We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety In Grand Case

Which Grand Case hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lancaster, SC
reviews: 53
Safety In Grand Case

My wife and I have been seriously looking at taking a trip to St. Martin in August of this year and staying in Grand Case. One of the top places on our list is GCBC. It seems just recently that I have been seeing more articles on the escalation of crime in St. Martin and especially in Grand Case. We know that there is no place in the world that is safe and you always need to be aware of your surroundings, but we don't want to have to be nervous 24/7 that we may be robbed/attacked, etc. Has the town of GC increased their security lately and/or made any changes to improve their tourist safety ? We have really had our hearts set on Grand Case but are starting to have second thoughts. Any current updates/advice are much appreciated ! If it's not safe, do any of you have any other suggestions on safer places to stay on the island OR even another caribbean Island that is beautiful and safer ? Thanks !

72 replies to this topic
Garden City Beach...
31. Re: Safety In Grand Case

nn

Lancaster, SC
reviews: 53
32. Re: Safety In Grand Case

Guess we'll be seeing you yall then !! For once...this will probably be a LONG summer ! HA!

Huntington Beach...
reviews: 2
33. Re: Safety In Grand Case

DON'T ASSUME BECAUSE IT HASN'T HAPPENED-IT WON'T- This is specifically to MikesTikibar mit43, tilly41 and any of the other seasoned SXM travelers. I have been traveling to St. Martin for 10 years- I was robbed my first year there as we stopped off the side of the road for 1 minute to look at the beach-We were robbed of all our belongings the very first day we were there, we had locked our car but the locks were broken. La Samanna made us feel safe and secure, we learned from our mistake of trusting locals. WE WERE ABSOLUTELY TARGETED! So are all tourists if you don't beware.

Having said all this MikesTikibar, Grand Case is fun and it has some terrific restaurants-I was just there last week and enjoyed Le Pressoir very much but, BE SMART!! St. Martin is worse off in the crime than St. Bart's and Anquilla-YOU ARE NOT SECURE ANYWHERE- again I say be smart-

Sadly- I will not be returning to SXM accept to fly to St. Barts because last week our rental car was stolen from our very secure, GUARD GATED, very exclusive hotel and now we are out $18,000 even though we bought insurance- So just remember that while you can be robbed anywhere, the local thugs target all tourists and there is not a COMPLETELY safe hotel anywhere on the island- Don't rely on past experience people- good luck to all of you- I am not an angry person, I have written good reviews on this TI-<3

Cedar Point, North...
reviews: 122
34. Re: Safety In Grand Case

It has been stated over, and over, and over. NEVER leave ANYTHING in a vehicle ANYWHERE in St Martin. It can and will happen extremely fast. Your story just shows you did not take heed to this extremely vital guideline.

You were robbed your very first year, but continued visiting for 10 years? Were you robbed those other years or did you follow common sense and were ok? Why did it take this long for you to stop going? What about the other 9 years?

Cookham Dean...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
35. Re: Safety In Grand Case

La Samanna...and your rental was nicked? Clearly if you are out of pocket by 18KUSD you had no insurance...that's how it is unfortunately.

Huntington Beach...
36. Re: Safety In Grand Case

I was robbed last week- my rental car was stolen from A GUARD GATED very exclusive very high end "safe from paparazzi" no entry allowed unless you're a guest hotel. Did you know that over 360 cars were stolen from Jan-Oct last year????? It is an epidemic. I was like you after our first naive trip and robbery, we never left that resort with any if our belongings in the car. We did "take heed"- we came back... As I said in my post because we felt secure at our hotel and lived the island. I have defended this island many times on TI. I just defended it before my trip last week. I will not be returning and as I said before-don't assume that you are secure anywhere. There are thefts from hotels, there are break ins there are stabbings, there are hotels safes being broken into and while I travels a great deal and know that theft and crime can happen anywhere. I believe that thugs on that island are getting more bold and more aggressive each year. Don't assume that you belongings are safe in your hotel. I've read many stories and I am NOT naive and I did "take heed" to all the advice and I did play down an poo poo all the nay sayers until now so if you want to risk it go ahead. I won't step foot in that island except to go to St Bart's. No offense to anyone, I just thinking people ought to know.

Cedar Point, North...
37. Re: Safety In Grand Case

Ah, I understand now. I am sorry for your loss. We never travel without proper Insurance. If the car is stolen, we are covered. It could happen in my own driveway at home. That's life in this world. I am certainly not going to move every time there is a robbery or car stolen.

What did your hotel say about the theft from their property?

Cedar Point, North...
38. Re: Safety In Grand Case

PS...

You didn't say a word about your car being stolen in your review of the property. What's up with that? Shouldn't you have warned future guests that your car was STOLEN from the property?

Huntington Beach...
39. Re: Safety In Grand Case

I know that people are going to beat us up on here and I'm fine with that! But, I KNOW we should have felt secure about our surroundings in this exclusive hotel compound.

We had insurance on the car- we take care of our belongings. We were leaving for the airport and parked in front of our private little 10 foot path to our suite. We realize now that an employee hired by La Samanna was watching. Most likely a gardener. My husband was loading our car- he wanted to cool it down for me so he turned on the air and put our luggage in. He walked back 10 feet to get me as I was finishing my hair. He was gone 1 minute. I know what you are going to say and IF IT WERE any other hotel I would agree with you and he would not have had the FALSE sense of security. But we were at La Samanna. I am not telling people this to make anyone feel bad for choosing the island. I am simply realizing that it doesn't matter where you stay, it doesn't matter about gates, locked hotel rooms, locked safes, wallets in front pockets or any of that! This island is worse and I didn't believe it before this. Let me ask you something. Would you never load your car in your neighborhood and turn the air on to cool it down? For a minute? We've done that many times here at home and my point is. If I can't do that at La Samanna, I don't want to visit that island. If it's that bold and that aggressive and we all have to worry that much and people renting condos have to go to the hardware store and buy broomsticks for their sliding doors, then I would rather go to St. Bart's. That's all I'm saying. So go ahead and beat me up and tell me how naive and stupid we are for trusting a guard gated "super private and exclusive" place like La Samanna- go ahead. It can happen anywhere. Btw the rental car company says that we are libel and have already charged our card because we had it running. Even though we have full insurance and we see on the contract it covers theft. La Samanna tells us that all of their security cameras were on and working and they didn't see the vehicle leave the compound. So I guess aliens came and took it ... We are seeking legal counsel. Sad just sad for such a beautiful place.

Cedar Point, North...
40. Re: Safety In Grand Case

That's too bad. Not trying to beat you up, just get a better understanding.

We stay at GCBC and they also have a gated property. I just can't imagine that happening there, but we will certainly keep our eyes open. Hope your legal issue goes well.

Reply to: Safety In Grand Case
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted