We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dolphins

Iowa
reviews: 27
Dolphins

What do you all think??

Have you done it??

I understand that some people think it is cruel. I am not so sure. They are safe from preditors and have plenty of food.

Agree? Disagree and why??

Gina

Rochester NY
reviews: 26
1. Re: Dolphins

I assume you mean swimming with the dolphins?

If so then I would do it. We did it in Curacao at the Sea Aquarium and it was amazing. I should calrify that, we did the Dolphin excursion which was to go out on an underwater dock, about waist deep, and the trainer called them to us and explained this and that as well as allow us to touch, etc. You could actually swim with them also but we did not feel comfortable doing that on that particular day.

As for cruel, everyone has their own opinion which is why you have vegatarians. We did not have a problem with this.

http://community.webshots.com/user/kagjjg

Iowa
2. Re: Dolphins

Thank you!! It sounds like a fantastic experience. We have wanted to do it for a really long time. We are going for it!!!

Thank you!!

Gina

Iowa
3. Re: Dolphins

I didn't realize that was a link to your pictures. Great pictures! It looks like you had a great time with the dolphins. You have been to some great places.

GIna

Omaha, Nebraska
reviews: 10
4. Re: Dolphins

Hi Gina Tay. your omaha friend is back.. We stayed on Cane Garden Bay (CGB) at Quito's Ole Works Inn. I would recommend CGB over Brewers any day. Brewers is outof the loop on anything,. Not walkable to anything and full of old campers and mosquitos. CGB is walkable to anything including a grocery store bakery, car rental at Dels, 3-5 resturants and bars Cane Garden Bay is easy access to anything. You can also rent a boat for the day there or take a water Taxi to other islands which is easier and cheper than the ferry. Take the water taxi on cruise ship days. On Friday of last week there was less than 30 people on the beach after the cruise ships left. OnThurs at White Bay on Jost there was les than 15 boats in harbour and at Norman Island last wednesday we were the only ones at Pirates. For lodging I would recommend Lighhouse Villas. Although we did not say there they are very new with full accomodations yet secluded enough to be quiet. Give me your email and I will converse with you on this.

Winter Park, Fl.
reviews: 7
5. Re: Dolphins

Caribfreak, what is your opinion of the Belmont area, near Smugglers cove? or Frenchmans Cove area. It looks like Frenchmans is separated from the rest of the island, what is that all about? Which side is best?

Winter Park, Fl.
6. Re: Dolphins

p.s. sorry Gina Tay, I meant to also respond to the Swimming w/ the Dolphins thing. We've done it twice and loved it. You usually need to reserve it way in advance though. I don't think there is anything cruel about it. What is cruel was in Mexico where those poor horses have to pull carts that are overloaded with people in the 100+ heat. That broke my heart.

Iowa
7. Re: Dolphins

Thank you CF! How was your trip??? We have decided to go to St. John instead of Tortola and doing a few day trips to the BVI.

Island girl! That would break my heart too! I think I will go ahead and book the dolphins. Thank you for the info and advice everyone!

Gina

Winter Park, Fl.
8. Re: Dolphins

Gina, You can't go wrong there! where are you staying in St. John?

Iowa
9. Re: Dolphins

Thank you!

I am not sure yet where we are staying. It is making me crazy. I don't like the resorts there so we are looking into villas:

seascape

French Cap

Altamira

I have a few others that I have started to look into. My boys love to swim so we want a pool but in Cozumel and PR the pools were icy cold so I thought a hot tub would be great. We also are so fussy that we need a kitchen to cook for ourselves.

I am going to see if you have reviewed yet!!??

Gina

Winter Park, Fl.
10. Re: Dolphins

Both Altamira and French Cap look great and I like their locations. We stay'd in Splendore in Maria Bluff years ago and loved that area, but even though they had a/c in the bedrooms it did not help us when we tried to cook a meal one night. It was so hot and we could not open up the windows due to the bugs at night.. - I think it was July. I'm not familiar with Seascape. Another time we stay'd in the only villa available for Presidents week (last min trip) in Chocolate Hole. There was no a/c at all, but in Feb. it didn't matter. I would go back to STJ in a heart beat. I know everyone says it is more beautiful than the BVI's and that may be true, but I really wanted to see another island. I did so much research - St. Lucia, St. Barts, St. Martin, ST. Kits. and we decided Tortola because it is right in the middle of all the other islands, so it makes an easy to day trip, which is what we like to do. I can't wait!