We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach Drops at LDB

Which Virgin Gorda hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
reviews: 5
Beach Drops at LDB

Hi everyone!

My boyfriend and I are traveling to Little Dix Bay in May for five nights (so excited!). We are hoping to take advantage of their complimentary beach drops. On their website, they state they can drop you off at any of seven beaches in the area - does anyone know which beaches these are? And more importantly, for anyone who has done this themselves in the past, which of these beaches should we make sure to visit during our stay?

Any input is appreciated!! Thanks for your help!

Lawrenceville...
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
reviews: 7
1. Re: Beach Drops at LDB

I would ask them directly which beaches they would drop you at. Here is a fair list of beaches to visit:

This first group are all of the scenic boulder strewn beaches:

- Devils Bay

- The Baths

- Spring Bay

- The Crawl

- Little Trunk

- Valley Trunk

This next group all feature superior reef snorkeling:

- Savannah

- Pond

- Mahoe

- Mountain Trunk

- Long

It is possible that they may also drop you at beaches in the North Sound area. Prickly Pear Island would come to mind immediately.

I would strongly suggest visiting the Baths area and the Spring Bay area. They are right next to each other but cannot be reached by walking along the shore. The Baths area connects to Devils Bay via the popular trail through the Boulders. Spring Bay connects to the Crawl, Little Trunk, and Valley Trunk. Savannah/Pond is a beautiful stretch of sand with a very close to shore reef that is also well worth visiting. Mahoe features the largest reef on the island. Mountain Trunk and Long also have superior snorkeling. Long is almost always deserted. A visit to the North Sound, if an available option, is also highly recommended.

I strongly suggest you look at Google Earth, start on the lower west end of the island and continue moving up and around to familiarize with the island and what you might enjoy seeing. You can always rent a car or take a cab and enjoy the sites on your own.

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
2. Re: Beach Drops at LDB

The beaches they will take you to vary depending on time of year and water conditions. Savannah Bay, Pond Bay, Spring Bay, and The Crawl are usually always accessible - FYI, from Spring Bay and The Crawl you can easily walk to The Baths and Devil's Bay since they won't actually drop you off at those two. Not sure if they are still o\on the list but when we were last there the list included two beaches that were on the Dog Islands (can't remember if it was George Dog, Great Dog or West Dog but do recall going to those beaches was very "weather dependent".

I don't remember Mahoe Bay being on the list and recall it's a difficult beach to reach from the sea because of the shallow waters surrounding the off-shore reef. Not sure if Mountain Trunk is "on the list".

If I recall there are a few on the "official" list that are available only when the surrounding waters are very calm and there's no threat of showers or rain squalls.

No, they won;t take you to North Sound or Prickly Pear as part of the "complementary beach drop service" as those are too far from the resort. They do, on occasion, offer day sails to those locations but you pay a per person fee to go on the trip. Of course, you could always charter a boat to reach any of the beaches on the island but you'll pay the "going rate".

Regardless of which beaches are available, it's definitely "worth the trip" - they usually will only take one couple to each of the more remote beaches at any one time so you'll "be alone". Other than Spring Bay/The Crawl which always have other people it really doesn't make too much difference which beach you visit as most will be devoid of anyone else and in those few instances where there might be other people the beaches are big enough that you'll feel virtually alone.

New York City, New...
3. Re: Beach Drops at LDB

Thank you both so much for your help! Have you both enjoyed the snorkeling on virgin gorda? I'm hoping to see some sea turtles as I've never seen any in the wild before and they are my favorite! :)

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
4. Re: Beach Drops at LDB

Snorkeling around Virgin Gorda is quite good - you will have to venture "off-resort" though. Snorkeling off the beach at Little Dix Bay is only so-so. Best snorkeling can be found at the beaches mentioned in the second part of ACB's post.

Consider taking one or more of the day snorkel trips offered by the resort to the Caves at Norman Island, Prickley Pear Island or even Anegada as there's some very impressive snorkeling at those spots.

Whether or not you come across any sea turtles while you are snorkeling is up to Mother Nature - They are in the waters but you never know if they'll be close by or far away.

Edited: 12:53 pm, April 26, 2012
Lawrenceville...
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
5. Re: Beach Drops at LDB

CaribSurfer said it well - no matter where you go the turtles are not hanging out waiting for your arrival. Wish they were, because I like them, too!

Here are some spots in the area where I have seen turles.

On Virgin Gorda:

- Mahoe (several times)

- Long Bay (once)

Day trips:

- Joes Cave (the Dogs)

- George Dog (the Dogs)

- Cistern Point (off Cooper Island)

- The Indians (multiple turtles, multiple types, multiple times)

If I had to pick a favorite snorkeling spot (so far) in the BVI I would say the Indians still tops the list. You should be able to arrange a trip there fairly easily with dive bvi or Double D. Dive bvi does a great half day combination trip with divers that is still very personal and reasonably priced. It usually involves a spot that varies, the Indians, and lunch at the "Wille T".Contact them to make reservations.

New York City, New...
6. Re: Beach Drops at LDB

Thank you both so much for the wonderful advice!

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 36
7. Re: Beach Drops at LDB

Can you please tell me which drop is the best if we are looking for good snorkeling and has areas with shade if you want to get out of the sun ....?

Edited: 12:34 am, April 29, 2012
new york
reviews: 59
8. Re: Beach Drops at LDB

When we were just in VG, LDB dropped people off at Savannah while we were there. They give you an umbrella to take with you. We had the best snorkeling at Savannah this year...we were staying in Mahoe which usually for us is the best, but Savannah was just great. There is also a Thursday thing that LDB does at Spring Bay....I wouldn't waste the drop on the Baths because those are always so crowded...take advantage of Savannah, which can be almost empty during the week.

Lawrenceville...
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
9. Re: Beach Drops at LDB

Savannah also has palapas along the beach that provide great shade.

10. Re: Beach Drops at LDB

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 am, June 19, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Virgin Gorda