We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anse Chastanet or Jalousie Plantation?

Which Soufriere hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Harpers Ferry, West...
reviews: 2
Anse Chastanet or Jalousie Plantation?

I am looking at staying at one of these resorts for my wife and I's upcoming 10th yr anniversary in April.

I want something romantic with a great view and access to the beach.

Which would you recommend more: Anse Chastanet or Jalousie Plantation?

At either, which of the room upgrades is the most affordable while still offering the best veiw of the ocean and/or Pitons?

Thanks for any advice/suggestions you may have!

Andy

Jersey City, New...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, St. Lucia
reviews: 5
1. Re: Anse Chastanet or Jalousie Plantation?

Jalousie hands down and up. Do a search within the SLU forum and you'll see that I've stated all my reasons why again and again.

One of the most incredible locations you'll ever see, ever!!! Truly as their original ad campaign said, "Where Heaven Meets Earth!" Swimming in the resort's marine preserve was like swimming in an aquarium.

Happy Planning and have a glorious time celebrating your first decade together!!

Chicago, Il
reviews: 43
2. Re: Anse Chastanet or Jalousie Plantation?

I'm also a Jalousie fan. Biggest difference: air conditioning at Jalousie, none at Anse. I need my a-c after showering & for sleeping sans bugs. Wifey needs it to get ready for dinner.

But seriously, plenty enjoy Anse. We toured the property. It is unique, just not for us. Plus the rates are higher than Jalousie. Jalousie feels more spread out, too. White sand beach w/free hobie cats & snorkeling. Very romantic sunsets, and outdoor couples massage from the hillside spa.

At Jalousie, a regular Villa is fine. I'd recommend the 200 or 300 blocks. Just enough up the hill for the view, but low enough to walk to the beach & facilities if necessary instead of shuttle van. You can then upgrade to a Villa Suite which offers a separate sitting room w/TV and a (slightly) larger plunge pool. Each building consists of one villa attached to one villa suite. There are bushes or ferns separating the plunge pools for privacy.

April is a fantastic month to go. Rates change lower around that time, so check their calendar & possibly save some $$$. Plus they're running some fantastic deals: pay for x days, get x days free. See their website.

Bye,

SeaBass

New York, NY
reviews: 14
3. Re: Anse Chastanet or Jalousie Plantation?

JALOUSIE!!!! It is soooo romantic... and the beach is nicer (and quieter, more intimate)

Vermont
4. Re: Anse Chastanet or Jalousie Plantation?

Anse Chastanet! The beach is excellent there--great snorkeling. I went in december and did not find it crowded at all. There is also another more private beach that is a 10 minute walk to the north. This can be very secluded.

The restaurants were also excellent. One is indian/caribbean themed that has tandoori lobster!

For room upgrades: I think something special would be the Hillside Deluxe category. Not as pricey as the Premiums but awesome views of the Pitons and Ocean.

Juc

NC
reviews: 10
5. Re: Anse Chastanet or Jalousie Plantation?

Jalouise! You won't regret it.

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
reviews: 105
6. Re: Anse Chastanet or Jalousie Plantation?

Jalousie is very romantic.

San Diego
reviews: 1
7. Re: Anse Chastanet or Jalousie Plantation?

How difficult is it to get from Jalousie P to the recommended restaurants? The pix of JP don't look to interesting and Caribbean. What is so romantic about it?

New Jersey
8. Re: Anse Chastanet or Jalousie Plantation?

We just got back from Jalousie on Sunday and it was just spectacular. All the villas are up and down the mountainside so every where you go, there is a stunning view of the beach below. It is tough to go outside the resort to eat though. We didn't do all-inclusive and almost wished we did. The restaurants on premise are all amazing but extremely expensive. $48 lunch buffet and dinners range around $35 and up and that is without the $25 salad bar if you want anything with your meal. It's a $30 cab ride to get to the nearest town, Soufriere and there's not much there to see or do. So there's really no where else to go to eat. I definitely recommend staying here though as opposed to a hotel in the northern part of the island near Castries. We took a very long and winding road trip and its just so busy and city like that you instantly want to be back in the lush part of the south where Jalousie is. Things not to miss - Piton Waterfall (warm mineral baths-amazing!), Sulphur Springs where you can bath in sulphur rich very hot muddy water that is supposed to be very healthy for you, and our favorite all time adventure was the canopy zip-lining where you zip along lines on top of the trees. Its not scary at all and I'm terrified of heights and any amusement park rides. It is a definite must do. Bring a black bathing suit if you want to go in the muddy sulphur springs and if you stay at Jalousie and get a plunge pool, they are very cold. Nobody really uses them at all.

New Jersey
9. Re: Anse Chastanet or Jalousie Plantation?

One more thing, you do have to take their shuttle buses whereever you go. A few villas are within walking distance to the beach, but most are up the hillsides and its just too steep to walk down and especially up. But you get used to it and you just call them and they show up rather quickly. Mostly Brits stay here which is kind of fun too hearing all the accents. And they taught us how to play cricket!

Jersey City, New...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, St. Lucia
reviews: 5
10. Re: Anse Chastanet or Jalousie Plantation?

NewJerseyNancy,

Glad you had a good experience at Jalousie!Reading your trip report, which was very good, brought back great memories of my trip there last March.

By the by I really did use my plunge pool. It was a great refresher before showering and dressing for dinner, and sometimes late at night after dinner. Truly enjoyed being immersed in the water and star gazing.

Now if we could only close our eyes and open them standing on the beach at Jalousie's marine preserve.... Happiness is....the thought of such things.