We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tortola Cruise

Which Tortola hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Maine
Tortola Cruise

When we dock in Tortola on our cruise ship, are there any nice beaches within walking distance? We are traveling with our eight-month-old, and don't want to have to carry his car seat along if we don't have to. What about St Martin, St Thomas, or San Juan?? Thanks for any help in advance!

1. Re: Tortola Cruise

There are no beaches near where the cruise ships docks in Tortola. It docks in Road Town, the capital, and you're in walking distance of small shops and restaurants.

If you want to visit the beaches, then I suggest you either rent a car (if you're comfortable driving on the left and steep hills) or getting a taxi. Cane Garden Bay is a safe beach for young children but be aware that the cruise ship will probably organise an excursion here and it will be busy. If you're looking for a quieter beach then try Brewer's Bay (15 mins' drive) or Smuggler's Cove (25 mins' drive). Hope you have a great time.

Let me know if you need more info.

trudi@bestofbvi.com

Bettendorf, Iowa
reviews: 3
2. Re: Tortola Cruise

Another thing to consider - most of the taxis I've ridden in Tortola, St. Maarten, and St. Thomas are NOT going to be the type that will accomodate car seats. Most are the smaller Volkswagen-type vans with the bench seats, with the one on the end that flips down. And they'll cram 8-10 people in one of them. It's not like you'll be riding in Ford Crown Victorias like in most major US cities. You'll probably need to either rent a car (and they drive on the LEFT side in Tortola), or just hold your child on your lap as you ride. That's my observation, anyway. In San Juan (and possibly St. Thomas), you will find vehicles that can accomodate a car seat.