We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anniversary dinner

Which Tortola hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
nj
reviews: 2
Anniversary dinner

Planning a special anniversary dinner. Would you choose Sugar Mill, Brandywine or Susan's Secret Garden? Leaning toward Susan's from reviews .

Boston
reviews: 17
1. Re: Anniversary dinner

Where are you finding reviews for Susan's Secret Garden? The only one I could find was from 2010. The write-up of the restaurant made it seem like a more casual place that served things like pizza, sandwiches, fetc. - not that there is anything wrong with that, but it is like comparing apples to oranges if you are comparing it to the Sugar Mill and Brandywine which are high end restaurants

What kind of a place are you looking for?

nj
2. Re: Anniversary dinner

I found reviews of Susan's on a couple of websites and they say that lunch is casual but dinner is very romantic with the chef coming to your table and telling you about the evening's dishes. It is our 15th wedding anniversary and we would like something romantic with great food and wine.

Atlanta, GA
3. Re: Anniversary dinner

We loved Sugar Mill and ate there twice during our 5 night stay in Tortola. We stayed at Frenchman's and ate there (good not great) and also Bananakeet-wonderful view, mediocre food. Also had reservations at Dove but didn't make it back to Roadtown as we had taken a day trip to Virgin Gorda and had just come from Roadtown.

Sugar Mill is a gourmet restaurant in a 370 year old Sugar Mill with views of he ocean. Loved it! Prices are similar to the other restaurants we visited, but the food was so much better at the Sugar Mill.

North Pole, New York
reviews: 87
4. Re: Anniversary dinner

Stut - I recommend you read reviews and ask for advice from TTOL as you'll find the BVI forum there is an excellent resource for this topic. Some of the folks there are very experienced with dining on Tortola and will give you their thoughts on all of these spots and others. I know many of the "regulars" have had different experiences with SM for example than enjoy had, but they're comparing their experience to previous visits there too and not to just one dinner. Just another source if you want that much information.

traveltalkonline.com

Boston
reviews: 17
5. Re: Anniversary dinner

I agree with enjoykauai's assessment. I think the food at Bananakeet was only mediocre as well and it was nearly as expensive as the Sugar Mill which has superb food. The view at the Bananakeet, howeve, is stunning. One of my favorite restaurants on Tortola is the Elm in Cane Garden Bay, not gourmet, but just good food, also Quito's in CGB has great food and a good atmosphere. Another place I love is in Roadtown - Cappricio di Mare which is a simple Italian place with really good food.

North Pole, New York
6. Re: Anniversary dinner

SM is an upscale restaurant, while Bananakeet and Sebastian's are very casual places -these are definitely two totally different experiences and that needs to be clarified.

The Elms BBQ is good and fun, but our opinion of the food at the beach bars in Cane Garden Bay (including Myett's, Stanley's/Tony's, Elms, Rymers, Bib Banana, and Quito's) is decent bar food at best.

The reason we love Sebastian's for our special dinners is the casual and comfortable atmosphere and good dishes as compared to the pretentious atmosphere we could not enjoy at SM. That's why we walked from SM to Sebastian's that first night and that defined "our special place". But that's just our experience, you should go to SM or the Clubhouse for a "nicer" dining experience. Maybe have dinner there earlier and give yourself time to get to Bananakeet for the sunset party,and if on Fri enjoy Rubin.

Happy anniversary, and what a beautiful island to celebrate that on!

brooklyn, ny
reviews: 11
7. Re: Anniversary dinner

I agree crmoores....CGB dinners are for rowdy nights out....we ate in the bay many nights at the BBQ but we had a great time and just had fun and took a little "swim" off Quito's when things got more out of control.

South Orange...
reviews: 23
8. Re: Anniversary dinner

I'm not familiar with Susan's Secret Garden. Is that the place on the road to Josiah's Bay? If so, I wouldn't choose that one because of the location. It wouldn't have a view of the ocean and would probably be very "buggy" (a major concern of mine).

Out of the remaining two, I would choose Brandywine for the atmosphere. It's up on a hill overlooking the ocean, and the setting is very romantic. Definitely ask for a private table outdoors (weather permitting). And be prepared for a long meal—the slow service can be excruciating. Have you been to their website? I just checked it out and their current menu looks great: escargot for me, please! :-)

The Sugar Mill is nice and would be my second choice.

BananaKeets would be my next recommendation because of the incredible views and atmosphere. It could definitely be considered romantic, but it isn't as fancy as Brandywine and Sugar Mill.

I would avoid all those places in Cane Garden Bay. They are not anniversary-worthy IMHO.

South Orange...
reviews: 23
9. Re: Anniversary dinner

P.S. My husband and I love Sebastians too, but I don't think it's what you're looking for. I wouldn't consider it upscale at all and wouldn't go there for a special anniversary dinner.

North Pole, New York
10. Re: Anniversary dinner

Sebastian's is a very casual and comfortable spot and not upscale at all, that's why it's our choice when we want a nice but unpretentious evening with a friendly staff and a fantastic sunset on the water. Most folks will not consider it for a romantic dinner of course, that's just our experience. Brandywine or SM will be more of what most folks would be looking for...