We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Headed to Scrub this week. Thanks and what am I missing???

Pittsburgh...
Headed to Scrub this week. Thanks and what am I missing???

First time back to the BVI's after almost 15 years (starting a family). Taking my kids (6, 8, 10) and wife to Scrub Island on Thursday. First, thanks to all on TripAdvisor, especially the Tortola forum, for great insight and recommendations. I used this forum along with the TTOL forum to get back up to speed about the BVIs. Trying not to over-plan this trip since being in the islands is all about keeping it loose, but here is what I have so far:

- have a taxi lined up to pick us up at the STT airport.

- got the ferry schedules on my iphone and am ready to take the first one at the dock to Road Town

- have a rental car line up for me when I arrive at RT (thanks to Jerry's rentals)

- Have mapped all the good restaurants and nice beaches on Tortola

- Have a day sail on a cat booked to go over to JVD (with Karalu)

- Have plans for a ferry over to VG and plan to rent a car (from Mahogany) one day (this one is optional, but I think my kids would love to see the Baths)

I will make sure I review Scrub Island, activities, and the restaurants since you all were kind enough to do that for me. The only question I have is did I miss anything?

reviews: 9
1. Re: Headed to Scrub this week. Thanks and what am I missing???

We just got back from a 10 day sailing trip in the BVI, which was fantastic! You and your family will love it I'm sure. I do have a few questions and recommendations:

Take the "Roadtown Fast Ferry" if you can. Only one that goes non-stop to RT and will get you there in a little over an hour. How are you getting to Scrub Island from Tortola? I assume the resort has some kind of ferry from Beef Island?

I don't know how long you are staying but I would definitely make the Baths a priority. You will never see anything like it anywhere else. Bring snorkeling gear. Your kids will be impressed. Since you will have a car for the day, you may want to take the scenic drive towards Leverick Bay. There is a restaurant/bar on the way called "Hog Heaven" on top of the hill, which has the most fantastic views of the entire North Virgin Gorda Sound. Look for the signs or ask the rental car people for directions. Virgin Gorda is a beautiful island to explore.

We haven't spent much time on Tortola, with the exception of Cane Garden Bay, which was swarming with people from the cruise ships that come into RT. I would skip it. There are too many other beautiful and uncrowded beaches on the islands to choose from.

Not sure where you are going on JVD, but If you have time, visit the "Bubbly Pool" . It is about a 20 minute easy hike from Foxy's Taboo, but well worth it. Kids will love it!

Since you will be driving, just remember that you will be driving on the "wrong" side of the road. Takes some getting used to, especially in intersections and roundabouts. Have fun!

Pittsburgh...
2. Re: Headed to Scrub this week. Thanks and what am I missing???

Awesome, thanks for the tips. Scrub has a private launch that runs every 30 minutes. I will have the car all week and we are doing a 7 day trip.We all have snorkeling gear, but I wanted to get advice on what beaches/snorkeling is best for younger swimmers. My kids are all excellent swimmers and they will have snorkel vests but I still don't want to put them into any risky situations.

We are using Karalu charter to go to JVD so I am pretty much letting them do the navigation. I was interested in the bubbly pool but last month someone was killed at the Bubbly pool. Admittedly the person was hit by a wave next to the pool itself and NOT actually in the pool. The government closed it and I am told it is now reopened. I will ask Gary on the Karalu before making a final decision. Anything else (besides foxy's of course that we should see/do on JVD?

If anyone has good suggestions on Tortola for any entertainment (swimming, snorkeling, lunch/dinner, or otherwise) that is particularly kid friendly I am all ears.

Edited: 12:47 pm, May 27, 2013
British Virgin...
reviews: 7
3. Re: Headed to Scrub this week. Thanks and what am I missing???

Sounds like a plan. Personally, I would definitely go to Virgin Gorda and make Tortola the optional day. I think there is more for the children on VG. On Tortola, I would hike the park on the top - very interesting to see the dry and wet sides and the trees. The beach at Sebastian's is very good for kids, and the restaurant is a good choice, too.

British Virgin...
reviews: 7
4. Re: Headed to Scrub this week. Thanks and what am I missing???

Hadn't refreshed the page before I replied. Doubt you'll need the car for a week - maybe two or three days at most. You can pick up a rental at the airport.

Pittsburgh...
5. Re: Headed to Scrub this week. Thanks and what am I missing???

Sebastian's was on my list for dinner. Will have to check out the beach as well. I assume you are referring to Sage Mountain. I was wondering about that one. As long as it is not too aggressive a hike I think the kids will enjoy that.

Scrub Island is reached from Trellis Bay (near the airport) in Tortola, so Tortola is the easiest place to explore. I looked at less than a week car rental, but a weekly rental was a pretty easy decision. For example, just taking a taxi to the West End from Trellis Bay and back for our day sail nearly paid for 2 days of the car rental! The added benefit is that you can adjust your plans on a whim. From past island experience many years ago, I would recommend a rental as long as you are comfortable driving on steep, narrow, windy roads (I live in PA so I am used that) and can adjust to driving on the opposite side of the road. An added bonus is that Jerry's will meet you after you get through customs in Road Town with the car and paperwork, so we can just hop in an head to the Scrub Island launch.

North Pole, New York
reviews: 97
6. Re: Headed to Scrub this week. Thanks and what am I missing???

Your plans are excellent, no other help is necessary! There will always be others with different ideas but you have some great activities lined up. We would definitely stay on Tortola and make day trips to the other islands. You may decide to switch to another island next trip as well.

We like certain spots like Smuggler's Cove for a beach and Sebastian's and Bananakeet for sunset dinners. But you will also want to relax at Scrub.

But you've done your homework and now it's just a matter of enjoying the trip!

Have a great visit!

7. Re: Headed to Scrub this week. Thanks and what am I missing???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 30, 2014