We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

violent robbery - Fort Louis, day time, Authorities?...

Which Marigot hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 2
violent robbery - Fort Louis, day time, Authorities?...

While we were in vacation, I read the local papers, amongst other things the robbery of the chains d' however, on the street, especially in the evening.

But I did not imagined that can occur into full day, in a place turistic like Fort Louis (Thursday March 22, 2012).

Moreover, after the violent robbery (there is a report of the Gendarmerie) we were badly surprised of what happend thereafter:

First was the violent roberry in top of the Fort. Four young men attacked my gilrfriend and myself and they stole (breaking) our chains, camera photo, the cell, threatening our lives. Looking for everything in our pockets and in the bag.

After the roberry, we ran in bottom of the little hill, at the Prefecture.

Both women which were there, did not wanted, quite simply not, to help us, telephoning at least the Police force!! (?)

Even when insisted, considering the gravity of the fact, both Madames invited us to seek by ourselves for the Police!

To seek the Police force, in Marigot is a a whole test. Finally a car of the Gendarmerie was stopped.

They led us to the Gendarmerie, but the way towards over there, is long and we'd believe the worst, considering the distance!

Finally arrived, the Madam gendarme, says to us to stay in the line !

The gendarme who led us in the car retained the first information to be able to make research, he said.

They ensured us that there is a surveillance camera close to the Fort, in order to identify the attackers, but…. all the the employees concerned were in… training (!?)

After more than one hour to attempt and still another hour, for the report, we left bitter to the hotel... we felt like no one could help us to be feel more secure on the island.

While we needed more the authorities, they seemed tu us more accomplice with the agressors. It is a pity!

Staten Island, New...
reviews: 8
1. Re: violent robbery - Fort Louis, day time, Authorities?...

Sorry to read about your troubles and the very poor police response, unfortunately places like Ft Louis being remote atop are ripe for these sort of activities - it is one heck of a walk up to the top and once there you're open to just about anything. Same for Pic Paradis (don't even think of walking up) . Readers should take note and be mindfull.

OIB, NC
2. Re: violent robbery - Fort Louis, day time, Authorities?...

I am sorry that this happened to you.

I assume you speak French, so I would assume communication with the police or gendarmes would not be a problem.

I hope they catch the perpetrators and prosecute them to the full extent of the law! Bon Chance

Ottawa, Canada
3. Re: violent robbery - Fort Louis, day time, Authorities?...

I am wondering if people met often with this situation ( in St-Martin specifically but also elsewhere) but they do not have the pleasure to remember and so to write on the trip advisor.

It seems that the respossibles of this site do not agree with negative situation and they take the right to delete the negative posts.

It's a funny way to keep people informed, I think.

4. Re: violent robbery - Fort Louis, day time, Authorities?...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:35 am, April 03, 2012
Edited: 4:35 am, April 03, 2012
Cookham Dean...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
5. Re: violent robbery - Fort Louis, day time, Authorities?...

tripadvisor.co.uk/help/our_guidelines_for_tr…

Perhaps you should read the guidelines, specifically those points related to Family Friendly.

6. Re: violent robbery - Fort Louis, day time, Authorities?...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:35 am, April 03, 2012
Edited: 6:35 am, April 03, 2012
Staten Island, New...
reviews: 8
7. Re: violent robbery - Fort Louis, day time, Authorities?...

The OP's post is still there - yours apparently violated TA rules however - i suspect it will again be removed.

Cookham Dean...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
8. Re: violent robbery - Fort Louis, day time, Authorities?...

yep, contravenes the guidelines, if a post is removed then you don't query it on the forum, but either let it go or write to TA.......

Yardley...
reviews: 9
9. Re: violent robbery - Fort Louis, day time, Authorities?...

i don't know who or what was deleted but seems that the report of the incidient is still here so i don't understand why the OP is complaining about deletions. very sorry this happened to the OP.

Cookham Dean...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
10. Re: violent robbery - Fort Louis, day time, Authorities?...

The OP is not complaining, it was someone else who posted twice against the guidelines.

Get answers to your questions about Marigot