We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Divi Little Bay Resort

MA
Divi Little Bay Resort

We are timeshare owners at this resort and have just (2/06) returned from a 2 week vacation. The resort is on Little Bay in a great setting, and as usual, the resort staff, and especially the front desk director Camille Ashby, were extremely friendly and very helpful. All our needs were met, and we look foward to coming back next year. We have stayed in several time share resorts in this area, and we absolutely believe that Divi Little Bay is the best.

Boston, MA
reviews: 30
1. Re: Divi Little Bay Resort

Hi, there. We're at the Divi in June for our honeymoon. It's the second half of our trip and we're really looking forward to it. Right now, we have a studio. I've seen some mixed reviews...do you have any information as far as the renovations that have supposedly been going on?

We own at the Divi Dutch Village and Aruba and love that. We're hoping for a similar experience.

Thanks.

New York
2. Re: Divi Little Bay Resort

Shouzi, I think your timing was much better than ours. You missed the water outages!

I literally just got back from the Divi and was very disappointed. Yes, the location is gorgeous, and beach is beautiful although cruise ship excursions invade on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays, the sunsets are spectacular, and even the hotel room was fine (ours was on the second floor facing the ocean with a wonderful view). You also get to see the ships dock on the Great Bay side, and of course watch them sail away in the evening.

Unfortunately, the second day after our arrival the entire complex did not have water. That meant no showers and no toilet flushing--and of course no clean towels. I literally used the same beach towel for 5 of the 7 days there. Forget about getting washcloths or extra towels! I found myself taking them off the housekeeping cart. Ditto for coffee in the room. Somehow I lost track of how many coffee packets I had, and lo and behold one day I was out of coffee. As a big coffee drinker, I ended up trekking over to the restaurant and paid nearly 3 dollars for one lousy cup. The coffee shop/internet cafe on the premises has the slowest service on the planet, and if you don't get there early you will not get any pastries. Even if you do arrive early, the pastry selection is not very good.

We had one meal at the restaurant, and it was surprisingly not that bad. We went on "Italian night" and chose the buffet. The food was decent although hardly gourmet.

We spoke to some time share owners who described nightmare problems with check-in (overbooking due to an entire 18-unit building still not being completed after several years of construction). As I understand it, the problem lies in the management. The general manager took off for England during my stay, and the assistant manager was nowhere to be seen during the water crisis. The only thing that management did for us was give us free bottled water. Big deal.

There is some maintenance going on. We saw painters fixing up the peeling paint on some of the buildings. Overall the hotel part was not in bad condition. I assume the rooms were recently renovated. One woman I met today complained that her room was filthy, but I think she was staying in a time share unit.

Another unpleasant part of the stay was constant sewage removal trucks on the premises. I swear, they were in and out of the resort night and day. There was a rather foul odor at times, too. Also, as you exit the property, there is a huge hole where I think the men are trying to work on the water/sewer problem. Thus, you can only enter and leave through one side of the security gate. Incidentally, you are not given much information from the employees when you ask why there is a particular problem or when you can expect it to be resolved. You learn more from talking to other guests.

I will probably write a letter of complaint to the management in North Carolina when I find the time. I will also advise my travel agent to steer people clear of the Divi until it gets its act together.

New York
3. Re: Divi Little Bay Resort

I forgot to add that the water outages occurred on 2 of the 7 days I was there. It began on Wed, February 15th around 10 a.m. and did not come back on until Wednesday morning. On Thursday, we woke up without water again. The water came back on Friday morning and stayed on through the rest of my stay. I just didn't want to give the impression that water was out the entire week.

Jekyll Island...
reviews: 221
4. Re: Divi Little Bay Resort

Shouzi, I truly believe that as owners of units at the resort you are given preferential treatment. From what I've read in this and other forums, owners are given the newly remodeled units. Time share exchangers (like me) are given whatever unit is available, hence all the negative comments we are seeing.

New York
5. Re: Divi Little Bay Resort

Cathyd-

I spoke to a family that has owned a time share at Divi since 1996. They have had problems during every visit, although this time was the worst--the water outages as well as a huge mixup with their reservation. They own a 2-bedroom unit for 2 weeks but had to live in a hotel room (a bed and bath without any kitchen, just a refrigerator if you're lucky) for one of those weeks and were eventually upgraded to a one-bedroom which was insufficient for 7 people. Anyway, my point is that no one I met was happy with the Divi last week. What is very common is for the Divi to "lose" reservations, particularly the time share owners. We were told that the units are "oversold" because one building with 18 units is still under renovation but the resort is booking the units anyway because they had hoped they'd be finished by now. When guests arrive, they get sent over to the hotel which is much smaller. I do know that some people who really complained loudly were given a free week next year. Unfortunately, I would not even stay there for free.

I blame poor management for this diamond in the rough. It's truly a beautiful spot in a good location. Too bad that no one seems to know how to run it properly.

Boston...
6. Re: Divi Little Bay Resort

This is why we don't buy into timesharing --

Boston, MA
7. Re: Divi Little Bay Resort

Or, maybe it's because you don't go on vacation enough.

Jekyll Island...
reviews: 221
8. Re: Divi Little Bay Resort

I've sent several emails to the resort asking for an explanation of some of the complaints with a cc to Divi in North Carolina. Never got a response. I don't think either of them care about customer service or satisfaction. We arrive on the 11th and am basically dreading it already. My husband tells me no matter what I'll hate it, so I'm trying to be positive, but each posting reaffirms my fears.

New York
9. Re: Divi Little Bay Resort

Cathyd-

You are right. No one at Divi cares about the guests. With any luck, you won't have a major problem. I suggest you keep your attitude positive at this point.

My travel agent told me that if I had called her from St. Maarten, she would have made arrangements to put us in another hotel. If you booked through a travel agent, you might be able to do the same if something unacceptable should happen during your visit.

Good luck!

Boston, MA
10. Re: Divi Little Bay Resort

It is really too bad that Divi has developed this poor, though deserved, reputation for its customer service. The properties are nice and they are located on great islands. I must say that even though we really enjoy the Divi in Aruba, both the stateside and local staff are not plugged in to the service aspect of the business.