We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Real Estate in St. Maaretn

Which St Maarten-St Martin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Miami
Real Estate in St. Maaretn

Has anyone out here purchased property on St. Maarten? Iam interested but I'd like painfully honest advice on the good and the bad.

I would be looking at the property as an investment.

Thanks - look forward to responses!

football
reviews: 3
1. Re: Real Estate in St. Maaretn

I purchased a condo on the Dutch side near Dawn Beach 2 years ago. There is an awful lot to cover, so it probably can't be done in one posting. You probably need to look more closely at the Dutch side, because the tax treatment is much more favorable than the French side. (unless you are a French citizen). You definitely need a good honest realtor to guide you thru the process - Sunshine Realty in Simpson Bay is the best. You need to find a property that rents well and is also closely managed by somebody who either lives there or who is closely tied to the property. Prices on St Maarten have risen dramatically over the past years just as they have in most parts of the world. It can be a great investment and a great place to own and vacation. My advice would be to buy a property on St Maarten because you want to own, and you like the island, and you will use it. If you do that and make money besides, then it will be terrific for you. If all you are interested in doing is making money, then go closer to home because it will be easier in the long run. It's an island in the Caribbean and things don't always move as quickly or as smoothly as you would hope.

The actual mechanics of purchasing are not bad at all. It's different than in the US, but fairly painless. Just use a realtor that represents you and who is honest and knows what to do. There are multiple new projects that you can buy into right away. Spend 3-4 days looking around the island and checking things out. It's not a large island and after a couple of days, you'll have it all figured out. Good luck!

Cupecoy Bay, St...
reviews: 7
2. Re: Real Estate in St. Maaretn

Agree totally with the above poster. We are in the middle of building a condo on the Dutch side. Without the guidance, assistance and knowledge of our realtor Dieter Schade of Sunshine Properties, I don't know if I would dare deal with it on my own.

We actually did alot of homework on the realtor before we jumped in. Dieter, apart from being a very genuine and friendly fellow, knows the answer to every question we have asked.

http://www.sunshine-properties.com/

Good luck!

St. maarten
reviews: 1
3. Re: Real Estate in St. Maaretn

The French side is real estate law is very complicated and would also recommend the Dutch side and Sunshine

Happy house hunting!

Get answers to your questions about St Maarten-St Martin