We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short layovers in San Juan

Southampton, PA
reviews: 1
Short layovers in San Juan

We're planning our first trip to the BVI in October. The flights we are looking at have an hour layover in San Juan before catching our next plane. All flights are on American, and we will be leaving out of Philly. We have heard that an hour may be too short a time when you are dealing with the airport in San Juan. Any advise would really help.

Holland, MI
reviews: 2
1. Re: Short layovers in San Juan

On the way down you should be OK with an hour in STJ (assuming that you flight is on time. You should be OK but no promises on your luggage). You will probably have to walk from one end of the airport to the other but it's not that big of an airport so don't worry.

On the trip back home that's another story. If you returning from STT you should be OK with an hour because you clear customs in STT. If you are returning from Beef Island that's another story. On the return route you will have to clear customs in SJU so an hour really won't work there. I just changed my flights in May because American changed my schedule making the connection too tight there. You really need a minimum of 90 min and I'm more comfortable with 2 hours. You have to collect all your luggage and than walk all the way from one end of the terminal to the other, up to the second floor, fill out your customs paperwork, clear customs and immigration, recheck your luggage and than make it through the terminal to your gate. If you happend to get there when there's a large group it can take a long time. Hope that helps.

Southampton, PA
reviews: 1
2. Re: Short layovers in San Juan

Thanks for the info Diana2. That helps out alot. Leaving from Philly we won't have to clear customs in San Juan will we? We are going to change our return flight to give us much more time in San Juan (from Tortola) to clear customs. We can't wait to get to the BVI and do some snorkeling. Thanks again!!!

Holland, MI
reviews: 2
3. Re: Short layovers in San Juan

On the way down you don't have any customs to deal with. We leave for Tortola on April 29. We're looking forward to it too. We usually go to St. John so this will be a 'new' island for us to explore. Looking forward to this trip to the BVI has helped make winter in Michigan a little easier.

toronto, Ontario
reviews: 4
4. Re: Short layovers in San Juan

Remember that we all take too much stuff! You can do a month in the BVI with carryon!

I never ever check luggage going there, what does one need.

There is a list of stuff to take for anyone going. I think it was here somewhere if someone else remembers.

I took too much for my month stay and I thought that I hadn't enough