We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Simpson Bay Resort and Marina

Which Simpson Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Farmingdale, New...
reviews: 5
Simpson Bay Resort and Marina

TripAdvisor Member,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We're sorry, but we weren't able to publish your review because we don't post reviews about timeshare exchanges or memberships on our site.

That said, you're very welcome to post your message on TripAdvisor Forums (http://www.tripadvisor.com/ForumHome). Forums are discussion boards in which members ask and answer as many travel-related questions as they like, share opinions and get travel help from fellow members.

We look forward to seeing your contribution to our community.

Best regards,

TripAdvisor Support Team

[127]

------original review-------

Subject: Simpson Bay Resort & Marina

Location: Simpson Bay, Sint Maarten, St Maarten-St Martin, Caribbean, North America

Title: COSTLY UPGRADES an FYI

ID#: 165773241

I own a MARRIOTT VACATION CLUB timeshare owner in Orlando,Florida.I have traded to other Marriott Club locations around the world and they are all "five star" level accommodations.When non Marriott owners trade to a Marriott property,they also get these same units as a Marriott owner without having to pay for upgraded villas.However,when a Marriott owner trades to a non Marriott property,for the most part they don't get equal accommodations unless they pay an upgrade fee.It doesn't seem fair at all. Such is the case at Simpson Bay resort and Marina.You may get an non renovated and may be offered an upgrade to a renovated unit at a price of about five hundred dollars or you may be offered for about a thousand dollars,you can get a new villa in the new villa section,which by the way would be at the same level as a Marriott Vacation Club "five star" accommodation.I will going there in the fall and will enjoy the Island of ST.MAARTEN and make the best of the room that we will occupy,as we pretty much just be sleeping in the room and enjoying the amenities.By the,another FYI,if people are going there on an exchange,and the rooms are available for fee for upgrades,they could just as well let the exchange guests enjoy the better units and maybe if they are treated in this manner,they may want to purchase a timeshare there. Having not been there yet,I cannot offer a rating this time.BTW, I am using Interval International for the exchange.Although I am traveling in the fall,I had to indicate that I traveled in September 2012 rather than September 2013 in order to post my review.

31 replies to this topic
St.Thomas,Ontario...
reviews: 7
1. Re: Simpson Bay Resort and Marina

If you look at this thread from Travel Talk on-line you will see that I have the same issue. I too own a timeshare with Marriott. I will be interested to see what your experience is like.

www.traveltalkonline.com/forums/showflat.php…

Princeton, New...
reviews: 1
2. Re: Simpson Bay Resort and Marina

If you are exchanging through Interval International then they are responsible for assigning your room from their inventory of deposited rooms, not Simpson Bay Resort. Once you are there, If you are not happy with your room then SBR can offer you a move or an upgrade based on the rooms that they have available that are not owned or rented. If Interval will give you the room number before you confirm your exchange you can then call the resort and get the information about that room. They should be able to tell you if it was renovated or not. The Simpson Bay Resort website has good maps of the resort wtih units and room numbers so you can see where it is located. http://www.simpsonbayresort.com/site-plan.asp

St.Thomas,Ontario...
3. Re: Simpson Bay Resort and Marina

I have been exchanging through II for the past 10 years and I do not agree with that last statement. I have never been assigned a specific unit prior to arriving at the resort. The unit number certainly is not on the confirmation certificate.

Farmingdale, New...
4. Re: Simpson Bay Resort and Marina

You are correct.However if you contact reservations before hand,you can ask them where your unit is and if not happy,you can upgrade for a fee or ask to be moved to another non-renovated unit.

Farmingdale, New...
5. Re: Simpson Bay Resort and Marina

I already know that I will be assigned a non-renovated unit,probably in the Beaumontia bldg.Us Marriott owners get screwed because we don't get equal level of Marriott style units and then if we want that level of quality,you have to pay a fee.II can't help, as the resort that you exchange to doesn't get any payment,only the chance to try to sell you an ownership.Not smart business to not put you at least in a renovated unit if available.I heard that Oyster Bay Resort upgraded a guest at no charge,that they said they were on their honeymoon.

Grayslake, Illinois
6. Re: Simpson Bay Resort and Marina

As an owner at Simpson Bay Resort, I must agree with the exchange procedure. Owners paid a significant special assessment for the rennovation and their units were not available for use during the rennovations. They are the ones who should be accommodated first. Much of the rennovation was planned for the Low Season (our units were updated about two weeks after our visit in late March) to lessen the

impact to owners. The B buildings are being rennovated during this current timeframe. Check out the Simpson Bay Resort website to see progress.

Farmingdale, New...
7. Re: Simpson Bay Resort and Marina

You miss the point.The point is if you as a Simpson Bay owner exchange to a Marriott property,you will get the same quality villa or unit that a Marriott owner gets.When you go to Simpson Bay as an exchange,you get an un renovated unit.Then if not happy with the unit,you have to pay to upgrade to a renovated unit that is vacant and not being used.Same goes for your villas.Some are empty and if upgrading to one of them costs you an extra $1000 to upgrade.That doesn't happen when you go to a Marriott Vacation Club.By the way, your villas are probably on a par with any Marriott Club.

Thunder Bay, Canada
reviews: 64
8. Re: Simpson Bay Resort and Marina

i am also a timeshare owner. but not with marriot. i really do not see what the problem is. you belong to marriot, which has its own internal trading club so to speak. if you exchange within that group you should get a unit comparable to what you own. but oce you decide to trade thru II or rci, you are at the mercy of what units are available. so if you don't think you will be happy at simpson bay, don't go there. go somewhere else. or wait until all renos are completed.

now that all being said......as someone who used to use rci to trade (we stopped trading due to non existent customer service on rci's part) we are "supposed" to only be offered a trade if it is up to the same standards that we own. but in reality, one persons opinion of what is comparable can be drastically different than another.

remember.....it is not always about the room itself. it is also about the time of year, the country, city, and/or the location in that country or city that they consider when deciding if it is "comparable" to what you own.

Farmingdale, New...
9. Re: Simpson Bay Resort and Marina

I beg to differ with the statement that Marriott has an internal trade.We use Interval International,AKA Interval world which works the same as RCI which one or the other,I'm not sure which one owns the other.Maybe your standard are lower than mine,but try to trade to any Marriott Club location and you might want to buy a few weeks there.Obviously you don't read the blogs or the TRIP ADVISOR comments,because if you did ,you would see how many people going on a trade to SBR have the same complaint that I do about being put in a non renovated unit,then if not satisfied asked to pay $600 for a reno unit ,or the villas for $1000.How would you like to trade to another timeshare,say Punta Cana and seeing those beautiful pics of updated rooms and villas and then being put in a unit where the A/C doesn't work,or leaks in the ceiling ,or bugs in the sink and tub.The reason that I booked at SBR was the location.As far as getting the same standard as what you own when trading,your villas may be on a par with Marriotts.Further, if you have a reno unit,you would be moving up in terms of modern and updated units.The only variable might be that you may not get an ocean front,or ocean view.

St.Thomas,Ontario...
10. Re: Simpson Bay Resort and Marina

Both points are understandable. I own a Marriott and bought a Marriott due to the quality. I do not expect that quality when I trade outside of Marriott, you do as much research as possible, roll the dice and take your chances. I hope everything works out, please let me know...we go March 2014. Booze and a hot wife can put the blinders on for the imperfections of the accomodations, if there are any.

Reply to: Simpson Bay Resort and Marina
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Simpson Bay