We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need reviews re: Mercure Simson Beach Hotel & Sonesta Maho...

Which St Maarten-St Martin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
British Columbia
Need reviews re: Mercure Simson Beach Hotel & Sonesta Maho...

My 17-year-old daughter and I are planning a last minute mother/daughter rest & relaxation holiday at the end of March to St. Martin/St. Maarten. We have never been here before. I would greatly appreciate any reviews on these three hotels. We are looking for a nice, clean hotel, good beach and pool. These three hotels all offer All Inclusive plans, we have found the caribbean to be quite expensive regarding dining alacarte. Any comments?? We enjoy good food, I don't drink alcohol, but love my bottled water. Our family travels a lot, we are very social and enjoy meeting people from all over the world. Is it a safe place for 2 women? We do not speak french or dutch ?? any language barrier to consider? Any comments would be greatly appreciated, Thank You :)

Long Island, NY
reviews: 1
1. Re: Need reviews re: Mercure Simson Beach Hotel & Sonesta Maho...

Whatever you do, stay away from Mont Vernon - Scary!

new york
2. Re: Need reviews re: Mercure Simson Beach Hotel & Sonesta Maho...

stay away from inn at cupecoy

awful construction across the street

terribly intrusive

try cupecoy beach club

beautiful views,immaculate,great security

quiet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

easy walk to mullet,maho and sonesta

new york
3. Re: Need reviews re: Mercure Simson Beach Hotel & Sonesta Maho...

stay away from inn at cupecoy-beautiful views,immaculate,great securityS-awful construction across the street-terribly intrusive-easy walk to mullet,maho and sonesta

montreal
reviews: 2
4. Re: Need reviews re: Mercure Simson Beach Hotel & Sonesta Maho...

I was at Mercure simson beach in january and I would recommend it. The rooms are nice and clean with huge terrasse ( ask for a room with a view on the lagoon).

The pool is beautiful and is always empty... so

you can really enjoy it. ( most people prefer the beach...) Personnaly I stayed at the pool.

Dont take the all inclusive, so you will have more freedom and more choice.

The beach is very peaceful and you can really relax.

Food is very good, with big breakfast buffet.

The rates are low compare to what you get.

Carabbeans are more expensive but its a more exclusive destination.

The island is safe as long as you 2 dont walk alone at in midnid on the street, I mean every where you go, you have to take precautions. IN St-Martin, you need to rent a car to go around the island and to try the different beaches.

Its very beautiful.

have a great vacation

montreal
reviews: 2
5. Re: Need reviews re: Mercure Simson Beach Hotel & Sonesta Maho...

I was at Mercure simson beach in january and I would recommend it. The rooms are nice and clean with huge terrasse ( ask for a room with a view on the lagoon).

The pool is beautiful and is always empty... so

you can really enjoy it. ( most people prefer the beach...) Personnaly I stayed at the pool.

Dont take the all inclusive, so you will have more freedom and more choice.

The beach is very peaceful and you can really relax.

Food is very good, with big breakfast buffet.

The rates are low compare to what you get.

Carabbeans are more expensive but its a more exclusive destination.

The island is safe as long as you 2 dont walk alone at in midnid on the street, I mean every where you go, you have to take precautions. IN St-Martin, you need to rent a car to go around the island and to try the different beaches.

Its very beautiful.

have a great vacation

Providence, RI
6. Re: Need reviews re: Mercure Simson Beach Hotel & Sonesta Maho...

how far a walk is it from the copocuy beach club to maho or do u have to drive??? thanks

Cupecoy Bay, St...
reviews: 5
7. Re: Need reviews re: Mercure Simson Beach Hotel & Sonesta Maho...

Too far and too dark to walk.

USA
8. Re: Need reviews re: Mercure Simson Beach Hotel & Sonesta Maho...

Just got back on 3-7,stayed at Maho Sonesta-safe for 2 women lots of security,hotel and street. Easy to get 1.50/person bus ride to Phillipsburg-great shopping,and they will deal there, even with better prices than the French side who will not weal and deal. 3 restaurants at the Maho if you want all incl. some rest and shopping around and across the street-no problem at night. Got a pretty godd 7 day deal through Apple Vacations for this week we took. Everyone speaks English even thought the official language is Dutch / French. French side higher prices in general.The hotel has had some upgrades since our last trip and is very well kept up.If you go there let me know what you think. HAVE FUN!

Montreal, Quebec
reviews: 4
9. Re: Need reviews re: Mercure Simson Beach Hotel & Sonesta Maho...

We stayed at the Mont Vernon in early January 2005. We had a wonderful time. The hotel is perched on a bluff above a beautiful beach. If you are moblity impaired or simply very unfit the hike from the beach to the dining room may be a challenge.The rooms are large and clean and all have an ocean view as far as I know. The food was great. Many reviewers trash the food but we disagree. The all inclusive is well worth it. We had grilled steak, salmon, stuffed crab, roast duck, great chicken and more. The french pastries, chocolate mousse and creme caramel are offered at lunch and dinner and are irresistible We are used to fine restaurants, living in Montreal, so feel qualified to judge. Avoid room 2101. No telephone, patio doors need the strength of a man to open.

It is very safe on Orient Beach. We left watches and sunglasses,etc. on the beach while we swam. This is not a resort for swinging, hyper singles. It is subdued and relaxing. It is perfect for families. Each and every Canadian we met who stayed there was pleased.

The staff are standoffish ( as are most of the natives on the island ) but you are not pestered. No one is falling all over you so can feel comfortable in not tipping at every turn. In fact, you needed tip at all.The men at the front desk in the evening are more pleasant and more willing to help you out than the daytime women. We got our room changed in the evening when the woman at the front desk in the morning swore they were full.Try not to take it personally. The bartender at the pool gets grouchy by 3PM so we rewarded his surliness by not tipping. Worked for us!

You can't get cash advances on your credit card at the reception. They don't exchange currencies. There is a bank machine about a 10-15 minute walk away. It gives Euros.

They will lend you a hairdryer at the hotel but the rooms are not equipped with one.

If you choose not to take the all inclusive expect to pay over $100 US for a meal without wine in Grand Case. The food outside the hotel is very expensive.

I suggest renting a car for one day to tour the island. Otherwise a cab from Mont Vernon to Grand Case is about $8. Ask for the Silver Eagle or Hawk guy at the front desk. They have his card. His rates are the cheapest and he is reliable and honest. Other cabs failed to return when we had arranged for a drive back.

If the naked body horrifies you, be prepared as the naturalists from the other end of the beach stroll by. They are usually older couples and the whole experience makes you wonder why anybody bothers too wear a bathing suit.

We found the Dutch side to be overcrowded and americanized. We go to the Caribbean to experience another way of life so the French side was more to our liking.

toronto
10. Re: Need reviews re: Mercure Simson Beach Hotel & Sonesta Maho...

I am going to mecure on march 18th and will write a review when I return, hearing you can;t swim at their beach due to sewage from the boats contaminating the water was a major turnoff, it adds to the cost too because you must pay for chairs umbrellas at other beaches and get transport there.

I have only heard bad things about mount veron so didnt book it even though it is supposidly beside the best beach on the island.

my coworker went to the maho bay and said the planes going over head was not great.Its right beside the airport runway.

Get answers to your questions about St Maarten-St Martin