We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting Family of 11 to Virgin Gorda

Milwaukee
reviews: 25
Getting Family of 11 to Virgin Gorda

I have done many searches on this board for information but want to be sure I’m not missing anything before we make our flight reservations.

We are determining the best way to get our family of 11 to Virgin Gorda (6 adults, 5 children), weighing both convenience and price. We have decided to go through San Juan and have looked into Air Sunshine, Island Birds, and American Eagle for the flight to Tortola, then taking the ferry over to VG.

Right now Air Sunshine has by far the best price for the short leg, and their price includes the price of the ferry and the arrangements. They said they have their own boats. When my husband asked about all not fitting on the same plane, Air Sunshine said they would add another plane that left 10 minutes later. Does anyone have experience with this? It’s hard to believe they would add a second flight for two people (their planes hold 9 people).

I did see saffie11’s comments about going American all the way in case you have delays, but the American Eagle option would cost $4,000 more compared to Air Sunshine.

Any thoughts from regulars who have done this before would be appreciated!

Charlottesville...
reviews: 115
1. Re: Getting Family of 11 to Virgin Gorda

I would be very surprised that any small airline would have a 2nd light that leaves 10 mins after their first one. Have you looked into chartering 2 flights directly to VG?

Safe travels, alashashttp://www.youtube.com/user/honeymoon2

Milwaukee
reviews: 25
2. Re: Getting Family of 11 to Virgin Gorda

Yes--I questioned that too, but the Air Sunshine representative I spoke with said since our group wouldn't fit on one plane that they would add a second plane.

We have been looking into chartering 2 flights directly into VG. We thought the airport was closed, but evidently it's open to small charter flights. I am going to post another question about two charter companies to see if anyone has used them.

Charlottesville...
reviews: 115
3. Re: Getting Family of 11 to Virgin Gorda

Personally, with 11 persons, I'd charter directly from SJU to VG. You'll get a lot of personal attention in SJU, and save at least several hrs or more of travel time each way by flying directly to VG. We've used most of the charter airlines, and tend to go with the lower priced one. We've flown with AS several times when just a few of us travel, but have only chartered with them once.

Also, contact Bill Hartzman and see what kind of charter rates he can arrange for you - he's a stateside rep for one of the companies, and really knows the BVI - he's given us lots of good advice on numerous trips.

E-mail: bill@billhartzman.com

Have a a great trip, alashas http://www.youtube.com/user/honeymoon2

Tucson, AZ
reviews: 91
4. Re: Getting Family of 11 to Virgin Gorda

I agree, if you are chartering or taking a small airline flight from SJU, you might as well go direct to Virgin Gorda. The airport is open during daylight hours.

West Bloomfield...
reviews: 6
5. Re: Getting Family of 11 to Virgin Gorda

Re Air Sunshine adding a second flight - we saw them do that a couple of years ago - it took longer than ten minutes (nothing takes ten minutes in the Caribbean) and I think that there were more than two people involved. At that time I think that they had just two pilots, and it is hard to fly without one.

6. Re: Getting Family of 11 to Virgin Gorda

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 pm, June 22, 2013