue direct to St. Thomas. We went on a Thursday, so we needed a nonstop direct flight. We took the the late afternoon direct ferry to Virgin Gorda from Charlotte Amalie.

We returned home on a Saturday. We took the 8:30 AM ferry out of virgin Gorda directly back over to Charlotte Amalie. We flew American Airlines home because we wanted a nonstop flight. Our flight left around 3:30PM.

Jet Blue's flight on the return stopped in San Juan and we didn't want to do that. Even if it is just for refueling, or to let passengers on, we want to by pass any stops. That is just our preference. We paid more for that, but it is worth it in my opinion.

American Airlines didn't post their nonstop flights until August, so you will need to wait a while to see them come up. Good luck.....

Boston MA
4. Re: Boston to Virgin Gorda, Feb 2013

Thanks, this is very helpful. It's funny, because I searched Jet Blue earlier (using fake dates because they are only showing flights thru early Jan), and could have sworn that it only turned up flights thru SanJuan. But after reading your post, I tried it again, and now see that there is a direct flight. I also see this via their "where we jet" page - duh! I am like you - I prefer the most direct routes possible. What is the ferry like - how much does it cost and how long does it take, how much of a hassle? (You can tell I haven't researched that on my own yet.... ) I suppose I can wait till August or so to book flights, and perhaps split between a couple of airlines. I would love to fly AA because I have so many miles with them.

Boston
5. Re: Boston to Virgin Gorda, Feb 2013

The ferry is just fine. We go to the restaurant called The Pump House. It is right upstairs from the ferry. We have lunch and cocktails then it is time for the ferry. If you have time you could also walk down the street and grab lunch in St. Thomas. It is so close.

Once we leave the Cyril E. King (St. Thomas Airport) and grab our bags, our vacation has officially started. The ferry is part of the vacation. It is like taking a little sight seeing trip. There is a top deck with open air seating. That is where we go, however; we have been caught in some showers. There is a covered seating area down stairs, and they have a mens and ladies room on board.

You do have to clear custom's when you land in Virgin Gorda, but that goes pretty quickly.

The price of the ferry is $75 round trip. $5 of that goes to a departure tax.

It is cheaper to buy the round trip ticket.

It is an experience. When I first made the trip to VG a woman on the ferry said you have to earn your trip to Virgin Gorda, and getting there is part of the price you pay to go to such an incredible island. We just love it there. It isn't for everyone though. Do your research and make sure it is what you are looking for. It is a lively party type of island. It is laid back and pretty quiet.

Boston
6. Re: Boston to Virgin Gorda, Feb 2013

Correction, I meant to say it is NOT a lively party island. Quite the opposite.

Boston MA
7. Re: Boston to Virgin Gorda, Feb 2013

Thanks, I have been researching VG and we have chosen it because it sounds idyllic and low key. Glad to hear it confirmed. I will definitely consider the ferry; I'll have to weight it against the convenience of the flights from SJ to VG, but as you say, it the ferry ride is part of your whole vacation experience.

Australia
8. Re: Boston to Virgin Gorda, Feb 2013

If you want to use your AA miles, one route is BOS-MIA-SJU-EIS

You can get to Tortola that way by 5pm and take 6pm North Sound Express to VG.

Other way is BOS-MIA-STT getting to St Thomas at 1:40 or 3:30pm and taking 5pm Speedy's ferry to VG. Direct ferry runs only on Tuesdays and Thursdays at that time and at 4pm on Saturdays. Your return flight from STT would have to be no earlier than 11am on Tue/Thu or 1pm on Sat in order for you to make it on time to the airport.

I guess it will come down to which fare is cheaper (less miles) and if it's available. I don't like to split my journey between couple of airlines. If one is late, the other one doesn't give a c..p, been there done that. Also - rumor has it Air Sunshine can now fly into Virgin Gorda.

Boston MA
9. Re: Boston to Virgin Gorda, Feb 2013

As I noted in original post, I was thinking of flying direct to SJ via Jet Blue, and taking Air Sunshine to VG; I don't think it is just a rumor, they post the SJ/VG flight schedule on their website. Although I'd like to use my AA miles, I'd rather have the most direct flights.

Lawrenceville...
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
reviews: 7
10. Re: Boston to Virgin Gorda, Feb 2013

It is no longer a rumor - one of our tripadvisor posters just confirmed flying Air Anytime from SJU to VG. Great to have that option back!

I am also a fan of the ferry. Guess we got use to using the ferry via Red Hook to St John for so many years we just sort of consider it part of the journey. It is a very scenic trip and the hour and a half goes by fairly quickly. I am not convinced the flight shaves a huge amount of time from the trip. Air Sunshine demands that you be there at least an hour and a half before the flight (they might leave early, hence "Air Anytime"; they could leave late as well) so that eats up the hour and a half you spend on the ferry. I do think the flights arrive on SJU earlier than on STT, so that does give you a couple of extra daylight hours on VG - enough to grab a swim. But actual travel time...not much difference. With my family of four, $260 (one 5-11 yrs and three above 12 yrs) vs. $1080 gives us $800 to spend on an additional snorkel trip...or LOTS of pina coladas at Mad Dogs:

http://www.maddogbvi.net/index.htm

Get answers to your questions about Virgin Gorda