We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jalousie Plantation - day passes

Which Soufriere hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
reviews: 38
Jalousie Plantation - day passes

some time ago I remembered seeing a post mentioning day passes are no longer available. I e-mailed the resort to enquire about it and received this reply:

"At the Jalousie Plantation we do offer day passes in the form of a wrist band at a cost of USD $50 per adult and USD $35 per child within the age of 5 – 12 years old.

This Wrist band entitles you to the use of the beach chairs, toilet facilities, Guest car park, Internal shuttle service and the Bayside Restaurant.

The use of the Swimming pool and Water Sports are not included, however you are entitled to a USD $25 food credit per adult and USD $10 food credit per child within the stipulated age range."

Chicago Burbs, IL
Destination Expert
for Soufriere
21. Re: Jalousie Plantation - day passes

"we walked out of Mango Tree one night prior to visiting Jalousie. It was too pricey - ($9.50USD for a salad is ridiculous)"

Opps...did you mean you walked out of ~Mango Tree~ at Stonefield because it was to pricey?

Colorado Springs...
reviews: 1
22. Re: Jalousie Plantation - day passes

When you factor in the high costs of raising salad greens - in an alien tropical environment (greenhouse, seeds/plants, fertilizer, pest control, water, refrigerated delivery) while maintaining consistent quality & reliably meeting demand there's not much profit left over for the local farmers co-operative.

USD 9.50 for this luxury salad is quite a bargain.

Edited: 12:44 pm, July 17, 2011
St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
reviews: 10
23. Re: Jalousie Plantation - day passes

yes, Flowers, it really is an issue for locals - not only tour operators. Perhaps you can re-read the article from the link in my earlier post. Perhaps you should come experience it as a colored local person. Perhaps you shouldn't discount local's experiences just because we are locals. When my vehicle gets stopped at the gate and searched and they will not allow my husband to drive through - even as the road through Jalousie is a through road to the beach past their property - they will not allow us to drive through to another section of the beach- we are told we must park at the gate. When they won't allow us to park in the "public parking lot" but must park at the gate and walk down. However, when it is me alone in my vehicle - no problem. (He is black, I am white - you tell me why I don't get stopped when i am alone, but he does. And when we are together it's 50/50 what the gate tells us - sometimes they take him as my driver and sometimes we park by the gate.)

When we come in by water taxi and are told we may not site under the shade and have to keep to the "public portion" of the beach, it is definitely an issue for locals, not just tour operators. And we are not isolated experiences.

When you advertise your beach and Great Room restaurants and Rainforest Spa as open to the public and then don't allow the public access, that is a problem. When you deliberately block public access to the public beach, it is a problem for locals. While not a whole lot of locals frequent this beach - there are other beaches without the hotels on them -it is still an issue as these are our patrimony and yes - it is a real shame the beachfront has been leased or sold off. However, the resorts that are beachfront are not supposed to be blocking access to the beach - that is part of the lease or sale options. In more private areas though, it is not always being enforced. And that IS a problem for locals.

And PS: what was wrong with gdbear65's statement

"we walked out of Mango Tree one night prior to visiting Jalousie. It was too pricey - ($9.50USD for a salad is ridiculous)" It says very clearly PRIOR to visiting Jalousie. Not that they were AT Jalousie. Whether you agree with $9.50US for a salad being ridiculous or not is beside the point as you were pointing out the location - and they weren't wrong there!

Colorado Springs...
reviews: 1
24. Re: Jalousie Plantation - day passes

There are no "free" public restrooms in St. Lucia.

"Comfort Zones" charge a nominal fee (which varies depending on location & traffic) covering your portion of toilet paper, caretaker salaries and maintenance of the facility. No lounge chairs or shelters, though.

Local tour operators and the majority of land & water taxis are an offshoot of the only industry on the island - tourism. This is often the only way available for local entrepreneurs to pentrate the "tourism industry".

These services do not restrict local's access to their island's beaches, valleys, mountains in any way.

Before tourism, and still today, locals will walk, use public minivans, personal vehicles or boats to get where they want to go.

The issue at Jalousie Resort (and others) from Colin Tennant's arrival until today is that the "Cabinet agreed to lease the portion of the Queen’s Chain that abuts the Jalousie Sugar Beach Villas Development (the resort) for a period of ninety-nine (99) years with a right to purchase the same within five years."

In other words the Government has agreed to sell the Queen's Chain to Tides Sugar Beach.

The law - Appendix II of Volume VI of Saint Lucia’s Revised Ordinances 1957 establishes the Queen's Chain and Article 355 of the Civil Code of Saint Lucia states that “... the Queen’s Chain, ..., are considered as being dependencies of the Crown domain.”

As part of the Crown’s domain the QC belongs to the people of Saint Lucia, for which the Government is the custodian.

The Government's "legal" defense behind these land-grabs has always been that economic development of the "Queen's Chain" benefits all St. Lucians, individually & collectively through job creation and economic opportunities.

Now that "development" has changed into "sale" it appears evident that only those in control benefit.

Toronto
reviews: 38
25. Re: Jalousie Plantation - day passes

Yes we walked out of Mango Tree. It was actually my wife's decision - I was there for a nice meal but when she saw the menu prices, she first thought it was in EC. When I told her it was USD, she was shocked and immediately wanted to leave.

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
reviews: 10
26. Re: Jalousie Plantation - day passes

regarding the "sale" of the Queen's Chain to Jalousie/Tides at Sugar Beach and legality. This matter is currently still awaiting the courts and at issue with the government. It has not gone through....yet.

slunatrust.org/userpages//QueensChainPressRe…

27. Re: Jalousie Plantation - day passes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 am, October 03, 2012