We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bring in $ from USA or not

Which Grand Case hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
illinois
Bring in $ from USA or not

If I follow the advice to pay with $ to get the $1/ 1 euro exchange rate, do I bring in cash from the States or is it possible to obtain dollars from an ATM machine or bank?

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
reviews: 6
1. Re: Bring in $ from USA or not

ATM machines dispense Euros on the French side and Guilders on the Dutch side.

You can exchange those Euros/Guilders for $US at any bank but that will defeat the purpose since the bank will charge you the going "Exchange Rate" so you'll lose value in the transaction.

Unless you have a bank account with one of the local banks you won't be able to write a check on your US bank and get any cash (Euros/Guilders/$US) at any of the banks. Even if you did have a local bank account or if you happen to use one of the same banks back home you could cash a check and got your money in $US you'd still have to pay the "Exchange Fee" .

So, moral of this is, if you want to pay in $US bring them with you.

Edited: 7:57 am, September 29, 2013
Cupecoy Bay, St...
reviews: 10
2. Re: Bring in $ from USA or not

You can get US$ at the ATM's on the Dutch side with no problems. Just be sure to push the "foreign currency" button or you will get guilders. Some banks here have agreements with stateside banks for no fees. We pay no fees at ScotiaBank with our Bank or America card.

Staten Island, New...
reviews: 9
3. Re: Bring in $ from USA or not

Elaine is correct (sxmlover) - you can obtain USD from the ATM's on the Dutch side. Agree Surfer said it is best to bring USD with you. The NAf and USD are pegged so there is little flux in the exchange rate.

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 4
4. Re: Bring in $ from USA or not

I've found it very handy to get $$ from the ATM machine at the Weston. We stay in Oyster Pond so it's a close run. As Elaine mentioned, if you have a Bank of America ATM/debit card there are no fees at Scotia Bank ATM's. Saves a lot of worry by not having to travel with or keep a lot of cash in room safe. I also find it handy to pre-purchase euro's, the smaller stores/restaurants around where we stay much appreciate cash payment in euro's.

Have a great trip

Central...
5. Re: Bring in $ from USA or not

Double check on the "no fees for BofA debit card"-- I got an update last month that they would be charging the 3% foreign transaction fee starting in either Oct or Nov; don't remember which.

Cupecoy Bay, St...
6. Re: Bring in $ from USA or not

I used my card a couple days ago with no issues. There is no foreign fee taking $$ from a $$ account

NY
7. Re: Bring in $ from USA or not

Is the ATM in the Westin a Scotiabank ATM?

Seattle, Washington
8. Re: Bring in $ from USA or not

Scotia Bank ATM yes (at least last Nov) just in side the lobby entrance to you left. One-armed bandits are close, stay away from those lol ATM - one for one, bandits 0

9. Re: Bring in $ from USA or not

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 11, 2014